Author Topic: Cleaning Chrome  (Read 598 times)

DrGonzo2411

• Dressing fine and making time.....
    • View Profile
Cleaning Chrome
« on: July 09, 2019, 09:38:07 AM »
Thought I'd add a little piece to this section which has been dormant for a while. I have a number of chrome items on my PX (front mudguard 'bumper', spotlight rack and seat grab rail). Through time and exposure to the elements, rain is never far away in NI, they have all become a little rusty and a bit tired looking. I had seen mention before of the idea of using cola to clean/remove rust, but was a little sceptical and never tried it until a mate mentioned what a great job it had done on his. Took the bull by the horns this weekend and had a bash. One bowl of Pepsi (other brands are available), a roll of tinfoil and some elbow grease and all the surface rust disappeared. It doesn't 'cure' any pitted areas, of which I had a few, but the surface rust came away really easily. A dab of Autosol and a polish and my tired chrome looks almost new! If you haven't, give it a try, you'll be pleasantly surprised.
36/33 waist/leg, 46 chest, 10 shoe/boot

Chilli

• Just joined
    • View Profile
Re: Cleaning Chrome
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2019, 12:17:24 PM »
There's very little chrome on mine currently Doc, but looking to get a 4-in-1 Cuppini backrest/luggage carrier, so was interested to read your post.  However, I'm more than a little intrigued about the use of tinfoil.  Care to elaborate on what this was used for?

Cheers,

DrGonzo2411

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2019, 07:02:40 PM »
Chilli, you dip a loosely rolled up ball of tinfoil into the cola and rub it on the affected areas. There's some sort of weird science involved that I don't quite understand, mate, but it works. Something to keep up your sleeve if you get that 4-in-1

Simon Bond

• Is it me for a moment . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2019, 09:25:26 PM »
Chilli, you dip a loosely rolled up ball of tinfoil into the cola and rub it on the affected areas. There's some sort of weird science involved that I don't quite understand, mate, but it works. Something to keep up your sleeve if you get that 4-in-1

As far as I know , the cola has phosphoric acid which will neutralise the the rust , not sure about the role of the er, roll of aluminium foil.
I wont make any deals with you , I've resigned. .
I wont be pushed, filed , stamped , indexed , briefed , debriefed OR NUMBERED!

Chilli

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2019, 08:50:09 AM »
Thanks for the replies guys; I'll bear it in mind in the future (with or without the aluminium foil!!)

DrGonzo2411

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2019, 10:52:09 AM »

As far as I know , the cola has phosphoric acid which will neutralise the the rust , not sure about the role of the er, roll of aluminium foil.

Thanks for that, Professor Bond!!  ;)

I've looked a little further into the tin foil thing and it seems that, whilst abrasive as a cleaner, its properties mean it doesn't mark metal or chrome. Makes some sense to my Luddite mind!

Simon Bond

• Is it me for a moment . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2019, 12:12:35 PM »
What you should consider after cleaning the chrome to your satisfaction is protecting it with a wax . Lacquer will give you longer protection but it is a bit of a bugger when it starts to come off. .

A good quality wax that won't burst the bank is Bilt Hambler.  .
I wont make any deals with you , I've resigned. .
I wont be pushed, filed , stamped , indexed , briefed , debriefed OR NUMBERED!

DrGonzo2411

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2019, 02:20:50 PM »
What you should consider after cleaning the chrome to your satisfaction is protecting it with a wax . Lacquer will give you longer protection but it is a bit of a bugger when it starts to come off. .

A good quality wax that won't burst the bank is Bilt Hambler.  .

Thanks for the tip, Mr B. I've been using Autosol, which does give the chrome a nice finish but I don't think it has any protective qualities.

BrianB

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2019, 04:27:37 PM »
I have always used fine steel wool, like 0000. Works likes a charm
Initials B.B.

Chilli

• Just joined
    • View Profile