Author Topic: JTQ live set.  (Read 871 times)

Simon Bond

• Is it me for a moment . .
    • View Profile
Re: JTQ live set.
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2020, 11:28:20 AM »
I hear you, chaps. I've found a little sinks in by osmosis with our Ruby but, in general, she'd much rather listen to what purports to be popular music these days. Which is fair enough, I'm sure we all sneered at our parents music when we were young and had no taste!!

Fair point, NIck, but I have to add that I still think that 70% of what my parents listened to was crap  ;D Adamo? Ray Conniff? Los Indios Tabajaras? Nahhh!!!

And shhh, between you and me, 90% of what passes for radio-friendly pop music these days is utter rubbish; especifically the stuff my son hears is totally dumb and disgusting, not one redeeming quality (trap, reggaeton and the like  >:()

I stole anything of any interest from my parents (they had some Motown and a few decent comps) but yeah, they listened to some s**te. Jame Last anyone??  ;D

I guess we're ancient as far as our kids are concerned, but I do think this is a particularly barren time for popular music. I try to listen most things with an open mind, but the vast majority of the stuff I hear Ruby playing is just bland, homogenous rubbish. Others won't agree, but I'm resolutely retro in the bulk of my listening choices and completely comfortable with that!

My son has much of my taste and throughout his life he would ask me , when l was playing music " dad , who is that ?" and sometimes the answer would " indeed it is !" . He has came with me to see Weller a few times and wanted to buy us tickets for the Who but l felt it was way too much money .

On the other hand , whilst my daughter could probably tell you exactly what l like and even identify the musicians l would be playing , as far as her own taste goes she would be right up there with what Rubby likes . I have watched the movie Hairspray with her a couple of times but mainly to admire those 6ts style polo tops🤣
I wont make any deals with you , I've resigned. .
I wont be pushed, filed , stamped , indexed , briefed , debriefed OR NUMBERED!

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2020, 05:58:18 PM »
I hear you, chaps. I've found a little sinks in by osmosis with our Ruby but, in general, she'd much rather listen to what purports to be popular music these days. Which is fair enough, I'm sure we all sneered at our parents music when we were young and had no taste!!

Fair point, NIck, but I have to add that I still think that 70% of what my parents listened to was crap  ;D Adamo? Ray Conniff? Los Indios Tabajaras? Nahhh!!!

And shhh, between you and me, 90% of what passes for radio-friendly pop music these days is utter rubbish; especifically the stuff my son hears is totally dumb and disgusting, not one redeeming quality (trap, reggaeton and the like  >:()

I stole anything of any interest from my parents (they had some Motown and a few decent comps) but yeah, they listened to some s**te. Jame Last anyone??  ;D

I guess we're ancient as far as our kids are concerned, but I do think this is a particularly barren time for popular music. I try to listen most things with an open mind, but the vast majority of the stuff I hear Ruby playing is just bland, homogenous rubbish. Others won't agree, but I'm resolutely retro in the bulk of my listening choices and completely comfortable with that!

My son has much of my taste and throughout his life he would ask me , when l was playing music " dad , who is that ?" and sometimes the answer would " indeed it is !" . He has came with me to see Weller a few times and wanted to buy us tickets for the Who but l felt it was way too much money .

On the other hand , whilst my daughter could probably tell you exactly what l like and even identify the musicians l would be playing , as far as her own taste goes she would be right up there with what Rubby likes . I have watched the movie Hairspray with her a couple of times but mainly to admire those 6ts style polo tops🤣

I reckon you can consider yourself lucky in that department, Simon, though there'll be possibly other gents here that think that you've brainwashed your kids -especially your son- into liking your out of date, boring stuff and thus cruelly prevented them from developing more current, age-appropiate tastes, which is a shame given we're living a golden age of popular music unrivalled by ANY earlier time.  ;D

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2020, 06:02:42 PM »

Amen to that, Nick. Oh, and the Last of the James that was worthy was Brown, James Brown. I'll get my coat...

Simon Bond

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2020, 08:25:13 PM »

I reckon you can consider yourself lucky in that department, Simon, though there'll be possibly other gents here that think that you've brainwashed your kids -especially your son- into liking your out of date, boring stuff and thus cruelly prevented them from developing more current, age-appropiate tastes, which is a shame given we're living a golden age of popular music unrivalled by ANY earlier time.  ;D

I reckon that anyone who got the idea that l had somehow brainwashed my son into enjoying my kind of music , would be a rather ill informed person who has no real grasp of what brainwashing is or indeed what it actually involves.  However,  l totally get what you are saying and the kind of person you are referring to .

dazlcfc

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2020, 11:22:43 AM »

On the other hand , whilst my daughter could probably tell you exactly what l like and even identify the musicians l would be playing , as far as her own taste goes she would be right up there with what Rubby likes . I have watched the movie Hairspray with her a couple of times but mainly to admire those 6ts style polo tops

Nothing to do with brainwashing just more over exaggerations and generalisations.  If you haven't got a grasp of popular music because your too stuck in your ways and not willing to look for new stuff then that's your problem and about as far away as mod as you can get..... having said that though you're not alone in fact you're in the majority, mod these days does seem more backward looking than forward....guess it too is becoming a cliché of itself. 
« Last Edit: September 09, 2020, 11:27:47 AM by dazlcfc »
Not stuck in the 60's

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2020, 05:39:02 PM »
I never said I'm a mod  ::)

dazlcfc

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2020, 07:37:03 PM »

Ah makes sense then, might want to check the title of the forum.
Not stuck in the 60's

Simon Bond

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2020, 08:36:27 PM »

Oops , you should have noticed that the "mod polis" are at large 😱

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2020, 09:50:32 AM »

Oops , you should have noticed that the "mod polis" are at large 😱

That's what we call "la ley del embudo" here, hermano, "funnel law" on a rough translation. It means using objective facts at one's own convenience, distorting true as needed and putting coherence aside.

I'll make myself clear: this is a mod-related forum, obviously, but no one asked me for a mod membership card to access to it, and with good reason because why in the world somebody with zero interest in the admittedly restricted subject we're passionate about would want to enter here?!?! I may not consider me nowadays a "mod", but that doesn't diminish a iota my passion for certain clobber, music or style. I don't need (nor want) no tag attached to me to freely discuss these issues either.

On the other hand, we have a fella here who one moment seems outraged because we're discussing that old boring "mod" music here and not raving about the "new" and wonderful sounds being produced today, BUT the next moment accuses you of not being entitled to be here just because you don't call yourself a mod. From free-thinker to zealot in a comfortable step, talk about coherence.

I'm open to debate, of course, but it has to be respectful, thoughtful and rigurous within the given framework (yes, a mod forum); otherwise it's pointless and I'm not going to fall for it. Case closed as far as I'm concerned.

dazlcfc

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2020, 11:02:41 AM »

Oops , you should have noticed that the "mod polis" are at large

That's what we call "la ley del embudo" here, hermano, "funnel law" on a rough translation. It means using objective facts at one's own convenience, distorting true as needed and putting coherence aside.

I'll make myself clear: this is a mod-related forum, obviously, but no one asked me for a mod membership card to access to it, and with good reason because why in the world somebody with zero interest in the admittedly restricted subject we're passionate about would want to enter here?!?! I may not consider me nowadays a "mod", but that doesn't diminish a iota my passion for certain clobber, music or style. I don't need (nor want) no tag attached to me to freely discuss these issues either.

On the other hand, we have a fella here who one moment seems outraged because we're discussing that old boring "mod" music here and not raving about the "new" and wonderful sounds being produced today, BUT the next moment accuses you of not being entitled to be here just because you don't call yourself a mod. From free-thinker to zealot in a comfortable step, talk about coherence.

I'm open to debate, of course, but it has to be respectful, thoughtful and rigurous within the given framework (yes, a mod forum); otherwise it's pointless and I'm not going to fall for it. Case closed as far as I'm concerned.

Outraged?  Bizarre description.  You are the one who yet again alluded to me.  And again I never accused you of anything you seem paranoid about it.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 11:05:13 AM by dazlcfc »
Not stuck in the 60's