Author Topic: Swim trunks  (Read 576 times)

BrianB

• Just joined
    • View Profile
Swim trunks
« on: July 13, 2019, 11:51:54 PM »
Looking for some suggestions on swimwear. Like the look of some of Orlebar Browns stuff, just not sure on the price tag...anything out there similar or with somewhat mod aesthetics?
Initials B.B.

Rod

• Style in the Modern World
    • View Profile
Re: Swim trunks
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2019, 02:47:00 AM »
Looking for some suggestions on swimwear. Like the look of some of Orlebar Browns stuff, just not sure on the price tag...anything out there similar or with somewhat mod aesthetics?

I got a couple of OB Setters (shorter legs as worn by Bond in Skyfall) NWOT at much reduced prices on eBay. You May have similar luck with Sunspel.

But a couple of years ago someone on here flagged up J Crew and I got a pair for $25 that are very similar to the early Connery Bond style. They have a sale on now so you might see something decent there.

The Laird of Enfield

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2019, 02:45:10 PM »

Go fur a vintage look n' get yir maw tae knit ye a pair.    ;D

BrianB

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2019, 03:18:08 PM »
I have to admit while writing this, I was going to write a Laird disclaimer as I knew he couldn't resist.  :)
Initials B.B.

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2019, 07:10:01 PM »
I have to admit while writing this, I was going to write a Laird disclaimer as I knew he couldn't resist.  :)

;D ;D 

Orlebar Brown's look the part, but I wouldn't purchase them at full price (ditto Sunspel). The best quality/price relationship trunks I have are from the David Gandy collection by M&S, they're almost equal to the OBs I own and costed ten times less. Sadly, they're discontinued, so no chance.

If budget's not a problem, I'd go for a US heritage surf brand, like Birdwell or MNii; if it is, I'd take a look in Yoox.

BTW this italian brand make some very nice surf swimshorts inspired in John Millius' "The big wednesday" (in fact the brand has rescued the logo and general looks of the fictitious surfboards' manufacturer that appeared in the movie) and I know they're much cheaper than the USA brands I've mentioned, but they're not easy to come by (can't remember where I got mine from, the ones below): https://www.bearsurfboards.eu/ss-19/

Rod

• Style in the Modern World
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2019, 10:11:23 PM »
Big Wednesday is one of my favourite B Movies (along with Dog Soldiers).
Saw it in college and it had a big effect on me.

Fantastic scenes and what a shame JMV turned into a miserable piss pot and recently died with an amputated leg. He was great in that film.

Matt Johnson:
You know, Mrs. Barlow, there's something I'd like straighten out.

Mrs. Barlow:
What's that, Matt?

Matt Johnson:
Well, I did a lot of things around here I'm kind of ashamed of. I tore up your lawn with my '40 Ford...

Mrs. Barlow:
Many times.

Matt Johnson:
Took my pants off in front of your friends...

Mrs. Barlow:
Oh, yes.

Matt Johnson:
And I even passed out in your closet, but I never, and I don't know who could have if I didn't, but I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.

BrianB

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2019, 10:31:22 PM »
Thanks for the tips, took Rods advice and checked out the local J Crew and managed to find a pair!
Initials B.B.

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2019, 07:17:23 AM »
Thanks for the tips, took Rods advice and checked out the local J Crew and managed to find a pair!

Well done, B, my main concern with JCrew is the sizing, but no problem if you can try the clobber on.

BrianB

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2019, 07:54:41 PM »
If anyone is interested, I did run across another outfit that seems to sell only swim shorts and shirt in what they claim to be 60s italian and riviera style.....some of it I liked, some of it not so much, but I'll post a link when I get home....

**update, here's the link....not sure if they have been discussed here before or not**

https://riparipa.com/

« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 10:20:24 PM by BrianB »
Initials B.B.

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2019, 10:26:41 AM »
If anyone is interested, I did run across another outfit that seems to sell only swim shorts and shirt in what they claim to be 60s italian and riviera style.....some of it I liked, some of it not so much, but I'll post a link when I get home....

**update, here's the link....not sure if they have been discussed here before or not**

https://riparipa.com/

Nice patterns there, Brian, some of them remind me of Okun Beachwear, a brand that make (or made, dunno if they closed shop) some nice-looking trunks (maybe too daring for me) with african motifs (very 70s Black Power, man!). What I don't like is the waistband drawstring, only buttons these days for me.

Their "camicias"/popovers look even better, a stylish continental vibe going on  8)