Author Topic: American in London (1956)  (Read 242 times)

BrianB

• Just joined
    • View Profile
American in London (1956)
« on: May 19, 2019, 08:02:08 PM »
Was given some letters my dad wrote home when he lived in England in the 50's and there were some interesting ones that are very specific on clothes, guess my dad was having trouble finding what he wanted at the time (1956), in writing he mentions "All the shirts here are the old-fashioned type with removable collars", ...and goes on to discuss getting his new topcoat from the tailors. He writes quite a bit to my aunt requesting shirts " 15"x35" and with button down tab collars and french cuffs if possible. I would like to have them in a slight stripe or light pastel or just plain white."  another letter says "On those shirts, they must repeat must have 35" sleeve lengths, 15" neck, french cuffs, button down collars or pin collars (preferrably pin collars) and they can be pastel, white or pinstripe and made of broadcloth or just plain cotton."  He doesn't mention the tailors name, but he mentions getting his "three button suit out from the tailors" and having labels insdie that say tailored especially for ......like father like son I guess :)
Initials B.B.

Martin G

• Just joined
    • View Profile
Re: American in London (1956)
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2019, 08:03:24 PM »
That is a fantastic snap shot of what clobber was important to him back then. Love it mate and thanks for sharing.

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2019, 10:33:07 AM »
Great bit of trivia, Brian, thanks for sharing, your dad must have been a sharp dresser (attention to detail you've inherited, no doubt). Shirts' size pretty close to mine too (14,4"-15" collars)

Woody 64

• Old fogey
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2019, 11:45:54 AM »
Nice one Brian.

Essexmark

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2019, 12:43:11 PM »
Like that Brian, thanks for sharing with us