Author Topic: Freds Threads  (Read 4258 times)

detroitmike

• Just joined
    • View Profile
Re: Freds Threads
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2020, 07:42:32 PM »
Looks like Fred Perry have decided their Reissues pieces are too precious for the common folk, and so lately they've raised the price to the point of unattainability -a monkey jacket for almost 400 €, a knitted short sleeves polo 210 € and so on- , prices on the LVC level, hard to cope with even in the sales.

BUT that said, it also looks like -maybe to compensate- they've opened their main, "cheap" (I'd say "not so overpriced", actually) range to less plain and more distinctive patterns and designs. Nothing to send your pulse racing either, but quite refreshing after many seasons of classic but dull stuff:

You mean, they are 'ripping it' ...................probably made in the Genocidal Peoples Republic too. .

That's for sure, if you mean China, hermano. They're going to own everything in just a few years!  :-\

Don't blame the Chinese, blame the labels. They're the ones off shoring their products for maximum profit. Also we, the consumer own some of this too.
Have it "Made in the UK", or the US. Then we'll complain about the price.
Funny story. Levis jeans were made in the US, Walmart wanted to sell the brand BUT, would only do that if they were cheaper. So,Levis closes their US plants, off shores to Mexico and Asia.
People now won't pay more than $39 for a pair (and BTW, they're bottom level quality).

"War is not the answer, because only love can conquer hate..."

Simon Bond

• Is it me for a moment . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2020, 08:12:49 PM »
In the past l didn't really bother about where something was made but recent events and research has changed that and l will now avoid anything made in the CCP. I do not mind paying more for made in UK , as l have done recently. 
My last pair of Levi's were made in Turkey and quality was decent but even that regime has gone a bit dodgy now . .
I wont make any deals with you , I've resigned. .
I wont be pushed, filed , stamped , indexed , briefed , debriefed OR NUMBERED!

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2020, 12:21:37 PM »
Fair point, Mike, and I plead guilty as anyone. Truth is, like Simon and you, I'm much more conscious nowadays and most of the stuff I buy is EU made, but I still go for made in China , Uniqlo or H&M or whatever, basics.

I don't mind paying a bit more either, but you'll have to admit, guys, that the "made in..." tag has become an excuse for certain brands to charge ridiculous prices.

Adam

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2020, 12:54:01 PM »
My favourite it the "Designed in" tag.  ;D

Rod

• Style in the Modern World
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2020, 12:57:31 PM »
Are you lot typing these messages out on iPhones, iPads, laptops, etc?
Guess where they were made?
We can all choose to be as precious as we like about the provenance of what we buy but for a number of complex reasons whether we like it or not China has become the factory of the world. For now. Until all those Chinese factory workers have aspirations of a middle class lifestyle (happening already?) and companies look for an ever more downtrodden place to set up shop and pay the workers a pittance so they can cream off a bigger profit margin. It was ever thus.

Anyway back on topic - I really like that button through polo top. $150 in American. Not sure I like it that much for the few wearings per year I’d get out of it. Fred Perry seems to have elevated it’s pricing far above its value to me. Same with that cycling shirt they recently brought out, over $200. I can’t remember when they have their sales but I’ll probably wait and take a chance on seeing something then rather than lash out full price on these things.

Rod

• Style in the Modern World
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2020, 12:59:43 PM »

I have a few pairs of Meermin shoes. That’s “Meermin MALLORCA”. It’s even in their name. They’ve got a representative popping up on Styleforum doing PR for them and he was asked straight out where their stuff was made and if it qualified for made in Spain. Fella ‘fessed up they are made in Shanghai!!

detroitmike

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2020, 01:07:27 PM »
Fair point, Mike, and I plead guilty as anyone. Truth is, like Simon and you, I'm much more conscious nowadays and most of the stuff I buy is EU made, but I still go for made in China , Uniqlo or H&M or whatever, basics.

I don't mind paying a bit more either, but you'll have to admit, guys, that the "made in..." tag has become an excuse for certain brands to charge ridiculous prices.

Only speaking for myself, but I try to avoid buying goods made in sweatshops, or paying high end prices for items you just know are being made for pennies, and then the Label is pocketing a huge profit.
Don't get me wrong GS, I shop Uniqlo, maybe more than I should. The quality is there. China can turn out quality products.
And sometimes (as Rod points out) you can't avoid it.
But it's not  "political" for me.
Case in point: a few years ago, an un-named American clothing brand sold trousers for $139.00 Made in Canada, switched manufacturing to Asia, STILL charged $139.00... Guaranteed they're now paying a fraction for having those pants made, so the excess profit goes to the Execs, not the workers. 
I don't mind paying more for an item, if I know the person making it is paid a fair wage, with benefits in a non exploiting workplace.

detroitmike

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2020, 01:08:41 PM »

I have a few pairs of Meermin shoes. That’s “Meermin MALLORCA”. It’s even in their name. They’ve got a representative popping up on Styleforum doing PR for them and he was asked straight out where their stuff was made and if it qualified for made in Spain. Fella ‘fessed up they are made in Shanghai!!

I've actually caught Retailers cutting off the "Made in China" tags.

BrianB

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2020, 01:39:51 PM »

Only speaking for myself, but I try to avoid buying goods made in sweatshops, or paying high end prices for items you just know are being made for pennies, and then the Label is pocketing a huge profit.
Don't get me wrong GS, I shop Uniqlo, maybe more than I should. The quality is there. China can turn out quality products.
And sometimes (as Rod points out) you can't avoid it.
But it's not  "political" for me.
Case in point: a few years ago, an un-named American clothing brand sold trousers for $139.00 Made in Canada, switched manufacturing to Asia, STILL charged $139.00... Guaranteed they're now paying a fraction for having those pants made, so the excess profit goes to the Execs, not the workers. 
I don't mind paying more for an item, if I know the person making it is paid a fair wage, with benefits in a non exploiting workplace.

+1 to that Mike, well said.
Initials B.B.

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2020, 04:30:42 PM »

Cheeky buggers!  ;D