Author Topic: Mojo June 2013 Rod The Mod article  (Read 1807 times)

DIMPLES

• Are you ready for a brand new dance?
    • View Profile
Mojo June 2013 Rod The Mod article
« on: April 29, 2013, 05:44:34 AM »
Anybody seen it already? is it worth purchasing?
Are you ready for a brand new dance?

Dogtooth

• Just joined
    • View Profile
Re: Mojo June 2013 Rod The Mod article
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 07:08:12 PM »
Nah - only buy it if the cd's half decent.
Took a garner at the article in Morrisons - seen all the photos before.
There was something about Kim Deal & the Breeders which looked interesting (but not enough to part with a fiver)

Monkey

• Welcome to the Modculture forum
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Picks
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 08:29:34 PM »
Just read it. Enjoyed it but the front cover of "Rod The Mod" is a bit misleading.

There's not much about that period although there is a small interview with Brian Auger about the Steampacket days which has a couple of interesting parts: how people started turning up to gigs looking like Rod; and that Rod once called Julie Driscoll "Fat Legs" and she responded by smashing a pint glass over his feet.

That's about it. Nothing much more of "Modculture" interest in the rest of the issue.
The same few words in a different order can be found at http://www.monkeypicks.co.uk Latest Posts: The Redskins, Wireless Show, The Action's Rolled Gold by Sidewalk Society reviewed.

Dave E

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 08:57:22 AM »
I was intrigued to see a review of The Moving Sidewalks recent gig in New York to coincide with the re-issue of their output on a new cd. Apparently they are recording new material too and maybe playing a few more gigs.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 12:34:26 PM by Dave E »

DenisW

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2013, 09:11:17 AM »
Good four star review of James Taylor Quartet's new Album in this issue.

DJ Penny Lane

• Host of Mod radio show, Punks in Parkas
    • View Profile
    • Punks in Parkas
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2013, 06:47:13 PM »
Maybe it's just Mojo's attempt to jump on the Mod bandwagon as it seems every newspaper/magazine/periodical/online mag, etc these days had something with 'Mod' in the title... But I haven't checked it out myself.. will borrow my friends once he's done.
Host of Punks in Parkas, a weekly Mod radio show broadcasting live from Winnipeg. Podcast available at www.punksinparkas.Podomatic.com and iTunes

southlondongent

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2013, 07:10:06 PM »
Maybe it's just Mojo's attempt to jump on the Mod bandwagon as it seems every newspaper/magazine/periodical/online mag, etc these days had something with 'Mod' in the title... But I haven't checked it out myself.. will borrow my friends once he's done.

To be fair Mojo has for a long time had 'Mod-themed' CDs, some worked better than others (Heavy Mod anyone?).  I haven't bought an issue for a fair while but Lois Wilson's features were/are always worth reading IMO.