Author Topic: 2 cities mods  (Read 476 times)

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
2 cities mods
« on: April 09, 2019, 03:43:27 PM »
This upcoming one is associated with an exhibition apparently:

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
Re: 2 cities mods
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2019, 03:32:04 PM »

I've just ordered this. Apart from (a poor) substitute for those of us unable to attend the exhibition, it looks like an interesting appendix to Smiler's bible.

Fentonwho

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2019, 03:47:51 PM »
Deviating just slightly from the thread, the band I Tour Manage (The Goldhawks) are playing a tie-in show with this exhibition at De Montfort hall on June 15. We're also at Brighton (Concorde 2) on August 24.
He only comes out when i drink my gin ...

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2019, 09:40:05 AM »

I've just ordered this. Apart from (a poor) substitute for those of us unable to attend the exhibition, it looks like an interesting appendix to Smiler's bible.

An update on this: I'm midway through the book and it's fair to say that this humbly published tome, with its small print and b&w photographs is ESSENTIAL reading for those interested in the original 60s scene, a second "New Religion" devoted to those in the periphery of Swinging London. Following the tried and tested pattern of Smiler's book, Shaun Knapp wisely lets the 60s male and female mods of Nottingham and Leicester do the talking, with some quotes of other experts here and there to provide context. Not miles away from Smiler's book regarding structure, it eschews somewhat the chronologic approach to favour instead a thematic organization (ie. scooters, fashion, clubs, greasers...) and the result is a fascinating oral account of an era by people who were there. Well beyond your usual exhibition book.

Martin G

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2019, 10:35:10 AM »
Sounds good mate. Max and I are taking a trip up to see the exhibition in a couple of weeks and will certainly nab a copy there. Looking forward to it.

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2019, 03:28:54 PM »
Sounds good mate. Max and I are taking a trip up to see the exhibition in a couple of weeks and will certainly nab a copy there. Looking forward to it.

The exhibition, from what I've seen here and there, is certainly worth the visit, Mart, but don't forget to get the book, you're going to love it.