Author Topic: SPIDER-JAZZ Music from the 60s Spider-Man Cartoon!!  (Read 128 times)

Martin G

• Just joined
    • View Profile
SPIDER-JAZZ Music from the 60s Spider-Man Cartoon!!
« on: February 05, 2019, 01:57:27 PM »
https://trunkrecords.greedbag.com/buy/spider-jazz/

Blimey guys very excited about this. Kids in the UK will first have been introduced to the show in the early 1970s. However it was a good five or six years old at that stage having been screened in the US in the 1960s. Done on the cheap with library music to add atmosphere rather than specific composers I always loved the quirky Jazzy music even as a kid. Worked superbly well. Given the source for much of the music a guy over here describes in the link how and why he came to get this LP together. Of course now like a few of us I have a little bit of an ear for jazzy 60s music with keyboards and flute, sax etc despite not being an afficianado of any sort. Can't wait to hear it all again whilst thumbing through some vintage comics.

Col Wolfe

• East Anglia
    • View Profile
    • >>> Spoke Records <<<
Re: SPIDER-JAZZ Music from the 60s Spider-Man Cartoon!!
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2019, 04:37:16 PM »
I grabbed a copy of that when it was released.

I find it amusing that they werenít allowed to say Spider-Man on any packaging or liner notes!  🕷

Martin G

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2019, 04:48:50 PM »
Nice one mate. I only just heard about it. I mentioned it to a pal who said "Oh yeah Johnny Trunk is a mate of mine. Thought you knew about this?" I am coming very late to this Spider-Party. Can't wait for my copy. Due tomorrow I hope. Yeah it is funny but as library music the fella could pretty easy negotiate rights and fees but of course he can't mention the main selling point is that it was all used in the Spidey cartoon show but word is spreading and the cover looks great too. What's it like then mate? I have the DVD set and still watch an episode or two each week and that music is great.

Col Wolfe

• East Anglia
    • View Profile
    • >>> Spoke Records <<<
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2019, 06:49:03 PM »
Nice one mate. I only just heard about it. I mentioned it to a pal who said "Oh yeah Johnny Trunk is a mate of mine. Thought you knew about this?" I am coming very late to this Spider-Party. Can't wait for my copy. Due tomorrow I hope. Yeah it is funny but as library music the fella could pretty easy negotiate rights and fees but of course he can't mention the main selling point is that it was all used in the Spidey cartoon show but word is spreading and the cover looks great too. What's it like then mate? I have the DVD set and still watch an episode or two each week and that music is great.

Yeah, itís a decent compilation.  Iím a big library music fan anyway so nothing new for me here but the tracklist flows nicely.  Mainly bossa and beat-jazz.  All good.

Trunk also recently released a comp of the 3 KPM Jazz Conventions, which youíd probably like too 👍🏽

https://trunkrecords.greedbag.com/buy/kpm-jazz-conventions/

Martin G

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2019, 01:48:09 PM »
Cheers Col. It looks to be due to mine at any minute if the tracker is to be believed. I do love a bit of old library stuff but this guy really is an absolute fanatic in the best possible way. My buddy advised he was a part of the SOUND GALLERY team which to this day is a regular part of my listening routine. More power to him and thanks for the pointers too mate.

Col Wolfe

• East Anglia
    • View Profile
    • >>> Spoke Records <<<
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2019, 07:22:45 PM »
Cheers Col. It looks to be due to mine at any minute if the tracker is to be believed. I do love a bit of old library stuff but this guy really is an absolute fanatic in the best possible way. My buddy advised he was a part of the SOUND GALLERY team which to this day is a regular part of my listening routine. More power to him and thanks for the pointers too mate.

Sound Gallery was a major game changer for me from a collecting and DJing perspective 👍🏽

Martin G

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2019, 08:07:54 PM »
Class aren't they! My pal is the model on the front of them as it goes. David Of London back then and now a major costumier from many a blockbuster movie. Lovely geezer too. All of that gang had great taste in music and clobber.