Author Topic: Mod Ghosts  (Read 850 times)

Getdeeper

• View Profile
    • Mod Ghosts
Mod Ghosts
« on: October 04, 2019, 06:00:19 PM »
Long time lurker finally breaking cover  ;)

I hope the moderators won't mind me saying a few words about Mod Ghosts, my new book to be published later this month. Over the last two years I've manged to give life to what I think is a new concept in the pantheon of books about our beloved subculture.  I'm very proud of the end result which is part personal memoir and part photographic tribute to Mod culture. The focus is on the ephemera of our forty (or sixty) year journey. The inconsequential places and the faces that made this such a durable and uniquely respected phenomenon.  The book was written with a mix of tongue firmly in cheek, deep melancholy for the passing of the decades and tremendous pride in what we achieved. I hope Mod Ghosts will appeal to a broad base of interest in Mod, urban history, popular culture and the little things that combined to make all three

More on the book and pre-order can be found at www.modghosts.co.uk
MOD GHOSTS
Revisiting the places and the faces
Full colour book coming October 2019

Simon Bond

• Is it me for a moment . .
    • View Profile
Re: Mod Ghosts
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2019, 12:22:52 PM »
Sounds interesting and I shall look out for it when it is released
I wont make any deals with you , I've resigned. .
I wont be pushed, filed , stamped , indexed , briefed , debriefed OR NUMBERED!

Getdeeper

• View Profile
    • Mod Ghosts
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2019, 02:40:22 PM »
Thanks Simon. Yes, my aim with the book was to offer a slightly different perspective on the phenomenon. Contributing to the Modernist echo chamber with just another chronological account would serve no real purpose. Better authors than me have already done that, and done it well. My approach was iconoclastic to some extent. I wanted Mod Ghosts to examine the surrounding historical context, the present day meaning and what the future might hold. I hope Iíve pulled that off with a book that may prove controversial in some quarters. Weíll see.
MOD GHOSTS

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2019, 07:28:53 PM »
Welcome, pal! I subscribe Simon's words: it sounds interesting and I'll take a look too.

The Laird of Enfield

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2019, 05:47:21 PM »
Thanks Simon. Yes, my aim with the book was to offer a slightly different perspective on the phenomenon. Contributing to the Modernist echo chamber with just another chronological account would serve no real purpose. Better authors than me have already done that, and done it well. My approach was iconoclastic to some extent. I wanted Mod Ghosts to examine the surrounding historical context, the present day meaning and what the future might hold. I hope Iíve pulled that off with a book that may prove controversial in some quarters. Weíll see.

And you'd have gotten away with it, if it hadn't been for those pesky kids.....

Getdeeper

• View Profile
    • Mod Ghosts
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2019, 06:17:46 PM »

And you'd have gotten away with it, if it hadn't been for those pesky kids.....

[/quote]

Indeed. I ill-advisedly used the very same reference in conversation with my Brazilian wife and nine year-old twins the other day. Blank faces all round and another nail in the coffin of daddyís credibility.
MOD GHOSTS

Getdeeper

• View Profile
    • Mod Ghosts
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2019, 06:22:29 PM »
Welcome, pal! I subscribe Simon's words: it sounds interesting and I'll take a look too.

Thank you. Once I can work out how to attach an image, I will post a sample page of narrative from the book so you can get a better idea of what itís all about 😉
MOD GHOSTS

Simon Bond

• Is it me for a moment . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2019, 06:28:29 PM »

Thank you. Once I can work out how to attach an image, I will post a sample page of narrative from the book so you can get a better idea of what itís all about 😉
Well er , Sydney might be the man to give you er some help with posting  that
I wont make any deals with you , I've resigned. .
I wont be pushed, filed , stamped , indexed , briefed , debriefed OR NUMBERED!

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2019, 10:25:27 AM »

Well er , Sydney might be the man to give you er some help with posting  that

Oh no, not the Imgur explanation again!  ;D

Trotsky

• Ah yeah
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2019, 02:24:44 PM »
"The cruel irony is that this time around, many ex-revival Mod parents are secretly hoping their off-spring will embrace at least something of the essential non-compliance that underpins the youth subculture. Would I be disappointed if my children did some of the things I did as a Mod in my youth? Probably. Would I be equally disappointed if they didnít? Also probably.
Iíd just like to be able to choose which ones."

Very true.
Life is too short to listen to s**t music