Author Topic: The "Broken Suit" an informal poll  (Read 489 times)

detroitmike

• Just joined
    • View Profile
Re: The "Broken Suit" an informal poll
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2020, 06:24:18 PM »
Over on Styleforum they’ve coined the phrase ‘northern lights’ to describe a jacket lighter than the strides. I think it may have come about as a reaction to the oft-expressed fallacy that navy odd trousers can never look good.

I think wearing a lighter jacket and wearing dark blue or navy strides can be more challenging but can certainly be done successfully. I have two outfits that I wear which have a lighter jacket and dark blue / navy strides. One is a cotton Uniqlo pincord jacket which I wear with dark blue sta pressts, the other I’m wearing today - a light grey gingham check wool Ted Baker jacket with dark petrol-blue wool strides.

To me navy trousers are really versatile and of course can be worn with lighter jackets. In fact (most) sartorial rules are just asking to be broken, but they usually exist for a reason, and the trespasser has to know what he's doing

I have a couple of "Cream" colored jackets (one with dark navy double pinstripes) that I wear with Navy or black/charcoal trousers.
The one suit I never question was a Suit Supply wool Navy with light grey Window Check over. Wearing the matching trousers(besides not liking the cut) looked way too "loud". so I always wear it with a lighter grey flannel DNA trouser.
"War is not the answer, because only love can conquer hate..."

Rod

• Style in the Modern World
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2020, 06:42:33 PM »
Mike - In the central overlap of the Venn diagram of our wardrobes there will be, among other things ...

Cream cotton BB blazer, which I wear with marine blue cotton strides

Royal blue wool Ted Baker jacket with light grey windowpane, which I wear with light silver-grey wool strides

DrGonzo2411

• Dressing fine and making time.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2020, 02:45:28 PM »
All down to personal taste, gents, I simply don't like the dark jacket/lighter strides look.
36/33 waist/leg, 46 chest, 10 shoe/boot

The Laird of Enfield

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2020, 04:17:20 PM »
Generally in the light jaiket, dark troosers camp masel', although ah will wear dark tweeds or houndstooth wi' lighter coloured breeks or cords/chinos oan occasion.