Author Topic: Anyone get the Details mag?  (Read 848 times)

Chilli

• Just joined
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone get the Details mag?
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2020, 11:18:20 AM »
Thought the first issue quite impressive, nice quality and layout, and i do hope its around long enough to develop its own personality and edge. As for the price, i will keep purchasing as long as the standard holds up.

Interesting to read in the first issue Claudio`s take on scarfs, which are spot on with my thoughts.

There's room to improve, I think, though it's a worthy effort and the pros outweigh the cons. Typos aside, a couple or three articles I found ill-advised, messy and/or pointless, but I'll let you guess which ones I'm pointing at  ;D

I'm not sure about ill-advised or pointless, to be honest.

Whilst I stated earlier that it is aimed at a niche market, one of the clichés often quoted about Mod is that it is a 'broad church' (in fact one of the articles focuses on that very point) so whilst one or two of the articles covered subjects that don't particularly interest me, I'm sure they were of interest to others, therefore worthy of inclusion.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that the 'broad church' article was actually quite courageous of the editors to cover, especially in the first edition.

Like you say though, attention to detail is a typical Mod trait (I'm not playing Mod cliché bingo here  ;D) so rectifying typo's in future editions is a must for me, but all in all, I thought it was a great first edition.

Chilli.

For example, for my sins I also buy the monthly 'Scootering' magazine.  There are numerous articles in there that just don't interest me, but there's enough that do to justify

Don't get me wrong, Chilli, I'm glad I contributed to fund the magazine and overall happy with the outcome; if similar standards are kept in the second issue, I'll surely continue supporting Detail.

To get into details (pun intended), it's just -remember I'm a journalist by trade, I can't help being critical  ;D- I found one of the pieces, that moreover was very interesting to me on paper, badly organized and confusing, without a clear sense of purpose and hopelessly rambling. Self-indulgence, lack of rigurous work? Another one I found utterly supperfluous and boring, a case of nothing new under the sun. And a third one is a shameful attempt at Political Correctness that's at odds with the rest of the magazine and seems badly out of place. It's just my opinion though.

Ah, I didn't know you were a journalist by trade; I did wonder how you found time to trawl through so many retail websites to keep us all informed about latest releases and sales  ;D (I do appreciate you doing that, though not the prices sometimes  :o).

I'm certainly interested in your opinion and critique of the magazine because you come from a totally different perspective to me and, as you say, it's just personal opinions that we're sharing, which are thankfully all different though coming from a similar perspective; it'd be very boring if we all liked the same thing and had the same opinions about everything.

I've also realised that I pressed the 'send' button before I'd finished my sentence (I'm surprised the journalist in you didn't pick me up on that  ;), but I'm sure you got my drift.

All in all, like yourself, I think the magazine certainly had more plusses than minuses so I'll definitely be continuing to subscribe if they can keep the overall quality up.

Take care.

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2020, 04:19:01 PM »
Thought the first issue quite impressive, nice quality and layout, and i do hope its around long enough to develop its own personality and edge. As for the price, i will keep purchasing as long as the standard holds up.

Interesting to read in the first issue Claudio`s take on scarfs, which are spot on with my thoughts.

There's room to improve, I think, though it's a worthy effort and the pros outweigh the cons. Typos aside, a couple or three articles I found ill-advised, messy and/or pointless, but I'll let you guess which ones I'm pointing at  ;D

Whilst I stated earlier that it is aimed at a niche market, one of the clichés often quoted about Mod is that it is a 'broad church' (in fact one of the articles focuses on that very point) so whilst one or two of the articles covered subjects that don't particularly interest me, I'm sure they were of interest to others, therefore worthy of inclusion.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that the 'broad church' article was actually quite courageous of the editors to cover, especially in the first edition.

Like you say though, attention to detail is a typical Mod trait (I'm not playing Mod cliché bingo here  ;D) so rectifying typo's in future editions is a must for me, but all in all, I thought it was a great first edition.

Chilli.

For example, for my sins I also buy the monthly 'Scootering' magazine.  There are numerous articles in there that just don't interest me, but there's enough that do to justify

Don't get me wrong, Chilli, I'm glad I contributed to fund the magazine and overall happy with the outcome; if similar standards are kept in the second issue, I'll surely continue supporting Detail.

To get into details (pun intended), it's just -remember I'm a journalist by trade, I can't help being critical  ;D- I found one of the pieces, that moreover was very interesting to me on paper, badly organized and confusing, without a clear sense of purpose and hopelessly rambling. Self-indulgence, lack of rigurous work? Another one I found utterly supperfluous and boring, a case of nothing new under the sun. And a third one is a shameful attempt at Political Correctness that's at odds with the rest of the magazine and seems badly out of place. It's just my opinion though.

Ah, I didn't know you were a journalist by trade; I did wonder how you found time to trawl through so many retail websites to keep us all informed about latest releases and sales  ;D (I do appreciate you doing that, though not the prices sometimes  :o).

I'm certainly interested in your opinion and critique of the magazine because you come from a totally different perspective to me and, as you say, it's just personal opinions that we're sharing, which are thankfully all different though coming from a similar perspective; it'd be very boring if we all liked the same thing and had the same opinions about everything.

I've also realised that I pressed the 'send' button before I'd finished my sentence (I'm surprised the journalist in you didn't pick me up on that  ;), but I'm sure you got my drift.

All in all, like yourself, I think the magazine certainly had more plusses than minuses so I'll definitely be continuing to subscribe if they can keep the overall quality up.

Take care.

Cheers, amigo, thanks for your kind words. Last years I've been working in a regional government office. Not as demanding as a proper journo job (I've been in broadcasting and magazines for many years and believe me, pressure is a given), so I can take off some time to check out what's happening in the sartorial world. 

Regarding your unfinished sentence, it wasn't that difficult for my well-trained mind to complete it!  ;D Correct me if I'm wrong: "to justify[...] its purchase"   ;)

Back to serious matters, one of the things that makes this forum worthwile is the (civilized) exposition of different points of view about a common set of interests. And of course, diverging opinions are the salt of debate, we'd be bored to death if we agree about everything (hey, we agree on that!  ;D). I've learned a lot here and make good friends, what's not to like?

Take care yourself too, Chilli.

Chilli

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2020, 08:01:56 AM »

Chilli.

Take care.

Cheers, amigo, thanks for your kind words. Last years I've been working in a regional government office. Not as demanding as a proper journo job (I've been in broadcasting and magazines for many years and believe me, pressure is a given), so I can take off some time to check out what's happening in the sartorial world. 

Regarding your unfinished sentence, it wasn't that difficult for my well-trained mind to complete it!  ;D Correct me if I'm wrong: "to justify[...] its purchase"   ;)

Back to serious matters, one of the things that makes this forum worthwile is the (civilized) exposition of different points of view about a common set of interests. And of course, diverging opinions are the salt of debate, we'd be bored to death if we agree about everything (hey, we agree on that!  ;D). I've learned a lot here and make good friends, what's not to like?

Take care yourself too, Chilli.

Absolutely agree about your last point, though there's one obvious exception to that statement  ;)

I know I don't contribute to the Forum as much as some though I do try to participate where I can, but when I do find time I always find it interesting to read different perspectives, as you state, usually in a civilised way.

Cheers.

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2020, 09:57:50 AM »

Absolutely agree about your last point, though there's one obvious exception to that statement  ;)

Oh, don't start me on that, I'm bored to death!  ;D

dazlcfc

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2020, 11:11:51 AM »
My ears are burning, not civilized?  I think you're alluding to the wrong person. Remember it was a certain someone on here who couldn't stop his obsession with me.

But the truth came out anyway....whether people choose to remember it or not.

Not stuck in the 60's

The Laird of Enfield

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2020, 04:45:45 PM »

I concur with everything Rafa's said.

I've only had a chance to read the first 10-15 pages so far, but I like the range of issues covered within the magazine and there's no doubting the credentials of many of the contributors (I say many purely because I don't know all of them so can't pass judgement) .

I think that some people may view the cost as a little excessive for the quantity of pages, but this has to be offset against the fact that it is 'targeted' (excuse the pun  :D) at a very niche market therefore the cost of each edition will be higher than a more mass-market orientated publication.  It's certainly a price that I'm happy to pay and, like Rafa, contributed through the Kickstarter project to help get the magazine off the ground.

Oh, you've beat me to the "target" pun!  ;D. Seriously, Chilli, I share your concerns about the price but also agree with you regarding the limited audience and high publishing costs of this kind of projects, which more than justify the price tag IMO.

And yes it's been a pleasure having helped to launch the project, though the complimentary tote bag isn't the one I voted for!  :-\ ;D

Ah've goat a copy, but only had a quick squint at it thus far so cannae really pass judgement oan the contents.

As far as the pricin' goes, in ma workin' life ah have tae purchase legal textbooks n' the prices in that field wid make yir eyes water fur the same reasons outlined above.

A no uncommon scenario is havin' tae explain tae an aggrieved lawyer that the reason they cannae huv a personal copy ay a certain text is cos it costs £800+.  Certain journals in that field cost hundreds fur a yearly subscription ay 12 slim monthly issues.

So if ah find the content reasonably interestin' ah'll probably buy subsequent issues.

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2020, 05:29:23 PM »

A no uncommon scenario is havin' tae explain tae an aggrieved lawyer that the reason they cannae huv a personal copy ay a certain text is cos it costs £800+.  Certain journals in that field cost hundreds fur a yearly subscription ay 12 slim monthly issues.

So if ah find the content reasonably interestin' ah'll probably buy subsequent issues.

:o

The Laird of Enfield

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2020, 08:35:10 PM »

Hope that wee "shocked" face refers tae the cost ay law books rather than bein' astounded ah kin read.    ;D

Actually wi' less than a full quota comin' intae the office fur the foreseeable future ah cut yin ay oor annual purchases this week fae twa copies ay a particular book tae jist a single copy.

Earned some kudos fur savin' £395 by droppin' a copy!

As fur the Details magazine it is currently occupyin' the lavatorial bookshelf in Laird mansions.

Ah'm a man ay fairly regular bowel movements, so ah'm aboot halfway thru'.

Could've done withoot the Ye Ye article personally, but ah'm likely tae commit tae the second issue oan the strength ay whit ah've read so far.

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2020, 08:48:44 AM »

Hope that wee "shocked" face refers tae the cost ay law books rather than bein' astounded ah kin read.    ;D

Actually wi' less than a full quota comin' intae the office fur the foreseeable future ah cut yin ay oor annual purchases this week fae twa copies ay a particular book tae jist a single copy.

Earned some kudos fur savin' £395 by droppin' a copy!

As fur the Details magazine it is currently occupyin' the lavatorial bookshelf in Laird mansions.

Ah'm a man ay fairly regular bowel movements, so ah'm aboot halfway thru'.

Could've done withoot the Ye Ye article personally, but ah'm likely tae commit tae the second issue oan the strength ay whit ah've read so far.

Oh, you've got it in the honour room of the house, the throne so to speak, bravo!

And yes, the shocked face was a reply to the outrageous prices of law texts, not for a moment I doubted your reading skills  ;)