Author Topic: The official Modculture football thread  (Read 220477 times)

Simon Bond

• Is it me for a moment . .
    • View Profile
Re: The official Modculture football thread
« Reply #1140 on: January 07, 2018, 07:31:10 PM »
Hopefully , we get to see more interviews like this. . :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EB3NMP-C61A
I wont make any deals with you , I've resigned. .
I wont be pushed, filed , stamped , indexed , briefed , debriefed OR NUMBERED!

The Laird of Enfield

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: January 21, 2018, 03:39:41 PM »

Bit overdue but nice tae see the Cyrille Regis tributes before the games yesterday.  Celtic Park included.

As  a youngster ah loved that WBA "Three Degrees" team. 

Yin ay ma mates oan the council estate whaur ah lived at the time wis a nephew ay the big dirty jock WBA centre half Ally Robertson, wha' did the tacklin' n' left the fitba tae Cunningham & Regis.

Simon Bond

• View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: January 26, 2018, 09:42:18 PM »
 51 points 11 clear , we will soon be out of reach . We are on our way. .

The Laird of Enfield

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: January 27, 2018, 12:15:40 AM »

Let's hope yese defend better than yese did in the cup last weekend.

Simon Bond

• View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: January 27, 2018, 09:59:03 AM »

We were outclassed by a better team . I reckon Morgan must have been looking at Christie thinking ," if he can't get in the Celtic first team what chance do I have ". .

I also think that the Dons should have a look at the contract of Mr D . Mcinnes as his team seem to be lying down to sevco. .

Simon Bond

• View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: January 27, 2018, 01:18:43 PM »
    . .here is one for Snr Sydney , mi hermano. . 8)

If Vallencia still don't want to meet the mighty Buddies we could always challenge these guys mentioned in the article below from today's Times for a nice wee awayday ...

Replica Catalan village stays true to its Paisley ties

Coats, the textile firm, wanted its workers to feel at home when 300 moved to work at its Spanish factory

Coats, the textile firm, wanted its workers to feel at home when 300 moved to work at its Spanish factory

The saltire still flies from the factory building and the houses are a perfect replica of those once used by textile workers in Paisley.

Even the local football team wears shirts which bear the black and white stripes of St Mirren, while the Scottish flag vies for space on each player’s shirt.

However, even though the Catalonian village of Borgonyà is more than a thousand miles away from the Renfrewshire town on which it was based, its 300 inhabitants have faithfully preserved its Celtic roots.

Now, long after Coats, the former west of Scotland textile giant, left and sold off the houses it built for its Scottish workers in the late 19th century, Borgonyà wants to reinvent itself as a magnet for “industrial tourists”.

Eric Sibina, mayor of Sant Vicenç de Torelló, which includes the purpose-built village one hour’s drive north of Barcelona, said: “We attract Spanish tourists and school groups who come and see how the textile industry grew in this part of Spain. “What we would like to do is to attract tourists who are not just interested in sun and sand holidays but want to see some of our industrial history. There is a real appetite for that. We are about an hour from the Costa Brava, so it is not too far.”

In 1895 Coats bought the rights to use the water of the River Ter and built a factory to make sewing thread. Some 200 Scottish workers moved to this remote corner of Catalonia to work for the textile company. One road still bears the name Scotland Street.

The Borgonyà factory took advantage of the strength of the river to produce hydraulic energy. To make the workers feel at home, Coats built exact replicas of their cottages in Paisley, where the company began.

Carles García, director of the Ter Museum, which promotes educational tours to Borgonyà, said: “Some were small detached town houses with a garden at the back while others were terraced. They were very British types of homes.” There was a church, schools for both sexes, a theatre, a hairdresser, a post office, a cemetery and a nursery.

Unlike model villages constructed by other companies for their workers, Coats did not intend to impose any element of social control upon its staff. Instead the idea was to make them feel at home while they lived abroad.

The textile industry declined from the 1980s onwards and Coats began to sell off the terraced houses in 1999. Now they are much sought after by wealthy Spanish second home owners.

The local football team Club Deportivo Borgonyà, which plays in the Catalan regional third division, was formed by Coats to give workers something to do with their free time. Its shirt was an exact copy of the black and white stripes of St Mirren, the local team in Paisley. Since 2012 the team has had a saltire and the yellow and red stripes of the Catalan flag on the back of each shirt.

Joan Sadurní, club president, said: “We wanted to have some link with St Mirren for historical reasons. We have never played them but we would love to. We are all amateurs and the village only has 300 people but it would be great.”

In 2013 the village was given national heritage site protection. The story comes full circle as Coats Group, founded in 1755, and which remains the world’s largest manufacturer and distributor of sewing threads and supplies — and the second largest maker of zips and fasteners — has returned to Spain.

In 2016 the multinational, which employs 19,000 people in 60 countries, purchased Gotex, a Barcelona-based company which designs and manufactures the fibres and yarns used in telecommunications, energy, oil and gas sectors.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 01:20:37 PM by Simon Bond »

The Laird of Enfield

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: January 27, 2018, 01:39:05 PM »

We were outclassed by a better team . I reckon Morgan must have been looking at Christie thinking ," if he can't get in the Celtic first team what chance do I have ". .

Aberdeen's best player wis yir left back.

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: January 27, 2018, 04:21:01 PM »

If Vallencia still don't want to meet the mighty Buddies we could always challenge these guys mentioned in the article below from today's Times for a nice wee awayday ...

The saltire still flies from the factory building and the houses are a perfect replica of those once used by textile workers in Paisley.

Even the local football team wears shirts which bear the black and white stripes of St Mirren, while the Scottish flag vies for space on each player’s shirt.

However, even though the Catalonian village of Borgonyà is more than a thousand miles away from the Renfrewshire town on which it was based, its 300 inhabitants have faithfully preserved its Celtic roots.

Now, long after Coats, the former west of Scotland textile giant, left and sold off the houses it built for its Scottish workers in the late 19th century, Borgonyà wants to reinvent itself as a magnet for “industrial tourists”.

Eric Sibina, mayor of Sant Vicenç de Torelló, which includes the purpose-built village one hour’s drive north of Barcelona, said: “We attract Spanish tourists and school groups who come and see how the textile industry grew in this part of Spain. “What we would like to do is to attract tourists who are not just interested in sun and sand holidays but want to see some of our industrial history. There is a real appetite for that. We are about an hour from the Costa Brava, so it is not too far.”

In 1895 Coats bought the rights to use the water of the River Ter and built a factory to make sewing thread. Some 200 Scottish workers moved to this remote corner of Catalonia to work for the textile company. One road still bears the name Scotland Street.

The Borgonyà factory took advantage of the strength of the river to produce hydraulic energy. To make the workers feel at home, Coats built exact replicas of their cottages in Paisley, where the company began.

Carles García, director of the Ter Museum, which promotes educational tours to Borgonyà, said: “Some were small detached town houses with a garden at the back while others were terraced. They were very British types of homes.” There was a church, schools for both sexes, a theatre, a hairdresser, a post office, a cemetery and a nursery.

Unlike model villages constructed by other companies for their workers, Coats did not intend to impose any element of social control upon its staff. Instead the idea was to make them feel at home while they lived abroad.

The textile industry declined from the 1980s onwards and Coats began to sell off the terraced houses in 1999. Now they are much sought after by wealthy Spanish second home owners.

The local football team Club Deportivo Borgonyà, which plays in the Catalan regional third division, was formed by Coats to give workers something to do with their free time. Its shirt was an exact copy of the black and white stripes of St Mirren, the local team in Paisley. Since 2012 the team has had a saltire and the yellow and red stripes of the Catalan flag on the back of each shirt.

Joan Sadurní, club president, said: “We wanted to have some link with St Mirren for historical reasons. We have never played them but we would love to. We are all amateurs and the village only has 300 people but it would be great.”

In 2013 the village was given national heritage site protection. The story comes full circle as Coats Group, founded in 1755, and which remains the world’s largest manufacturer and distributor of sewing threads and supplies — and the second largest maker of zips and fasteners — has returned to Spain.

In 2016 the multinational, which employs 19,000 people in 60 countries, purchased Gotex, a Barcelona-based company which designs and manufactures the fibres and yarns used in telecommunications, energy, oil and gas sectors.

Beautiful story, Simon, thanks for sharing it. I wonder if Borgonyà has become "twin town" with Paisley.

Simon Bond

• View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: January 27, 2018, 06:17:24 PM »

Beautiful story, Simon, thanks for sharing it. I wonder if Borgonyà has become "twin town" with Paisley.

No Sydney , Paisley is twinned with a town in Denmark and one in Germany . .Borgonyà next though surely. .

Also , with Dundee Divided losing at home to the 'Ton , it looks like the title will be ours. .

Who would have thunk it. . ;D

Simon Bond

• View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: January 28, 2018, 06:53:59 PM »
 In this video , you can see the Saltire on the back of the jersey near the top left .It is like watching a team of Franco Miranda lookalikes all battling their individual weight problems !  Check out their Ultras at the end . . 8)

https://youtu.be/HYXZ_eMdsxE