Author Topic: Just got "The Green Owls", mixed feelings  (Read 129 times)

BrianB

• Just joined
    • View Profile
Just got "The Green Owls", mixed feelings
« on: March 31, 2021, 01:57:34 PM »
Has anyone else got this book? I am about 1-2 chapters in and have mixed feelings....
Initials B.B.

Chilli

• Just joined
    • View Profile
Re: Just got "The Green Owls", mixed feelings
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2021, 10:49:01 AM »
Has anyone else got this book? I am about 1-2 chapters in and have mixed feelings....

Brian,

Tell us more!!

I've had a quick look on amazon and see that the book is set in early 70's Yorkshire and has a skinhead/football link.  Reading the summary, it sounds like an English version of the late 70s film Warriors (but obviously set in Leeds not NY).

Did you persevere with the book and, if so, what did you think?

BrianB

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2021, 08:21:30 PM »
Chili, I don't want to rag on the author, but I am reading now just to finish it. It does seem to be a mash-up of other popular stories/movies in a somewhat obvious ways. Not a lot of originality in it and there's these strange "history lessons" dotted in the book for seemingly no reason. If you were thinking of getting , I would recommend passing.
Initials B.B.

Chilli

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2021, 01:16:25 PM »
Chili, I don't want to rag on the author, but I am reading now just to finish it. It does seem to be a mash-up of other popular stories/movies in a somewhat obvious ways. Not a lot of originality in it and there's these strange "history lessons" dotted in the book for seemingly no reason. If you were thinking of getting , I would recommend passing.

Thanks Brian,

To be honest, I'd never heard of it until I saw your post, so decided to do a bit of digging to see what the plotline was.  At the risk of repeating myself, it did seem very reminiscent of numerous other plotlines/movies, the most obvious one that struck me being Warriors from the late 70s.

I've still got a pile of books to read through (that have definitely come recommended) plus a number of others that have been added to the 'to buy' list more recently, so based on your feedback, I can't see this one troubling that list anytime soon.

Thanks for replying.