Author Topic: Forum, future etc  (Read 6365 times)

Woody 64

• Old fogey
    • View Profile
Re: Forum, future etc
« Reply #60 on: February 13, 2019, 02:15:20 PM »
Brilliant news!! Hats off to Adam for the sponsorship, Dave for committing to another year and to Martin and Rod who were/are prepared to step into the breach. Nice one, lads  8)

I an certainly guilty of not posting as much as I should. Sadly, my work/life balance is all over the place at the minute so, whilst I pop in and peruse every day when I get the chance, I have little to offer on a daily basis. Hopefully things will settle down soon and that will change.

Hope so Doc,

Always value your input bud.

Rod

• Style in the Modern World
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 13, 2019, 06:27:53 PM »
Great news. I for one will try and post more. As someone who doesnt go to Mod events and doesnt have any friends in the scene this forum felt like my only connection to like minded individuals.

Yup thats me too which is why I value the forum so much and why Iím encouraging active and dormant members to re-up their commitment to participating actively. Iím chuffed to see it get another lease of life. Iíd be shouting into the wind otherwise! Cheers to Dave, Adam, and everyone who makes this a class place to come to for my daily dose!

[Sidebar] Thereís a lad who posts on the ĎMod To Suedeheadí thread in Styleforum ... donít be fooled by the title of the thread it was originally entitled Ďskinheadsí but had to be changed so as not to be conflated with right wing nutters, but itís focus remains mostly skin and suede style and rarely Mod style ... anyway the lad is a bit protective of the skin/suede theme of the thread and keeps saying how he doesnít want it to devolve into a Mod thread as according to him there are plenty other places all over the Internet especially dedicated to Mods.

Is that true?

Iím not on Facebook so know nothing about that. I donít need knownof any other discussion sites besides here and Mod Generation. MG is OK but the format is atrocious and thereís a heavy leaning towards discussing music which leaves me cold as thereís no clearly defined ĎMod Musicí and even if there were its soooo subjective. As for blogs, besides my own which was my attempt to fill a void, Iím only aware of the lad in Canada who posts very rarely and again has a heavy leaning towards music and his DJ adventures which donít interest me.  I suppose there must be scooter blogs but not being a scooter owner - yet - I havenít gone looking there.

Are there really a plethora of Mod websites that Iím missing, or is that lad on SF overstating things?

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 13, 2019, 07:09:37 PM »
Great news. I for one will try and post more. As someone who doesnt go to Mod events and doesnt have any friends in the scene this forum felt like my only connection to like minded individuals.

Yup thats me too which is why I value the forum so much and why Iím encouraging active and dormant members to re-up their commitment to participating actively. Iím chuffed to see it get another lease of life. Iíd be shouting into the wind otherwise! Cheers to Dave, Adam, and everyone who makes this a class place to come to for my daily dose!

[Sidebar] Thereís a lad who posts on the ĎMod To Suedeheadí thread in Styleforum ... donít be fooled by the title of the thread it was originally entitled Ďskinheadsí but had to be changed so as not to be conflated with right wing nutters, but itís focus remains mostly skin and suede style and rarely Mod style ... anyway the lad is a bit protective of the skin/suede theme of the thread and keeps saying how he doesnít want it to devolve into a Mod thread as according to him there are plenty other places all over the Internet especially dedicated to Mods.

Is that true?

Iím not on Facebook so know nothing about that. I donít need knownof any other discussion sites besides here and Mod Generation. MG is OK but the format is atrocious and thereís a heavy leaning towards discussing music which leaves me cold as thereís no clearly defined ĎMod Musicí and even if there were its soooo subjective. As for blogs, besides my own which was my attempt to fill a void, Iím only aware of the lad in Canada who posts very rarely and again has a heavy leaning towards music and his DJ adventures which donít interest me.  I suppose there must be scooter blogs but not being a scooter owner - yet - I havenít gone looking there.

Are there really a plethora of Mod websites that Iím missing, or is that lad on SF overstating things?

Well, to my knowledge, leaving aside Dave's related sites (MC, Retro-to-Go and His Knibs), there are a number of "mod" oriented sites and blogs out there (New Untouchables, for instance), even in spanish, but they usually update their contents at snail's pace (like the Parka Avenue blog you mention), and yes, music is their main concern (to prove the point, tho' not exactly mod-oriented, 2 forumees, Ian Eggbert and Monkey, keep active very fine music blogs). Anyway, using the word "plethora" here would be an overstatement.

If it's just mod forums we're discussing, I know the MG one, which is decent except as you say for its weird format, a spanish-language one called "HipocondrŪa Mods" (which is in a comatose state in the last years) and the GREATEST modernist forum ever (guess which?)

detroitmike

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 14, 2019, 12:34:18 AM »
...As for blogs, besides my own which was my attempt to fill a void, Iím only aware of the lad in Canada who posts very rarely and again has a heavy leaning towards music and his DJ adventures which donít interest me....
Rod, the blogger from Canada isn't from Quebec by any chance, is he?  A fellow named Dominic?
"War is not the answer, because only love can conquer hate..."

Rod

• Style in the Modern World
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 14, 2019, 01:32:22 AM »
...As for blogs, besides my own which was my attempt to fill a void, Iím only aware of the lad in Canada who posts very rarely and again has a heavy leaning towards music and his DJ adventures which donít interest me....
Rod, the blogger from Canada isn't from Quebec by any chance, is he?  A fellow named Dominic?

Nah Patrick - ĎParka Avenueí Used to be a decent read but itís more recently descended into boring stuff about his music taste and DJing. Very sporadic entries now too.

There was another lad I think in the Bay Area who had a blog named Mod Male but itís been dormant for ages. Weíre not missing much, he had that juvenile style which reminds me thereís Move On Up which is a smoggy lad who writes in a similar way. He manages to score some clothes freebies and just gushes over everything.

Simon Bond

• Is it me for a moment . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 14, 2019, 09:50:44 AM »
Whoever these other guys are on other Mods sites , the important thing here is that this first class Mod Forum has had a new lease of life since Dave threatened its demise , we have even seen the return of a couple of erstwhile posters , whats not to like about that . .

MC Forum , going from strength to strength. . 8)
I wont make any deals with you , I've resigned. .
I wont be pushed, filed , stamped , indexed , briefed , debriefed OR NUMBERED!

Modculture

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Modculture
« Reply #66 on: February 14, 2019, 09:54:33 AM »

Nah Patrick - ĎParka Avenueí Used to be a decent read but itís more recently descended into boring stuff about his music taste and DJing. Very sporadic entries now too.

There was another lad I think in the Bay Area who had a blog named Mod Male but itís been dormant for ages. Weíre not missing much, he had that juvenile style which reminds me thereís Move On Up which is a smoggy lad who writes in a similar way. He manages to score some clothes freebies and just gushes over everything.

I must be doing it wrong as I can count on my fingers the number of times Iíve been offered or given free clothing in the history of both Modculture and His Knibs. Thatís no bad thing by the way. If you do get freebies, you would have to disclose fully you had been given free samples or you would be in legal hot water. I also canít see how you can write a balanced account of something if you have effectively been Ďpaidí to be positive. Just doesnít work.
Owner/dogsbody - Modculture

Modculture

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Modculture
« Reply #67 on: February 14, 2019, 09:56:52 AM »
In other news, domain and hosting renewed, Jump The Gun sponsorship in place.

I do spend a lot of time thinking about enhancing and updating the forum, but in truth, Iím not technically strong enough to do anything radical with it and paying someone would be costly. Be great to make it more phone-friendly.
Owner/dogsbody - Modculture

Martin G

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 14, 2019, 11:02:39 AM »
Whoever these other guys are on other Mods sites , the important thing here is that this first class Mod Forum has had a new lease of life since Dave threatened its demise , we have even seen the return of a couple of erstwhile posters , whats not to like about that . .

MC Forum , going from strength to strength. . 8)

Totally nailed it mate. I agree. I don't worry what happens on other sites or forums as long as I am happy here. fair play to all concerned in getting this place back on track. Great stuff.

Woody 64

• Old fogey
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 14, 2019, 01:44:59 PM »

I must be doing it wrong as I can count on my fingers the number of times Iíve been offered or given free clothing in the history of both Modculture and His Knibs. Thatís no bad thing by the way. If you do get freebies, you would have to disclose fully you had been given free samples or you would be in legal hot water. I also canít see how you can write a balanced account of something if you have effectively been Ďpaidí to be positive. Just doesnít work.

And when you did you gave it away in a competition(The £500 of Smedley vouchers which I was extremely happy to receive) ;D ;D