Author Topic: Whats the last item you bought?  (Read 963178 times)

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
Re: Whats the last item you bought?
« Reply #4670 on: March 26, 2020, 05:52:00 PM »

Nice one Sydney . Looks like a good purchase . Personally , l just have too many of them(long sleeve polos with decent collars) at the moment ;D

One can't have too many long sleeved polos, mr. Bond! And decent sized collars on them are rare as hen's teeth now, except if you go the niche brand route, like DNA or Connection, which are expensive, or AGC and the budget brands (Adaptor, Merc, Madcap and the like), which are so commonplace you'd be afraid to wear them at a do or gig, for fear of bumping into another bloke wearing the same top.

I except our beloved sponsor's ones, which we all know are just perfect  8)

pie and mash

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #4671 on: March 27, 2020, 12:01:10 AM »
That's part of the "oversized" garments trend of last years. Look at the high street brands' webstores: skinny, undernourished models wearing shirts and trousers that look like tents on them. Slightly more bearable than the "muscle fit" look

Reminds me of the 80's, oversized shoulders and boxy fit jackets and trousers... David Byrne suits!

You have a point, Mike, the 80s were a sartorial nightmare, excepting the revivalists youngsters, of course  8)

What about the Casuals Rafa ?

You have a point, Johnny. Not my style, that's for sure, but somewhat a return to form.
Not sportsware for sure , but the 70/80s Gabbicis , the Vneck jumpers ( often Argyle ) with a polo /roll neck under , the straight slacks ,cords ,jeans , Apollo boots ( desert boots ) loafers ( Gucci )  Burberry /Aquascutum macs /trenchs ,even duffles .Casual and Mod were interlinked in my opinion , the fashion especially for us very young Mods in London rolled right into Casual seamlessly .
I`m aware the older lot didnt flow into Casual ,in the way we did  , ( and there was a bit of agg) , but Mod to Casual in the 80s was a natural progression for us .

detroitmike

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #4672 on: March 27, 2020, 12:32:12 AM »
Did pickup this from the Art Gallery sale:
"War is not the answer, because only love can conquer hate..."

Rod

• Style in the Modern World
    • View Profile
« Reply #4673 on: March 27, 2020, 01:31:53 AM »
That's part of the "oversized" garments trend of last years. Look at the high street brands' webstores: skinny, undernourished models wearing shirts and trousers that look like tents on them. Slightly more bearable than the "muscle fit" look

Reminds me of the 80's, oversized shoulders and boxy fit jackets and trousers... David Byrne suits!

You have a point, Mike, the 80s were a sartorial nightmare, excepting the revivalists youngsters, of course  8)

What about the Casuals Rafa ?

You have a point, Johnny. Not my style, that's for sure, but somewhat a return to form.
Not sportsware for sure , but the 70/80s Gabbicis , the Vneck jumpers ( often Argyle ) with a polo /roll neck under , the straight slacks ,cords ,jeans , Apollo boots ( desert boots ) loafers ( Gucci )  Burberry /Aquascutum macs /trenchs ,even duffles .Casual and Mod were interlinked in my opinion , the fashion especially for us very young Mods in London rolled right into Casual seamlessly .
I`m aware the older lot didnt flow into Casual ,in the way we did  , ( and there was a bit of agg) , but Mod to Casual in the 80s was a natural progression for us .

Interesting you note the generational Perspective there - I donít know a single one of the lads I hung with who went from Mod to casual but I can see how those a couple of years younger might have rolled into it. There was pro lies also a regional influence in some places that didnít exist elsewhere.

Maybe it was similar in the second half of the sixties? Some got married and had to pay for mortgage and nappies so had no time or money for nightclubbing and suits. Some couldnít be well dressed AND run a souped up scoot so concentrated on the scoots. Some grew their hair and tashes and got loud and frilly shorts and beads and weed, and maybe the younger set got into the football and more utilitarian skin look.

Simon Bond

• Is it me for a moment . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #4674 on: March 27, 2020, 09:05:22 AM »

Nice one Sydney . Looks like a good purchase . Personally , l just have too many of them(long sleeve polos with decent collars) at the moment ;D

One can't have too many long sleeved polos, mr. Bond! And decent sized collars on them are rare as hen's teeth now, except if you go the niche brand route, like DNA or Connection, which are expensive, or AGC and the budget brands (Adaptor, Merc, Madcap and the like), which are so commonplace you'd be afraid to wear them at a do or gig, for fear of bumping into another bloke wearing the same top.

I except our beloved sponsor's ones, which we all know are just perfect  8)

About half my long sleeve polo's are merino numbers from TKMAXX after some hard trawling.  Mostly Italian companies or British and all under £35.  However,  in this climate l don't wear them that often .
In the current mass hysteria l am favouring turtle necks to keep my neck and breathing passages warm .
I wont make any deals with you , I've resigned. .
I wont be pushed, filed , stamped , indexed , briefed , debriefed OR NUMBERED!

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4675 on: March 27, 2020, 10:30:52 AM »
Well done, my friend, health first

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4676 on: March 27, 2020, 10:36:57 AM »
Did pickup this from the Art Gallery sale:

Nice, Mike, not miles away from mine, and an instance of what I was saying: AGC get the collar right, but everybody of our ilk restores to them and similar brands by default (Uniqlo among them, not denying it). Not that it means a problem in our case, as we're isolated from "the scene", no chance of going to a club and meeting 4 lads wearing our same polo!

detroitmike

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #4677 on: March 27, 2020, 11:52:34 AM »

Nice, Mike, not miles away from mine, and an instance of what I was saying: AGC get the collar right, but everybody of our ilk restores to them and similar brands by default (Uniqlo among them, not denying it). Not that it means a problem in our case, as we're isolated from "the scene", no chance of going to a club and meeting 4 lads wearing our same polo!

I went back and forth on the Uniqlo ones, but wasn't crazy about the color choices, and this one is on sale, too .
And you're right, I'm wondering why I'm still buying when I don't know where or when I'll get to wear it!
"War is not the answer, because only love can conquer hate..."

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4678 on: March 27, 2020, 05:51:52 PM »

I went back and forth on the Uniqlo ones, but wasn't crazy about the color choices, and this one is on sale, too .
And you're right, I'm wondering why I'm still buying when I don't know where or when I'll get to wear it!

Courage, Mike, this nightmare will soon be over, or so I hope

Simon Bond

• Is it me for a moment . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #4679 on: March 27, 2020, 06:06:15 PM »

Courage, Mike, this nightmare will soon be over, or so I hope

You are right , Sydney , this will all blow over but it will be different after this . Some seem to think there is a compulsory inocculation on it's way . . :o
I wont make any deals with you , I've resigned. .
I wont be pushed, filed , stamped , indexed , briefed , debriefed OR NUMBERED!