Author Topic: Whats the last item you bought?  (Read 1206878 times)

dazlcfc

• Just joined
    • View Profile
Re: Whats the last item you bought?
« Reply #5160 on: October 17, 2020, 03:27:03 PM »
Tsk, tsk, condescension is a funny thing; to be entitled to it (if someone really is) you need to be smarter than your victim, but usually it's just the opposite.

Interesting points, Rod. Nowadays, as Matt pointed out, I find the "mod" tag restricting, just like every tag really, but the 60s mod scene has been hugely influential in shaping my aesthetic preferences, and the revival mod scene triggers my nostalgia so I have a soft spot for both. I mean, if someone calls me a mod (or a trad or a retro), well, it's OK by me. Not a dirty work to me, so to speak.

Regarding mod as a forward-looking movement: like many well-sounding, empty statements ("mods were amphetamine and Jean Paul Sartre" comes to mind), there lies a huge paradox behind it: if you sever the ties of the mod scene with the 60s, the term becomes meaningless, "mod" can be everything that's up to date.

No surprise GS has to have a dig maybe I should dig back as he can't help himself and the irony of you accusing of condescension..lol 

Forward moving isn't an empty statement just because it touched a nerve with you and you questioning whether your a mod at all means it very much isn't empty.

Fine if you want to sever ties with it but again this is a mod forum.

Defending the 60's look is like shooting fish in a barrel it's preaching to the converted..

No surprise you take the easy option.  Yawn!!!!!

Not stuck in the 60's

detroitmike

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #5161 on: October 17, 2020, 03:35:31 PM »
Tsk, tsk, condescension is a funny thing; to be entitled to it (if someone really is) you need to be smarter than your victim, but usually it's just the opposite.

Interesting points, Rod. Nowadays, as Matt pointed out, I find the "mod" tag restricting, just like every tag really, but the 60s mod scene has been hugely influential in shaping my aesthetic preferences, and the revival mod scene triggers my nostalgia so I have a soft spot for both. I mean, if someone calls me a mod (or a trad or a retro), well, it's OK by me. Not a dirty work to me, so to speak.

Regarding mod as a forward-looking movement: like many well-sounding, empty statements ("mods were amphetamine and Jean Paul Sartre" comes to mind), there lies a huge paradox behind it: if you sever the ties of the mod scene with the 60s, the term becomes meaningless, "mod" can be everything that's up to date.

No surprise GS has to have a dig maybe I should dig back as he can't help himself and the irony of you accusing of condescension..lol 

Forward moving isn't an empty statement just because it touched a nerve with you and you questioning whether your a mod at all means it very much isn't empty.

Defending the 60's look is like shooting fish in a barrel it's preaching to the converted..

Maybe it would help your cause to actually post once in a while, music you're listening to, or some thing you would wear.
Instead of just sniping from the side lines about others?
Just a thought.
"War is not the answer, because only love can conquer hate..."

dazlcfc

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #5162 on: October 17, 2020, 03:38:30 PM »

Maybe it would help your cause to actually post once in a while, music you're listening to, or some thing you would wear.
Just a thought.

I couldn't care less what others thought of me, especially from those who aren't even mods.  He can take swipes at me all he likes but I won't just sit back and take it.
Not stuck in the 60's

detroitmike

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #5163 on: October 17, 2020, 03:47:27 PM »

Just a thought.

I couldn't care less what others thought of me, especially from those who aren't even mods.  He can take swipes at me all he likes but I won't just sit back and take it.

Wasn't speaking for anyone other than myself, and "noted".

Ematt

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #5164 on: October 17, 2020, 04:48:34 PM »
Come on Daz, post a few pics to show us all your forward thinking aesthetic. I have this same conversation with one of my mates from time to time who tells me about his `forward thinking`, yet he is wearing the same kind of gear as i am, DNA, John Simons, Smedley, Art Gallery etc  I also buy new music regularly, but that does`nt count as `forward thinking`in my book.

BrianB

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #5165 on: October 20, 2020, 06:57:51 PM »

Just got this from Lisa Stanley. Found this lilac fabric and was able to send to her with a few requests....goes great with some some of my suits. Very happy with it
Initials B.B.

detroitmike

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #5166 on: October 20, 2020, 10:24:54 PM »

Just got this from Lisa Stanley. Found this lilac fabric and was able to send to her with a few requests....goes great with some some of my suits. Very happy with it
Nice shirt,BB. Like the idea of a BD w/French cuffs, I have a few of those, myself.

Rod

• Style in the Modern World
    • View Profile
« Reply #5167 on: October 21, 2020, 03:02:59 AM »
It might just be the way the shirt is folded/rumpled but it looks like there’s zero tie space there for a shirt which I assume was made with tie-wearing in mind.
I had a plain white shirt made bespoke for my wedding, with the idea that it could be used again for formal functions. I was happy enough with the result considering it was my first ever full bespoke commission (readers of my blog will know that the same tailor made a complete mess of my wedding suit!) but my one regret was that I didn’t specify more tie space. I wasn’t fully aware of the terminology at the time but if I could roll back the clock ... but then as they say back home, if my auntie had a knob she’d be my uncle!

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5168 on: October 21, 2020, 11:26:12 AM »
Shirt looks nice, and I like that lilac shade, but BDs with French cuffs are a no-no for me, more so as I never wear BDs with a tie

dazlcfc

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #5169 on: October 22, 2020, 04:20:55 PM »
I agree with GS... ;)

Never really liked button down with ties....I always thought BD with tie was an American thing but it's probably common all over the world now.
Not stuck in the 60's