Author Topic: Whats the last item you bought?  (Read 762162 times)

Martin G

• Just joined
    • View Profile
Re: Whats the last item you bought?
« Reply #4180 on: September 29, 2018, 09:45:08 PM »
I know well the jacket Hoffman wore mate. He wears some great clobber. I too have been after one myself. I have a vintage chocolate brown one but really want one that same sort of colour he had. I had this one a few years back but when it arrived was too big. Shifted it on but had my heart set on it. You've done alright though Ian.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 09:47:20 PM by Martin G »

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4181 on: September 30, 2018, 10:26:48 AM »
I know well the jacket Hoffman wore mate. He wears some great clobber. I too have been after one myself. I have a vintage chocolate brown one but really want one that same sort of colour he had. I had this one a few years back but when it arrived was too big. Shifted it on but had my heart set on it. You've done alright though Ian.

This one's lovely too, Martin. I'm a bit jealous of the jackets you sometimes score in eBay and the like, guys, but with my obsessive attention to details like shoulders' fit and the fact I wear an unusual jackets' size myself (I'm between 34 and 36), I'd rather try on the jacket first, which restricts my options, I guess.

Martin G

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #4182 on: September 30, 2018, 01:53:23 PM »
I agree an on-line/ETSY/eBay purchase can often be a hit and miss affair. However I have been fortunate to have only ever had two duff buys, the jacket above being one of them. Never the fault of the seller as I recall in this case me being so in love with the jacket I went into the transaction thinking "It'll be fine" when I really knew it was going to be a bit big but just didn't want to let it go.

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4183 on: September 30, 2018, 04:03:49 PM »
I agree an on-line/ETSY/eBay purchase can often be a hit and miss affair. However I have been fortunate to have only ever had two duff buys, the jacket above being one of them. Never the fault of the seller as I recall in this case me being so in love with the jacket I went into the transaction thinking "It'll be fine" when I really knew it was going to be a bit big but just didn't want to let it go.

I don't blame you, mate, it's a terrific jacket, even the flap on the chest pocket. It's a detail that wouldn't have worked in lots of casual jackets, let alone formal jackets, but somehow I like it here.

You're not alone in that mistake either: more than once I've ordered something I couldn't live without in a wrong size against my better judgement. Last instance, this limited edition Lacoste cardigan inspired in a 60s piece. For an odd reason that had to do with exclusivity (as a shop assistant explained to me, rather confusingly, in my local Lacoste store), their webstore only offered an XXS size. I wasn't that far from getting away with it, but when buttoned the bloody cardie was too snug for me to breath properly, lol!

Martin G

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #4184 on: September 30, 2018, 04:56:08 PM »
That's lovely and exactly the sort of thing you'd be prepared to take a chance on even knowing the odds were againts you.

Soulstar

• View Profile
« Reply #4185 on: October 14, 2018, 07:01:30 PM »

Martin, what jacket size do you take? I think we might be a similar stamp, if so, I might be able to help you out.
Bill.

Martin G

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #4186 on: October 15, 2018, 12:23:02 PM »
Cheers mate. These are the measurements of one I recently got on ETSY that was pretty much spot on for me:

Shoulders: 18"
Chest: 21.5"
Waist: 20.5"
Length, top of collar to bottom of jacket: 30.5"
Sleeve, from the shoulder seam: 23.5"

Soulstar

• View Profile
« Reply #4187 on: October 16, 2018, 07:54:33 PM »
Cheers Martin - have pm'd you.

Lord Mulberry

• Absolute Beginner
    • View Profile
« Reply #4188 on: October 20, 2018, 04:39:29 PM »

Nice, have one not too dissimilar, tend to match it with a plain colour shirt, normally blue, grey flannels or white chinos. might experiment with navy trews
Do it well

BrianB

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #4189 on: October 21, 2018, 03:18:04 PM »
Spending the colder season buying for the warmer, few DNA and some vintage deadstock;

Deadstock textured green short sleeve with Cuban collar

Vintage madras pants with buckleback

DNA shirt

DNA Seersucker jacket for Spring.
Initials B.B.