Author Topic: Trip to NYC this Wednesday, any places I should check out?  (Read 142 times)

detroitmike

• Just joined
    • View Profile
Heading to New York again fro a long weekend, anyone have any suggestions of places to hit?
mod in Detroit

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
Re: Trip to NYC this Wednesday, any places I should check out?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2019, 07:19:54 AM »
I guess that being a detroitian you've already been to the Big Apple, Mike. Anyway, I loved everything there, it was really love at first sight. Shops-wise, there's a Levi's shop close to the Chelsea Market (in itself a great place to visit and sample some delis) that especializes in LVC product, also the Fred Perry Outlet in Brooklyn (Brooklyn is home to some interesting small "indie" clobber shops). Downtown, Kamakura for shirts, JPress and Brooks Bros (tho' the latter might be mixing pleasure with work in your case  ;)), the beautiful JJ Hats, Allen Edmonds, Todd Snyder in front of the Flatiron... Lots of vintage shops too, but I found them outrageously expensive.

One of the districts that appealed most to me was Greenwich Village, with its old low houses, students' vibe and little parks, more of a quiet village really inside the big city. Uptown, Central Park of course, and the Apollo is worth a visit. I can't comment on nightlife and clubs, as I was there with my brother, whose tastes in music are quite different to mine. Anyway we ended up so exhausted every evening that we couldn't literally move from the hotel room.

I'm sure you won't bore, mate, have a great time!

detroitmike

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2019, 10:48:51 AM »
Yes, GS I've been there maybe 7 times over the years. Staying in the Village this time, too.
I need to jot your list down, because when I get there, I get too overwhelmed, and don't know which way to turn ;D!
 We did go to Harlem time before last, saw the Apollo but couldn't get inside...saw a set at the Village Vanguard though.
mod in Detroit

Martin G

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2019, 12:12:50 PM »
Despite not being the greatest of travellers I have been to NYC three times. Without doubt if I were given the chance to go there again tomorrow I would. I can hardly suggest stuff though as we did tourist stuff and spent time with pals who now live there but that was good enough for me. Just walking the streets seeing those iconic buildings was amazing. You just enjoy it fella.

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2019, 03:32:27 PM »
Despite not being the greatest of travellers I have been to NYC three times. Without doubt if I were given the chance to go there again tomorrow I would. I can hardly suggest stuff though as we did tourist stuff and spent time with pals who now live there but that was good enough for me. Just walking the streets seeing those iconic buildings was amazing. You just enjoy it fella.

Agree, it's a city to walk around and soak up the sights and sounds, the pulse of the streets.

Rod

• Style in the Modern World
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2019, 02:08:42 AM »
Love it!
I usually stay in the Hilton right behind Victoria’s Secret on 6th Ave and 35th Street. A quick step onto 34tth to walk through Macy’s then back eastwards checking out the Levi’s shop, Uniqlo for socks, Banana Republic etc then turn left on Madison. The next few blocks going uptown are a bit boring but then you have Charles Tyrwhitt, Paul Smith, Clark’s, Brooks, Allen Edmonds, Alden, Eton, Hickey Freeman, Oxford, Kamakura, for watches there’s a Tournea, Breitling and Bremont shops among others, plus a few small shops all the way to 59th where there’s a Suitmart.

Then I cross over and walk down 5th back to the hotel, or hop the subway downtown and wander round lower Broadway, Spring Street, Houston, etc where there’s another Uniqlo and a Suitmart, Fred Perry, Warby Parker, Meermin, loads of small shops and boutiques and an adidas outlet (not that good!) Epaulet used to be there going east towards the Bowery - they closed but there are a few other small indie boutiques around there.

That’s my shopping route. Hope to be back with work in July. Absolutely love it! Over 30 years since I first went and it never gets old for me!