Author Topic: RIP Spencer Davis  (Read 280 times)

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
Re: RIP Spencer Davis
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2020, 05:09:51 PM »
Not denying the merits of the post-Winwood SDG incarnation, I think the true outstanding talent of the band was Stevie Winwood, and stating Traffic never reached the artistic heights of the previous band is risky, to say the least, Nick. First Traffic LP and John Barleycorn must die are cornerstones of British rock, as key at least as the "Gimme some lovin" and "I'm a man" (to a lesser extent, "Keep on runnin'") 45s to the Brit pop canon.

Spencer Davis had a good eye to choose frontmen (Eddie Hardin wasn't Steve Winwood by any means but had his own talents) but when all is said and done, and with due respect to Spencer, frontmen are who determine the artistic status of a band.

All about opinions, Rafa. I'm not knocking Traffic, far from it but, for me, SDG was Winwood's pinnacle. Certainly agree re frontmen; you can have all the virtuosos you want in a band, but if your frontman is crap.........

Of course, Nick, it's all about tastes, and I respect -and trust- yours. Moreover, what makes this place great is we all have our take on music, clobber, etc...

Mo

• Turn off your mind,relax and float down stream
    • View Profile
Re: RIP Spencer Davis
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2020, 09:08:31 AM »
Adore the Spencer Davis Group. I'm a Man for me is their finest 45. Here we go Around the Mulberry Bush is a fine soundtrack.
As for Traffic, two quite different groups. Their debut is excellent and Paper Sun.
And my soul has been psychedelicized.