Author Topic: Start Mod zine returns  (Read 477 times)

Robin_Wick

• Just joined
    • View Profile
Start Mod zine returns
« on: January 04, 2021, 05:52:41 PM »
Respected Mod zine Start has launched its new issue

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Start-fanzine-64-pages-of-style-and-music-in-full-technicolour/324411927896?hash=item4b88752d58:g:omcAAOSwnKlf0e1O

I picked it up - thought it was great! Superb photography and some nice features too

Looking forward to more!

Side note, between Start, the new Detail mag, Heavy Soul (new issue out now), Sharpen Up, and the Spirit of 69 skin zine, the landscape for zines / DIY publishing is the healthiest it's been in some time!

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
Re: Start Mod zine returns
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2021, 06:48:08 PM »
Respected Mod zine Start has launched its new issue

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Start-fanzine-64-pages-of-style-and-music-in-full-technicolour/324411927896?hash=item4b88752d58:g:omcAAOSwnKlf0e1O

I picked it up - thought it was great! Superb photography and some nice features too

Looking forward to more!

Side note, between Start, the new Detail mag, Heavy Soul (new issue out now), Sharpen Up, and the Spirit of 69 skin zine, the landscape for zines / DIY publishing is the healthiest it's been in some time!

Saw that in Facebook, Robin, it looks quite decent, some pals of mine get a mention too!

Ematt

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2021, 01:54:19 PM »
Looks great and the layout is good, but i think the content quality needs to go up a notch...or two.

Robin_Wick

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2021, 12:03:53 PM »
Looks great and the layout is good, but i think the content quality needs to go up a notch...or two.

I actually like it but each to their own

Out of interest, what do people want to read in a fanzine? Interviews, record round ups, full fashion features...? Something from the 60s / 80s or something more Now?

dazlcfc

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2021, 12:27:08 PM »

Out of interest, what do people want to read in a fanzine? Interviews, record round ups, full fashion features...? Something from the 60s / 80s or something more Now?

Definitely more 'Now'.
Not stuck in the 60's

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2021, 05:32:53 PM »

Robin, a bit of everything for me, variety makes them more interesting and entertaining. In fact, it would be nice they touched more on wider issues of style, like design icons, cinema or architecture. Sometimes the "mod" tag becomes a constraint and works as a disadvantage.

Robin_Wick

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2021, 01:55:52 PM »
Definitely agree with both of those responses!

Really enjoy learning about Mid Century + 60s aesthetics, alongside the more standard Mod fare

I guess it must be hard to be 'Now' focussed during lockdown, with no clubs and no shops open - that said, some amazing new music being released from Kevin Fingier, Colemine Records etc, and online shopping still has great options

Who knows... maybe I'll start my own zine!  ;)

Ematt

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2021, 03:16:01 PM »
Robin, i do like the magazine and will buy it again, but the content needs to be better, if its going to last. That`s easier said than done i know.

Regarding what i would like to read, everything you suggest but with a big emphasis on now.