Author Topic: Whats the last item you bought?  (Read 625604 times)

The Laird of Enfield

• Just joined
    • View Profile
Re: Whats the last item you bought?
« Reply #3750 on: January 10, 2018, 08:16:40 PM »
Nice one mate. Can't fault that. Obviously not something as a 15 year old Mod in 1979 I'd have been seen dead in. Of course back then if it didn't have a Target on it or a Laurel Wreath you'd not give it the time of day. However now as a bloke in my 50s with an eye for anything age appropriate and a little more early 60s US Ivy style than 'Swinging Carnaby St '66' I am very into this sort of look. Great price too mate.

Live and learn, Martin. Age-appropriate clothing is a topic that recurs often here, and with good reason, as it points out at the meaning of "mod" well into the 21st century.

Being of your vintage myself, I think we 50+ gents may still in fact dress in style without sacrificing our tastes: on the contrary, early-to-mid-60s modernist clobber lends itself especially well to middle aged blokes like us (you can't say the same about greaser, punk or even skinhead gear...), that is, if we manage to avoid the obvious trappings of "comedy mod" and the like.

I don't like to pontificate, tho', so strictly speaking from my point of view, with the passing of time I feel increasingly inclined to more subtle, understated outfits that in most cases have more to do with Ivy League (or more to the point, timeless American/continental style) than pop-art. I still like the 1965-67 mod-freakbeat style, but it's not for me anymore.

Very nice looking cardi' . I have a couple of cardi's but on a personal level I don't do shawl collars , mi hermano . I'm not quite that old yet and I get enough stick when i wear my sheepskin coat like this one. .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCP2jlfL9z8

Archie ModPherson?

Simon Bond

• Is it me for a moment . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #3751 on: January 10, 2018, 08:56:10 PM »
Nice one mate. Can't fault that. Obviously not something as a 15 year old Mod in 1979 I'd have been seen dead in. Of course back then if it didn't have a Target on it or a Laurel Wreath you'd not give it the time of day. However now as a bloke in my 50s with an eye for anything age appropriate and a little more early 60s US Ivy style than 'Swinging Carnaby St '66' I am very into this sort of look. Great price too mate.

Live and learn, Martin. Age-appropriate clothing is a topic that recurs often here, and with good reason, as it points out at the meaning of "mod" well into the 21st century.

Being of your vintage myself, I think we 50+ gents may still in fact dress in style without sacrificing our tastes: on the contrary, early-to-mid-60s modernist clobber lends itself especially well to middle aged blokes like us (you can't say the same about greaser, punk or even skinhead gear...), that is, if we manage to avoid the obvious trappings of "comedy mod" and the like.

I don't like to pontificate, tho', so strictly speaking from my point of view, with the passing of time I feel increasingly inclined to more subtle, understated outfits that in most cases have more to do with Ivy League (or more to the point, timeless American/continental style) than pop-art. I still like the 1965-67 mod-freakbeat style, but it's not for me anymore.

Very nice looking cardi' . I have a couple of cardi's but on a personal level I don't do shawl collars , mi hermano . I'm not quite that old yet and I get enough stick when i wear my sheepskin coat like this one. .

Archie ModPherson?

Arthur Modford
I wont make any deals with you , I've resigned. .
I wont be pushed, filed , stamped , indexed , briefed , debriefed OR NUMBERED!

Simon Bond

• View Profile
« Reply #3752 on: January 10, 2018, 10:07:30 PM »

Archie ModPherson?

Of course , only people of a certain agae would be able to make that association. . ;D

Rod

• Style in the Modern World
    • View Profile
« Reply #3753 on: January 10, 2018, 10:35:11 PM »
Or south of the border, Bill McGarry.
The lads who do Viz admitted that the manager of Fulchester Rovers with his wispy hair and massive sheepy was based on BM.

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3754 on: January 11, 2018, 10:52:45 AM »

Well, if it's good enough for your namesake and Stevie, then it's good enough for me.

Martin G

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #3755 on: January 11, 2018, 01:22:23 PM »
A decent couple of examples there GS. McQueen being an obvious and Daniel Craig clearly does have something of that McQueen style about him as Bond and in real life it seems. As discussed time and again I think I'd rather look at least half like McQueen than I would Weller in the WHEN YOU'RE YOUNG video (Or Weller as he looks nowadays for that matter if I am honest) If a shawl collar 'cardi' goes halfway toward achieving that then I'm on it.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 01:24:02 PM by Martin G »

Ematt

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #3756 on: January 11, 2018, 03:35:50 PM »
For the most part i`ve never rated Wellers` clobber after The Style Council, but i have to say from maybe 2014 on, he`s turned things around in my opinion.

Simon Bond

• View Profile
« Reply #3757 on: January 11, 2018, 05:24:08 PM »

Well, if it's good enough for your namesake and Stevie, then it's good enough for me.

Nice one Sydney. My dad used to wear them when he was elderly , maybe that that is what puts me aff them. .

Woody 64

• Old fogey
    • View Profile
« Reply #3758 on: January 11, 2018, 09:24:43 PM »
I better not wear mine to Troon Rally in May in case you don't talk to me....then again  :) :P

Mutley

• View Profile
« Reply #3759 on: January 11, 2018, 09:27:05 PM »
I got a bit trigger happy today and ordered these from Claudio:

« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 09:34:51 PM by Mutley »
If you ooze masculinity, like some of us do, you have no reason to fear pink.