Author Topic: Talking Pictures TV  (Read 2893 times)

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
Re: Talking Pictures TV
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2020, 05:58:50 PM »
Netflix will blow your minds. ;D

Netflix used to be a good place to find foreign and Independent film maybe 5 years ago. it's turned into mostly bad in house produced series (with a few exceptions like "Ozark") and the occasional film worth watching (Roma,The Irishman).
Criterion Channel is much more interesting IMO.

I have to admit we have Netflix at home mainly for my mrs, I don't usually pay attention to it. But some series I've watched there veered from interesting to very good, and they've co-produced/hosted some stimulating documentaries, like the one about Lee Morgan.

I know the Criterion Collection as a prestigious movies reissue company, but I'm not familiar with their streaming service; moreover, don't even think my tv's equipped to watch that (it's not state-of-the-art stuff, tbh)

DrGonzo2411

• Dressing fine and making time.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2020, 11:49:26 AM »
TPTV is great, one of my only go-to channels. Lots of old gems on there, familiar and otherwise. Ealing comedies, Hammer Horror, and all sorts in between. The Small World of Sammy Lee gets an airing on there occasionally (I'm sure someone on here was lamenting not having seen it).
36/33 waist/leg, 46 chest, 10 shoe/boot

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2020, 08:39:28 AM »
TPTV is great, one of my only go-to channels. Lots of old gems on there, familiar and otherwise. Ealing comedies, Hammer Horror, and all sorts in between. The Small World of Sammy Lee gets an airing on there occasionally (I'm sure someone on here was lamenting not having seen it).

I haven't seen that, Nick! On my list, though

DrGonzo2411

• Dressing fine and making time.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2020, 04:17:07 PM »

Great film, Rafa, worth tracking down.
36/33 waist/leg, 46 chest, 10 shoe/boot

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2020, 05:31:32 PM »

Great film, Rafa, worth tracking down.

Yep, Nick, several guys whose judgement I respect (you included of course) have wholeheartedly recommended that one to me, so I guess it's worth watching

The Laird of Enfield

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2020, 10:49:47 PM »

A channel ah watch n'aw.

This looks worth watchin'.

Sun 07 Jun 20   22:00   This Is My Street   1964. Drama. Ian Hendry, June Ritchie, John Hurt, Annette Andre, Avice Landone and Mike Pratt feature among an outstanding cast in this mid-sixties realist drama from noted director Sidney Hayers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmfbQQ2VQX4

The Laird of Enfield

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2020, 07:33:47 PM »

Great news!  Budgie is back!    8)

Tue 16 Jun 20   21:00   

Budgie   Out. 1971.

Stars Adam Faith, Iain Cuthbertson & Lynn Dalby.

Budgie leaves prison and has a job planned within hours, a hijack of a vanload of cosmetics. Unfortunately, the van has a more unusual cargo

Chilli

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2020, 10:55:20 AM »

Budgie   Out. 1971.

Budgie leaves prison and has a job planned within hours, a hijack of a vanload of cosmetics. Unfortunately, the van has a more unusual cargo

Good spot The Laird!!

A few more to mention from w/b 15th:

Following the showing of Budgie above, is a repeat showing of SMASHING TIME commencing at 10pm.

Wednesday 17th at 22.05, Terence Stamp appears in a showing of Ken Loach's kitchen sink drama POOR COW (1967).

Saturday 20th at 23.30 THE BOYS (1962) as described by our very own Martin G (where's he been lately?) in 'Mojo Talkin' - Under the Influence of Mod'  -  THE BOYS essays a random night out for a group of young London lads heading "Up West".  The interaction and banter between the four leads..... is reflective of the young Modernists of the era but also of many young men today. They all aspire to better lives than the ones seemingly laid out for them on their tough London housing estate...........  Although perhaps mirroring a society a little bit behind the times, the group are referred to as Teddy Boys or 'Teds', but in actuality their clothing and general style evoke much of the look of early London Modernists.'

Enjoy!!

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2020, 11:05:30 AM »

Budgie   Out. 1971.

Good spot The Laird!!

Following the showing of Budgie above, is a repeat showing of SMASHING TIME commencing at 10pm.

Wednesday 17th at 22.05, Terence Stamp appears in a showing of Ken Loach's kitchen sink drama POOR COW (1967).

Saturday 20th at 23.30 THE BOYS (1962) as described by our very own Martin G (where's he been lately?) in 'Mojo Talkin' - Under the Influence of Mod'  -  THE BOYS essays a random night out for a group of young London lads heading "Up West".  The interaction and banter between the four leads..... is reflective of the young Modernists of the era but also of many young men today. They all aspire to better lives than the ones seemingly laid out for them on their tough London housing estate...........  Although perhaps mirroring a society a little bit behind the times, the group are referred to as Teddy Boys or 'Teds', but in actuality their clothing and general style evoke much of the look of early London Modernists.'

Enjoy!!

Martin (who, btw, is "alive and well"  ;D, I'm sure he still lurks here now and then) was spot-on in his depiction, the movie's central characters (the "boys" of the title) dress in fact like quite stylish early modernists (look at those crisp ps folds):

Adam

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2020, 02:10:58 PM »

Budgie   Out. 1971.

Good spot The Laird!!

Enjoy!!

Martin (who, btw, is "alive and well"  ;D, I'm sure he still lurks here now and then) was spot-on in his depiction, the movie's central characters (the "boys" of the title) dress in fact like quite stylish early modernists (look at those crisp ps folds):

Loving that Reverse stripe shirt. Wonder who makes those nowadays?  Brilliant film, not to be missed.