Author Topic: Anyone get the Details mag?  (Read 424 times)

BrianB

• Just joined
    • View Profile
Anyone get the Details mag?
« on: September 09, 2020, 06:04:12 PM »
I just ordered mine, wondering is anyone had it and if they had any first thoughts
Initials B.B.

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone get the Details mag?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2020, 10:06:15 AM »
Received it yesterday Brian, and so far so good. From an aesthetic point of view it's quite enjoyable: glossy paper, good images' repro, unobtrusive layout (that could have been a bit more stylish, IMO). There are some typos that somewhat are at odds with the "attention to detail" motto, but that's something that should be easily sorted out in upcoming numbers and detracts little from the reading enjoyement.

Contents-wise (no spoilers, honest  ;D), fortunately, for the most part it eschews entry-level topics, and the contributors are a who's who of dedicated members of the scene and solvent enough writers (the likes of Smiler or Jason Brummell), so you can expect quality on that department. The interest of the articles and interviews themselves will depend of course of your specific interests, but the choice of topics -fashion, style, music- and subjects mantains a neat balance, something for everyone so to speak.

All in all, a pretty decent effort that still has ground to improve. Quite happy myself with it.

BrianB

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2020, 02:35:54 PM »
Thanks GS, really looking forward to mine now!
Initials B.B.

Chilli

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2020, 03:15:29 PM »
Received it yesterday Brian, and so far so good. From an aesthetic point of view it's quite enjoyable: glossy paper, good images' repro, unobtrusive layout (that could have been a bit more stylish, IMO). There are some typos that somewhat are at odds with the "attention to detail" motto, but that's something that should be easily sorted out in upcoming numbers and detracts little from the reading enjoyement.

Contents-wise (no spoilers, honest  ;D), fortunately, for the most part it eschews entry-level topics, and the contributors are a who's who of dedicated members of the scene and solvent enough writers (the likes of Smiler or Jason Brummell), so you can expect quality on that department. The interest of the articles and interviews themselves will depend of course of your specific interests, but the choice of topics -fashion, style, music- and subjects mantains a neat balance, something for everyone so to speak.

All in all, a pretty decent effort that still has ground to improve. Quite happy myself with it.

I concur with everything Rafa's said.

I've only had a chance to read the first 10-15 pages so far, but I like the range of issues covered within the magazine and there's no doubting the credentials of many of the contributors (I say many purely because I don't know all of them so can't pass judgement) .

I think that some people may view the cost as a little excessive for the quantity of pages, but this has to be offset against the fact that it is 'targeted' (excuse the pun  :D) at a very niche market therefore the cost of each edition will be higher than a more mass-market orientated publication.  It's certainly a price that I'm happy to pay and, like Rafa, contributed through the Kickstarter project to help get the magazine off the ground.

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2020, 04:15:53 PM »

I've only had a chance to read the first 10-15 pages so far, but I like the range of issues covered within the magazine and there's no doubting the credentials of many of the contributors (I say many purely because I don't know all of them so can't pass judgement) .

I think that some people may view the cost as a little excessive for the quantity of pages, but this has to be offset against the fact that it is 'targeted' (excuse the pun  :D) at a very niche market therefore the cost of each edition will be higher than a more mass-market orientated publication.  It's certainly a price that I'm happy to pay and, like Rafa, contributed through the Kickstarter project to help get the magazine off the ground.

Oh, you've beat me to the "target" pun!  ;D. Seriously, Chilli, I share your concerns about the price but also agree with you regarding the limited audience and high publishing costs of this kind of projects, which more than justify the price tag IMO.

And yes it's been a pleasure having helped to launch the project, though the complimentary tote bag isn't the one I voted for!  :-\ ;D

Chilli

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2020, 07:34:09 AM »

Oh, you've beat me to the "target" pun!  ;D. Seriously, Chilli, I share your concerns about the price but also agree with you regarding the limited audience and high publishing costs of this kind of projects, which more than justify the price tag IMO.

And yes it's been a pleasure having helped to launch the project, though the complimentary tote bag isn't the one I voted for!  :-\ ;D

Ha ha, likewise, the tote bag design wasn't the one I voted for either, but that's democracy; you don't always get what you want (just ask the USA!!  ;))

Ematt

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2020, 02:40:40 PM »
Thought the first issue quite impressive, nice quality and layout, and i do hope its around long enough to develop its own personality and edge. As for the price, i will keep purchasing as long as the standard holds up.

Interesting to read in the first issue Claudio`s take on scarfs, which are spot on with my thoughts.

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2020, 04:39:14 PM »
Thought the first issue quite impressive, nice quality and layout, and i do hope its around long enough to develop its own personality and edge. As for the price, i will keep purchasing as long as the standard holds up.

Interesting to read in the first issue Claudio`s take on scarfs, which are spot on with my thoughts.

There's room to improve, I think, though it's a worthy effort and the pros outweigh the cons. Typos aside, a couple or three articles I found ill-advised, messy and/or pointless, but I'll let you guess which ones I'm pointing at  ;D

Chilli

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2020, 08:59:32 AM »

There's room to improve, I think, though it's a worthy effort and the pros outweigh the cons. Typos aside, a couple or three articles I found ill-advised, messy and/or pointless, but I'll let you guess which ones I'm pointing at  ;D

I'm not sure about ill-advised or pointless, to be honest.

Whilst I stated earlier that it is aimed at a niche market, one of the clichés often quoted about Mod is that it is a 'broad church' (in fact one of the articles focuses on that very point) so whilst one or two of the articles covered subjects that don't particularly interest me, I'm sure they were of interest to others, therefore worthy of inclusion.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that the 'broad church' article was actually quite courageous of the editors to cover, especially in the first edition.

Like you say though, attention to detail is a typical Mod trait (I'm not playing Mod cliché bingo here  ;D) so rectifying typo's in future editions is a must for me, but all in all, I thought it was a great first edition.

Chilli.

For example, for my sins I also buy the monthly 'Scootering' magazine.  There are numerous articles in there that just don't interest me, but there's enough that do to justify

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2020, 10:16:12 AM »

I'm not sure about ill-advised or pointless, to be honest.

Whilst I stated earlier that it is aimed at a niche market, one of the clichés often quoted about Mod is that it is a 'broad church' (in fact one of the articles focuses on that very point) so whilst one or two of the articles covered subjects that don't particularly interest me, I'm sure they were of interest to others, therefore worthy of inclusion.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that the 'broad church' article was actually quite courageous of the editors to cover, especially in the first edition.

Like you say though, attention to detail is a typical Mod trait (I'm not playing Mod cliché bingo here  ;D) so rectifying typo's in future editions is a must for me, but all in all, I thought it was a great first edition.

Chilli.

For example, for my sins I also buy the monthly 'Scootering' magazine.  There are numerous articles in there that just don't interest me, but there's enough that do to justify

Don't get me wrong, Chilli, I'm glad I contributed to fund the magazine and overall happy with the outcome; if similar standards are kept in the second issue, I'll surely continue supporting Detail.

To get into details (pun intended), it's just -remember I'm a journalist by trade, I can't help being critical  ;D- I found one of the pieces, that moreover was very interesting to me on paper, badly organized and confusing, without a clear sense of purpose and hopelessly rambling. Self-indulgence, lack of rigurous work? Another one I found utterly supperfluous and boring, a case of nothing new under the sun. And a third one is a shameful attempt at Political Correctness that's at odds with the rest of the magazine and seems badly out of place. It's just my opinion though.