Author Topic: Black Fred Perry polos wi' yellow piping.  (Read 1162 times)

The Laird of Enfield

• Just joined
    • View Profile
Black Fred Perry polos wi' yellow piping.
« on: March 09, 2019, 02:18:30 PM »
Readin' an article oan whit passes fur politics n' the USA these days.

Seems like these shirts huv been adopted as some kinda uniform by the "Proud Boys".  Fred Perry themsel's no happy aboot the association.

Had yin back in the days when ah wis a skinny teenager, but that colour option wid seem tae be oot the question noo.     :-[

Hopefully these pr1cks dinnae expand thir fashion palette.

The only time ah went tae the states ah wis quizzed aboot a Celtic t shirt ah wis wearin' which had a badge wi' a Celtic cross markin' the club's 125th anniversary.  Seemingly the Celtic cross kin huv right wing associations there n'aw.  (Aw a bit sad n' ironic considerin' Celtic FC wur founded by immigrants).  Everyhing wis fine once ah'd explained the badge but jist goes tae show how assumptions kin be easily made.

Any ay oor stateside posters had tae burn thir black polo shirts tae avoid bein' branded "alt right"?  Whit colour alternatives ur yese wearin'  tae identify yirsel' as a open minded modernist?

Fashion over Fascism  8)

Rod

• Style in the Modern World
    • View Profile
Re: Black Fred Perry polos wi' yellow piping.
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2019, 04:38:34 PM »
Never liked the black and yellow colours. Hadnít heard this was adopted by meatheads but those are not exactly the circles I run in and I doubt theyíd welcome me either!

I have a black FP with royal blue piping, and one with sky and red piping. Wonít be burning them!

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2019, 04:57:50 PM »
Not sure if it's the same right now, but those black FP polos with yellow pippin could get you into trouble here some years ago, as they were seen as skinhead/extreme right clobber.

Essexmark

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2019, 06:27:00 PM »
Blimey I didnt know about the potential political connection with that colourway. I don't have any that colour, mainly blue or  burgundy variants but it will make me think if I did want one.

Crawdaddy

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2019, 06:38:21 PM »
I read all that stuff about the black/yellow FP polo and the US extreme right some months ago, and since then I havenít been able to wear mine. It was the first FP polo I bought, many moons ago, so I have a soft spot for it. Anyway, these days I prefer button-down shirts, my FP obsession is thing of the past.

Lord Mulberry

• Absolute Beginner
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2019, 07:24:32 PM »
Had a brown FP polo as a kid I liked a lot. Currently have a retro white one with the 2 blue piping
Do it well

The Laird of Enfield

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2019, 07:26:29 PM »
Blimey I didnt know about the potential political connection with that colourway. I don't have any that colour, mainly blue or  burgundy variants but it will make me think if I did want one.

Me neither which wis why ah posted.

Could get yirsel' intae potential bother if ye owned yin n' went oan holiday tae the States wi' it packed in yir case.

Ah bought yin back in the day cos ah'd seen Foxton wearin' yin n' it wis a better choice than copyin' his crap haircut.    ;D

« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 07:28:18 PM by The Laird of Enfield »

The Laird of Enfield

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2019, 07:36:52 PM »

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2019, 07:49:44 PM »
I read all that stuff about the black/yellow FP polo and the US extreme right some months ago, and since then I havenít been able to wear mine. It was the first FP polo I bought, many moons ago, so I have a soft spot for it. Anyway, these days I prefer button-down shirts, my FP obsession is thing of the past.

The closer I've been to that colour scheme was a black w. white piping FP polo I had 20+ years ago, loved it and wore it often till it fell to pieces. Currently I just own some of their "reissues" knitted polos.

pie and mash

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2019, 10:09:09 AM »
I couldn`t care less what a load of American boneheads are wearing ,it wouldnt stop me wearing or buying a black/yellow FP  if i wanted one.  Ive had comments in the past about my skinhead look, ( ive been mixing mod/skinhead/casual looks for years ) ,but it shows more about their ignorance than mine.