Author Topic: Whats the last item you bought?  (Read 700685 times)

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
Re: Whats the last item you bought?
« Reply #4110 on: July 29, 2018, 10:05:27 AM »

Martin G

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #4111 on: August 14, 2018, 06:08:46 PM »

Another Etsy purchase. £15. Vintage US H.I.S. plaid jacket looks very decent nick too. £20 postage but total £35 who can complain.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 06:32:32 PM by Martin G »

Simon Bond

• Is it me for a moment . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #4112 on: August 14, 2018, 08:10:15 PM »

Another Etsy purchase. £15. Vintage US H.I.S. plaid jacket looks very decent nick too. £20 postage but total £35 who can complain.

I reckon that will look great on you Martin, pictures a must. .
I wont make any deals with you , I've resigned. .
I wont be pushed, filed , stamped , indexed , briefed , debriefed OR NUMBERED!

Rod

• Style in the Modern World
    • View Profile
« Reply #4113 on: August 15, 2018, 02:01:46 PM »
Places like Flip used to be rammed with this kind of vintage jacket back in the eighties. They’re probably harder to come by now. (I got a wool and silk silver sharkskin jacket - 3 buttons, sack style, five inch vents) from Afflecks Palace in Manchester for 15 quid.

That jacket looks like something Pete Campbell from Mad Men would wear away from the office. Good find. 

Martin G

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #4114 on: August 15, 2018, 02:44:31 PM »
Cheers guys. It's always a bit of a chance with on-line buys but at this price worth a pop. Yep FLIP was an amazing resource back when I was a kid and I bought many a jacket and coat there but I either shagged them out or simply grew out of them. The Long Acre shop was a destination as a teenager when up in the heart of London. Will let you know how it pans out.

The Laird of Enfield

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #4115 on: August 15, 2018, 10:07:45 PM »

Aye ah wis another FLIP shopper back in the 80s.  Musta bought at least half a dozen jaikets at the time.

Unfortunately ah wis a skinny lanky c*nt back then, so none ay them still fitted me by the time we hit the mid 90s.

Woody 64

• Old fogey
    • View Profile
« Reply #4116 on: August 16, 2018, 09:27:55 PM »
Aye Flip was a great shop back then. Unlike most of the vintage shops around nowadays,full of s**te and overpriced.

Rod

• Style in the Modern World
    • View Profile
« Reply #4117 on: August 16, 2018, 11:12:09 PM »
Something weird happened to Flip. I think the one in Covent Garden changed its name to ‘Phlip’ to avoid copyright infringement but there was one in Newcastle up from the station that carried on as ‘Flip’ for several more years. I heard it had moved round the corner to a much smaller upstairs location a few years ago and it’s probably gone dark now.

And then there was ‘Strip’ in the now defunct Kensington Market where I once got a vintage charcoal self stripe suit that I wore for ages. Their stock in trade was taking vintage jackets and chopping them down to make Terence Trent D’Arby style short stewards’ style jackets. This lasted for a minute when that look was in. The vintage clothes market must be a hard sell these days.

Simon Bond

• Is it me for a moment . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #4118 on: August 17, 2018, 06:15:58 AM »
Aye Flip was a great shop back then. Unlike most of the vintage shops around nowadays,full of s**te and overpriced.

Exactly , l often wonder who pays the exorbitant prices for second hand goods that are often quite f**ked . At the time , l used to wonder where Flip used to get all their kit as there was so much of it , I suppose they shipped it all in from the States. .

Not long before their demise , l got a brand new pair of Wayfarers from them that because they were covered in dust the guy sold them to me for £15. l thought I'd a bargain , the best l ever had . .
I wont make any deals with you , I've resigned. .
I wont be pushed, filed , stamped , indexed , briefed , debriefed OR NUMBERED!

Woody 64

• Old fogey
    • View Profile
« Reply #4119 on: August 17, 2018, 08:02:46 AM »
Something weird happened to Flip. I think the one in Covent Garden changed its name to ‘Phlip’ to avoid copyright infringement but there was one in Newcastle up from the station that carried on as ‘Flip’ for several more years. I heard it had moved round the corner to a much smaller upstairs location a few years ago and it’s probably gone dark now.

And then there was ‘Strip’ in the now defunct Kensington Market where I once got a vintage charcoal self stripe suit that I wore for ages. Their stock in trade was taking vintage jackets and chopping them down to make Terence Trent D’Arby style short stewards’ style jackets. This lasted for a minute when that look was in. The vintage clothes market must be a hard sell these days.

If anything the vintage market is bigger than ever I would say. Vintage seems to be cool for the everyday Joe on the street now. Don't think that was the case back when Flip and the like were on it.

Simon,

The Glasgow Flip stores were called Flip @ Metro and Flip of Hollywood as I remember it. Can you remember there was a small one near the old Candleriggs market back in the 80's?