Author Topic: Really great piece on Soul Bow's John Anderson  (Read 276 times)

Robin_Wick

• Just joined
    • View Profile
Really great piece on Soul Bow's John Anderson
« on: November 19, 2019, 06:42:27 PM »
https://www.thenational.scot/news/18011168.pitch-perfect-funeral-scot-whose-soul-sang-music-black-america/

Glasgow Mod, record dealer, and a huge influence of the development of the rare soul underground in this country

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
Re: Really great piece on Soul Bow's John Anderson
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2019, 07:41:00 PM »
RIP. I'm sure he'll bring memories to our Scottish gang, eh Woody, Simon, the Laird?

Col Wolfe

• East Anglia
    • View Profile
    • >>> Spoke Records <<<
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2019, 11:49:34 PM »
When I was first getting into record collecting in the mid-80s, I would ride my Vespa 100 Sport a 150 mile round trip twice a month.  Id give him 30 each time (a 3rd of my weekly wage) and hed sort me out with a batch of records hand picked himself.  Most of them were brilliant but he did pad them out sometimes with obvious popular Motown and Chess subsidiaries  :)

The Laird of Enfield

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2019, 12:21:03 AM »
Didnae really know much aboot John Anderson but that's a supremely well written piece by Stuart Cosgrove.

A great writer oan black music n' no a bad fitba pundit either.

DrGonzo2411

• Dressing fine and making time.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2019, 09:52:19 AM »
What a fantastic piece on a man most folk will never have heard of. As the Laird says, Cosgrove is some writer
36/33 waist/leg, 46 chest, 10 shoe/boot

Simon Bond

• Is it me for a moment . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2019, 11:17:55 PM »
What a fantastic piece on a man most folk will never have heard of. As the Laird says, Cosgrove is some writer

I think Cosgrove is probably better known as a football pundit and quite rightly so as his knowledge of the Scottish game in particular is extensive . However , l think his knowledge Soul music goes way beyond extensive. .
I wont make any deals with you , I've resigned. .
I wont be pushed, filed , stamped , indexed , briefed , debriefed OR NUMBERED!

DrGonzo2411

• Dressing fine and making time.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2019, 09:51:32 AM »

I think Cosgrove is probably better known as a football pundit and quite rightly so as his knowledge of the Scottish game in particular is extensive . However , l think his knowledge Soul music goes way beyond extensive. .

To be honest, I was unaware of him as a pundit until I started reading his Soul Trilogy and read the little bio that accompanied the first book. I'm about half way through Detroit 68, and his attention to detail (we do love details!) is second to none. Recommended reading if you've not done so
36/33 waist/leg, 46 chest, 10 shoe/boot

Woody 64

• Old fogey
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2019, 01:55:26 PM »
Just got to this,sorry.

Yes, John Anderson was the man for sure.

A lovely piece by Stuart Cosgrove,who as others have noted has produced 4 books of the highest order. Spent a few nights with him over the last year or so.He's played records at a couple of nights I've attended. He's quite a shy guy off the mic but warms up when you get talking. We got locked in after do had finished and a few of us discussed Music,football and parenthood into the night.A real decent man with a wealth of knowledge and tales to tell.

I've included a link to an interview with him recently on Radio Scotland. Enjoy!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000b5y4

The Laird of Enfield

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2019, 06:23:41 PM »