Author Topic: RSG  (Read 1513 times)

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
Re: RSG
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2020, 09:11:06 AM »
I've just ordered my copy via the Book Depository website. Looking forward to reading it!

Still not received mine, Becky, Amazon Spain's being lazy with that one  >:(, expected for next week, fingers crossed.

Becky_Moffitt_83

• Mod Goddess... enough said!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2020, 12:32:47 PM »
I've just ordered my copy via the Book Depository website. Looking forward to reading it!

Still not received mine, Becky, Amazon Spain's being lazy with that one  >:(, expected for next week, fingers crossed.

Australia's worse when it comes to getting books, music etc. I couldn't order RSG on Amazon AU.  >:(
“The fashionable woman wears clothes. The clothes don't wear her.” Mary Quant

Simon Bond

• Is it me for a moment . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2020, 05:48:59 PM »

Australia's worse when it comes to getting books, music etc. I couldn't order RSG on Amazon AU.  >:(

I was talking to my Australian Buddie on Monday , sounds like what is going on down under right now isnae very good . .
I wont make any deals with you , I've resigned. .
I wont be pushed, filed , stamped , indexed , briefed , debriefed OR NUMBERED!

Becky_Moffitt_83

• Mod Goddess... enough said!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2020, 08:28:18 AM »

I was talking to my Australian Buddie on Monday , sounds like what is going on down under right now isnae very good . .

Received my pre-ordered copy today in the post. I had totally forgotten about the fact that I did that!  ;D The one I bought the other day I am hoping to sell to my ex for the price I paid for it on release day... Well, worth the money at any price, I must say...
You're right about Australia, SB. Australia is in the middle of a recession thanks to the virus. The only [temporary] "good thing" is that my welfare benefits have doubled until at least New Year's Eve.   :o
“The fashionable woman wears clothes. The clothes don't wear her.” Mary Quant

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2020, 06:13:29 PM »
Just got my hands on it. First impression: heavy!  ;D

Simon Bond

• Is it me for a moment . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2020, 06:53:46 PM »

🤣😜
I wont make any deals with you , I've resigned. .
I wont be pushed, filed , stamped , indexed , briefed , debriefed OR NUMBERED!

The Laird of Enfield

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2020, 11:17:06 PM »

Gyms still closed in Spain?

Nae excuse - get liftin' the book.

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2020, 09:40:41 AM »

I think I'll read it first, Laird, it also looks quite interesting  :)

Chilli

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2020, 03:04:32 PM »

This is another recent purchase that I've not got round to looking through yet, though it will have to join the queue behind the Stuart Cosgrove trilogy of soul-related books; Detroit 67, Memphis 68 and Harlem 69 which are waiting patiently on the bookshelf waiting to be read. 

Anyone read these; I'm hoping they're worth it, though they have had good reviews whenever I've seen any.

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2020, 04:17:14 PM »

This is another recent purchase that I've not got round to looking through yet, though it will have to join the queue behind the Stuart Cosgrove trilogy of soul-related books; Detroit 67, Memphis 68 and Harlem 69 which are waiting patiently on the bookshelf waiting to be read. 

Anyone read these; I'm hoping they're worth it, though they have had good reviews whenever I've seen any.

I've read the Detroit book, Chilli, and I have to say it lived up to expectations: a wonderful, thorough research work blended with an articulate narrative, which is the standard essays should aim to, IMO.

As you should expect, it's heavy on Motown but provides also a lot of context about the Motor City and the era, including the involvement of John Sinclair's White Panthers Party with black nationalist groups and the civil right struggles. In fact, I'm planning to read the rest of the trilogy some day soon.

As for the RSG tome, after savouring it for a couple of hours, I think the cover's claims to be the "definitive story" are quite accurate, with attention to detail very much to the fore (Andy Neill conducted literally hundreds of interviews during the 17 years that it took to ready -no pun intended- the book, and it shows), loads of great pictures of the show and its contributors, even pieces about the show by frequent guests as Mick Jagger. Probably the book of the year for people of our persuassion.