Author Topic: Whats the last item you bought?  (Read 1410250 times)

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
Re: Whats the last item you bought?
« Reply #5240 on: January 28, 2021, 12:05:00 PM »
First new item of 2021 is a henley / collar-less shirt from Capirari

As sported by Weller, and now me!

Also, wanted to say what great customer service Capirari show - shirt arrived incredibly quickly, excellent packaging, and no post-Brexit charges

Finally, there's a sale on so fill your boots! Or, indeed, your shirts.

They're very nice, Robin, I was tempted myself, but already have too many of those surf henleys. Is yours one of the madras checks or the more recent striped ones?

Rod

• Style in the Modern World
    • View Profile
« Reply #5241 on: January 28, 2021, 09:16:19 PM »
I realise this may be anathema to the forum regulars but how long has anyone gone WITHOUT buying anything?
There used to be a poster on Styleforum who would regularly invite members to join the ‘no purchase club’ for a month at a time. The rules were to buy nothing for a month unless it was an emergency, also to do some mending or maintenance on your existing clothes, and to confess any weaknesses if you gave in and splashed the cash! I joined for several months with very limited success.

My most recent purchase was a Fred Perry cycling top which I’ll show on this board soon. I actually paid for that in December so I’m in the clear even though it was delivered in January. We’re almost at the end of the month and the only other wardrobe-related item I’ve bought is a pair of bootlaces for my Meermin boots as they ridiculously deliver them with too-short laces. I’ve also got over $1300 in my PayPal account from items sold.

Anyone else trying to curtail their spending habits? Corona and lockdown would seem to be a good motivator for a wardrobe re-evaluation but I have to admit to indulging in a bit of retail therapy in response last year. This year it’s different!

PS if anyone is around neck size 15 to 15.5 and chest size 38 I have a ton of shirts, mostly Tyrwhitt, on sale so PM if you’re interested. I realise transatlantic shipping costs may be prohibitive!

BrianB

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #5242 on: January 28, 2021, 09:39:18 PM »
I wouldn't say I was curtailing it , but more at a point in life where I have honed in my style and take more time to save and wait and buy quality vs quantity. I probably buy less than I used to, but definitely buy better than I used to,
Initials B.B.

detroitmike

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #5243 on: January 29, 2021, 03:31:39 AM »
I realise this may be anathema to the forum regulars but how long has anyone gone WITHOUT buying anything?

What day is it?  ::)
(Smedley Cotton short sleeve Henley from the outlet... anytime something in my size and the right color comes up in the Outlet, I'm in)
"War is not the answer, because only love can conquer hate..."

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5244 on: January 29, 2021, 11:07:21 AM »

(Smedley Cotton short sleeve Henley from the outlet... anytime something in my size and the right color comes up in the Outlet, I'm in)

Don't forget the French jacket, Mike!  ;)

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5245 on: January 29, 2021, 11:28:26 AM »
This debate reappears now and then but it's always interesting.

I'm with Brian regarding buying less and quality instead of the impulsive purchases of yore. With age and knowledge, one should be able (there are hopeless cases, of course  ;D) to hone his style, know what suits him better and look for it with a keen eye and patience. I don't mean rejecting outright high street cheap clobber, as now and then there appear worthy things that can work for you. But the impulse buying has given way to a more considered consumption. Last month I've just bought a pair of jeans (and those were heavily discounted), so even with the sales on I'm curtailing my purchases rate. That doesn't mean I won't buy something if it grabs my fancy.

detroitmike

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #5246 on: January 29, 2021, 11:58:48 AM »

Don't forget the French jacket, Mike!  ;)

Oh yeah, see how this happens! The jacket hasn't even been delivered yet.
It may be my imagination, but seems like the sales are coming fast and furious due to "the plague" putting a crimp on everyone's business. I was talking to some people at my old store earlier this wee, and they haven't sold a dress shirt in weeks.
Can't pass up a sale, especially if it's something that would catch my eye under normal circumstances.
But my clothes shopping is offset by my vinyl purchases which have gone down since I can't "browse" the crates and at least one of my favorite places have closed for good...

Rod

• Style in the Modern World
    • View Profile
« Reply #5247 on: January 29, 2021, 02:42:42 PM »
Yeah retail was on a slow death march anyway but it’s on life support now which is sad not just for a business ‘name’ but for all the ordinary folks who now have a whole avenue of occupation all but closed to them.

I was in Atlanta the other day and with some spare time nipped into the Phipps Mall which is very upscale - Tiffany’s, Saks Fifth Avenue etc. - At 2 pm on a Tuesday and it was absolutely deserted, not a soul in the place.

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5248 on: January 29, 2021, 06:53:39 PM »
Sad times indeed, here a few retail chains have collapsed too

detroitmike

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #5249 on: January 29, 2021, 09:19:56 PM »
Yeah retail was on a slow death march anyway but it’s on life support now which is sad not just for a business ‘name’ but for all the ordinary folks who now have a whole avenue of occupation all but closed to them.

I was in Atlanta the other day and with some spare time nipped into the Phipps Mall which is very upscale - Tiffany’s, Saks Fifth Avenue etc. - At 2 pm on a Tuesday and it was absolutely deserted, not a soul in the place.
Sad times indeed, here a few retail chains have collapsed too

Quite a few retailers have gone under this last year... Brooks Brothers was sold to a company that basically manages shopping malls( get ready for their merch. to look like every other mass market mall store) and even though it's "heresy" to speak the name in these here parts, the Detroit branch of the John Varvatos store has shuttered and been replaced with a "golf wear" shop (from R n' R to golf!)
Sign o' the Times....