Author Topic: Whats the last item you bought?  (Read 451634 times)

Rod

• Style in the Modern World
    • View Profile
Re: Whats the last item you bought?
« Reply #3620 on: September 09, 2017, 07:11:08 AM »
On the subject of military macs I had one in the nineties. Somehow I got on the mailing list of a catalogue named 'International Male' which had a few decent items in it but also a lot of avant guarde stuff - pirate shirts and velvet bell bottoms - that was more than slightly aimed at a gay readership. I think it still exists as an online site now. Anyway it was a bit of an anomoly to see such a thing in this catalogue but I had a US Air Force Mac from there that I don't remember the price but it was something ridiculously low like about $30. Mine was the heavier gabardine one not the shinier lightweight one in a useful blue-gray shade but the epaulets were removed so it was clearly genuine surplus. I didn't realize till much later but it went missing when me and my ex broke up so I think she nicked it for her brother. I've been tempted to replace it as I THINK I see them on eBay going cheap, but haven't pulled the trigger cos (a) I'm not sure if it's the same one, and (b) I don't know if I'd get much use out of one. Back when I had my original I had a bit of walking on my commute but these days I'm either working from home or driving to the airport and on the rare occasions I need a bad weather coat I already have that covered. Still, if the right one pops up at the right price ...

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3621 on: September 09, 2017, 10:18:25 AM »
On the subject of military macs I had one in the nineties. Somehow I got on the mailing list of a catalogue named 'International Male' which had a few decent items in it but also a lot of avant guarde stuff - pirate shirts and velvet bell bottoms - that was more than slightly aimed at a gay readership. I think it still exists as an online site now. Anyway it was a bit of an anomoly to see such a thing in this catalogue but I had a US Air Force Mac from there that I don't remember the price but it was something ridiculously low like about $30. Mine was the heavier gabardine one not the shinier lightweight one in a useful blue-gray shade but the epaulets were removed so it was clearly genuine surplus. I didn't realize till much later but it went missing when me and my ex broke up so I think she nicked it for her brother. I've been tempted to replace it as I THINK I see them on eBay going cheap, but haven't pulled the trigger cos (a) I'm not sure if it's the same one, and (b) I don't know if I'd get much use out of one. Back when I had my original I had a bit of walking on my commute but these days I'm either working from home or driving to the airport and on the rare occasions I need a bad weather coat I already have that covered. Still, if the right one pops up at the right price ...

I've got 2 macs -navy blue and sand- and with our dry weather I can't really justify buying a third. But I'm thinking of replacing the navy one, as the sleeves are a tad too short. Anyway, it would have to be a very simple, minimalistic one, far from a trench coat.

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3622 on: September 09, 2017, 10:38:01 AM »

All this talk of seersucker jackets made me pull the trigger on this 1960s Squire Shop jacket on ETSY. Hope it fits. Always a worry measuring things against sizes on-line and jackets you own already but confident I should be good on this.

Seersucker jackets are classic stuff and this one looks spot on, Martin, good luck with the sizing. In fact, it's very similar to my bespoke one, but I ordered rounded lapels' edges to individualize it 8)

The Laird of Enfield

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #3623 on: September 13, 2017, 11:47:03 AM »

Picked up this cotton blazer fur 38 oan the Peter Werth sale section.

Wee brandin' badge comes off n' it's a nice fit.  Fine quality tae wear tae work or generally kickin' aboot.

Martin G

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #3624 on: September 13, 2017, 12:21:39 PM »
Blimey that is pretty decent and a fair enough price. Nice one.

DrGonzo2411

• Dressing fine and making time.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #3625 on: September 13, 2017, 01:00:01 PM »
smashing jacket, Laird, you didn't happen to notice if they had any big boy sizes?
36/33 waist/leg, 46 chest, 10 shoe/boot

Red Steve

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #3626 on: September 13, 2017, 01:17:05 PM »
smashing jacket, Laird, you didn't happen to notice if they had any big boy sizes?

looks like you could be in luck https://www.peterwerth.co.uk/clothing/blazers/stoker-dogtooth-cotton-workwear-blazer-charcoal-p1q16008-char.html

DrGonzo2411

• Dressing fine and making time.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #3627 on: September 13, 2017, 03:13:43 PM »
36/33 waist/leg, 46 chest, 10 shoe/boot

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3628 on: September 13, 2017, 04:21:01 PM »
Nice-looking jacket, but why do they state it's a 2 buttons'? It looks a 3 buttons' to me (and the better for it!)

The Laird of Enfield

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #3629 on: September 13, 2017, 04:45:54 PM »

Ah bought it in a 46 Doc - tae cover ma imposin' centre half's frame.

;)

Definitely a three button n' comes in a navy striped version n'aw.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 04:49:45 PM by The Laird of Enfield »