Author Topic: Mod Ghosts finally hits the streets  (Read 1031 times)

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
Re: Mod Ghosts finally hits the streets
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2020, 12:06:32 PM »
Not to be missed if you've liked/are interested in Andy's oeuvre and, of course, the author:

https://www.suityourselfmodernists.com/andy-morling-mod-ghosts?fbclid=IwAR35_xWE9c93I8ODR9IzVUKEuo6L5U1kCOU0dZ1FoxRbke2rVMUR2EKib8Y

Simon Bond

• Is it me for a moment . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2020, 09:07:12 PM »
Not to be missed if you've liked/are interested in Andy's oeuvre and, of course, the author:

https://www.suityourselfmodernists.com/andy-morling-mod-ghosts?fbclid=IwAR35_xWE9c93I8ODR9IzVUKEuo6L5U1kCOU0dZ1FoxRbke2rVMUR2EKib8Y

I read that and thought it was decent . However , having been there (I got seriously into Mod culture in 1979 ,too) and 'lived the dream' , saw the good and the bad along with the bitter and the sweet , found it exciting and at times exhilerating , in particular when hammering along the road in my scooter with some good mates , l would rather not relive it all through someones else's eyes .
I have had my fill of Mod books now and am more interested in the original deal that happened when l was very young than the one l actually took part in. I have my own memories and my own photos from that period .
Nowaday's , the Mod scene is much better and more civilised than  when we were in our teens and early 20s , in my opinion. .

The book does look very well put together with plenty of good fotos and l am glad that you enjoyed it and l'm sure Andy tells a good story and the philosophical bit may give it a bit more depth but there are other subjects I'd rather read about. .
I wont make any deals with you , I've resigned. .
I wont be pushed, filed , stamped , indexed , briefed , debriefed OR NUMBERED!

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2020, 09:19:46 AM »

I read that and thought it was decent . However , having been there (I got seriously into Mod culture in 1979 ,too) and 'lived the dream' , saw the good and the bad along with the bitter and the sweet , found it exciting and at times exhilerating , in particular when hammering along the road in my scooter with some good mates , l would rather not relive it all through someones else's eyes .
I have had my fill of Mod books now and am more interested in the original deal that happened when l was very young than the one l actually took part in. I have my own memories and my own photos from that period .
Nowaday's , the Mod scene is much better and more civilised than  when we were in our teens and early 20s , in my opinion. .

The book does look very well put together with plenty of good fotos and l am glad that you enjoyed it and l'm sure Andy tells a good story and the philosophical bit may give it a bit more depth but there are other subjects I'd rather read about. .

Fair points, my friend, and well put; no arguing about that.

Getdeeper

• View Profile
    • Mod Ghosts
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2020, 06:43:59 PM »

I have had my fill of Mod books now and am more interested in the original deal that happened when l was very young than the one l actually took part in. I have my own memories and my own photos from that period.

No argument here.

My own view is that the sixties and eighties scenes were sufficiently different from one other to be considered separate phenomena.  They don't have to be played off against each other as they are so often. The two iterations were materially different, as was the surrounding temporal context. Each was a product of its time and each is worthy of commentary in its own right.

That said, I'm also a bit jaded by the sheer number of Mod books on the market and the rather formulaic approach adopted. I stopped reading them a while back. Too many, too samey and often way too nostalgic.  The prospect of publishing yet another Mod book left me cold.

In spirited defence of Mod Ghosts, my hope was that the book would be different enough conceptually and in the tone, emphasis and presentation of its content to set it apart. Scarcity alone sometimes bestows legendary status upon pieces of art and the days we spent pouring over Barnes' book are gone forever. In 2020 we're all potential authors, filmmakers and musicians. Some might say that's a shame, but I, for one, find that tremendously exciting. I get that not everyone will see it that way or relate to Mod Ghosts. That's as it should be and I find that exciting too.
MOD GHOSTS
Revisiting the places and the faces
Full colour hardback book available now

dazlcfc

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2020, 12:09:12 PM »

I have had my fill of Mod books now and am more interested in the original deal that happened when l was very young than the one l actually took part in. I have my own memories and my own photos from that period.

No argument here.

My own view is that the sixties and eighties scenes were sufficiently different from one other to be considered separate phenomena.  They don't have to be played off against each other as they are so often. The two iterations were materially different, as was the surrounding temporal context. Each was a product of its time and each is worthy of commentary in its own right.

That said, I'm also a bit jaded by the sheer number of Mod books on the market and the rather formulaic approach adopted. I stopped reading them a while back. Too many, too samey and often way too nostalgic.  The prospect of publishing yet another Mod book left me cold.

In spirited defence of Mod Ghosts, my hope was that the book would be different enough conceptually and in the tone, emphasis and presentation of its content to set it apart. Scarcity alone sometimes bestows legendary status upon pieces of art and the days we spent pouring over Barnes' book are gone forever. In 2020 we're all potential authors, filmmakers and musicians. Some might say that's a shame, but I, for one, find that tremendously exciting. I get that not everyone will see it that way or relate to Mod Ghosts. That's as it should be and I find that exciting too.

well said.
Not stuck in the 60's

Simon Bond

• Is it me for a moment . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2020, 06:52:50 PM »

No argument here.

Indeed , of course the 6ts and 8ts are different epochs and I wasn't suggesting for a moment that they were one in the same at all. The two could never be the same , the 8ts incarnation to me was a poor reflection of the other bygone era . However , the 8ts incarnation was an attempt to ape the 6ts one in many ways but as you already mentioned elsewhere , most of us were trying to do it on the cheap . Unlike the 6ts version of events which evolved over a period of years , in the eighties case  it arrived , suddenly there were a bunch of kids on the streets wearing surplus parkas festooned with badges proclaiming themselves to be Mods.

Whilst l have seen  similar ground being covered by certain Mod books , it is probably unfair to write them all off as samey . The Barne's book for instance that you mention , whilst I may not have actually looked at it now for a couple of years , still stands as a good documentary from a guy who was in the thick of it and whilst there is his own personal account on the whole he has tried to get the views and input of many others from the period.

There is no need to defend your book as l am not in a position to attack  it nor would l attack it , my simple point being that having lived through the late 7ts early 8ts Mod era the good and the bad bits , l simply have no need to read about it through others eyes . I used to have an interest in how others had arrived at being a Mod back in the day but I now feel l have heard enough of them too .

I still listen to much of the 6ts music that we got into back in the 8ts whereas , l rarely listen to 8ts 'Mod' bands or indeed ever  think about my life in that part of the 8ts . At the time I was more interested in my scooter , l already had an affinity for scooters before l found out about Mods in 1976 . However , it was rarely a walk in the park and l can recall at least one incident that l was lucky to get out of alive and on another occaison being followed home by two guys on a large motorcycle , which wasn't my idea of good fun either . .

So for me , the 8ts Mod era could be summed up succintly as been there , done that and got the T-shirt and is no longer something l wish to read about , just like l gave up years ago reading football pundits stories of a match l had already attended . .
I wont make any deals with you , I've resigned. .
I wont be pushed, filed , stamped , indexed , briefed , debriefed OR NUMBERED!

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2020, 10:44:23 AM »

No argument here.

Indeed , of course the 6ts and 8ts are different epochs and I wasn't suggesting for a moment that they were one in the same at all. The two could never be the same , the 8ts incarnation to me was a poor reflection of the other bygone era . However , the 8ts incarnation was an attempt to ape the 6ts one in many ways but as you already mentioned elsewhere , most of us were trying to do it on the cheap . Unlike the 6ts version of events which evolved over a period of years , in the eighties case  it arrived , suddenly there were a bunch of kids on the streets wearing surplus parkas festooned with badges proclaiming themselves to be Mods.

Whilst l have seen  similar ground being covered by certain Mod books , it is probably unfair to write them all off as samey . The Barne's book for instance that you mention , whilst I may not have actually looked at it now for a couple of years , still stands as a good documentary from a guy who was in the thick of it and whilst there is his own personal account on the whole he has tried to get the views and input of many others from the period.

There is no need to defend your book as l am not in a position to attack  it nor would l attack it , my simple point being that having lived through the late 7ts early 8ts Mod era the good and the bad bits , l simply have no need to read about it through others eyes . I used to have an interest in how others had arrived at being a Mod back in the day but I now feel l have heard enough of them too .

I still listen to much of the 6ts music that we got into back in the 8ts whereas , l rarely listen to 8ts 'Mod' bands or indeed ever  think about my life in that part of the 8ts . At the time I was more interested in my scooter , l already had an affinity for scooters before l found out about Mods in 1976 . However , it was rarely a walk in the park and l can recall at least one incident that l was lucky to get out of alive and on another occaison being followed home by two guys on a large motorcycle , which wasn't my idea of good fun either . .

So for me , the 8ts Mod era could be summed up succintly as been there , done that and got the T-shirt and is no longer something l wish to read about , just like l gave up years ago reading football pundits stories of a match l had already attended . .

Well put, hermano. I perfectly understand your point of view (the fitba analogy is quite to the point), it's just I'm still interested in old 80s stories, maybe because they resonate in me while, being myself a foreigner, they're different enough from my own. I happen to like UK landscapes (urban or otherwise) too!

Getdeeper

• View Profile
    • Mod Ghosts
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2020, 07:43:13 PM »
A fascinating debate. I know it's a bit off-topic for the books section but hopefully our benevolent moderators will indulge us a bit longer. For me, exploring the 80s with the supposed wisdom of middle-age is not about nostalgia or a longing to re-live times past. I love being 53 and the kind of guy I've turned out to be. I wouldn't go back to those days even if I could.  No, it (and the book) is about looking back to make sense of our formative years and the extent to which those experiences contributed to who we became. Now that does interest me. In a recent interview, I described this notion as human terroir - that is to say, the way in which we are all the product of time and place. So I personally see value in analysing the past to help me better understand who I am in the present.  The seeds of my exemplary taste in modern music today were sown during my musical education in the 1980s! As were the seeds of my drink problem  ;)

I contend that Henry Ford was spectacularly way off the mark in this regard when, a hundred years ago, he famously remarked that, "History is more or less bunk. It's tradition. We don't want tradition. We want to live in the present, and the only history that is worth a tinker's damn is the history that we make today."  Great cars, Hal, but rubbish philosophy  ;)
MOD GHOSTS

dazlcfc

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2020, 08:26:04 PM »
A fascinating debate. I know it's a bit off-topic for the books section but hopefully our benevolent moderators will indulge us a bit longer. For me, exploring the 80s with the supposed wisdom of middle-age is not about nostalgia or a longing to re-live times past. I love being 53 and the kind of guy I've turned out to be. I wouldn't go back to those days even if I could.  No, it (and the book) is about looking back to make sense of our formative years and the extent to which those experiences contributed to who we became. Now that does interest me. In a recent interview, I described this notion as human terroir - that is to say, the way in which we are all the product of time and place. So I personally see value in analysing the past to help me better understand who I am in the present.  The seeds of my exemplary taste in modern music today were sown during my musical education in the 1980s! As were the seeds of my drink problem  ;)

I contend that Henry Ford was spectacularly way off the mark in this regard when, a hundred years ago, he famously remarked that, "History is more or less bunk. It's tradition. We don't want tradition. We want to live in the present, and the only history that is worth a tinker's damn is the history that we make today."  Great cars, Hal, but rubbish philosophy  ;)

Sounds decent enough and pretty mod. ;), I don't entirely agree but I understand where he's coming from.
Not stuck in the 60's

Getdeeper

• View Profile
    • Mod Ghosts
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2020, 10:39:12 PM »

Sounds decent enough and pretty mod. ;), I don't entirely agree but I understand where he's coming from.

.....and to be fair, there are elements of Mr Fordís later output that are best consigned to history. The challengingly gorgeous mid-90s Scorpio anyone?
MOD GHOSTS