Author Topic: Richard Weight Book Review  (Read 12245 times)

Jonny

• Just joined
    • View Profile
    • Jonny Monk Photography
Re: Richard Weight Book Review
« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2013, 04:26:59 PM »
Throughout reading, the words 'going off' and 'tangent' came to mind constantly. Probably 25% of it is about Mod whereas the rest is needless deviation about what mod isn't.

DJ Penny Lane

• Host of Mod radio show, Punks in Parkas
    • View Profile
    • Punks in Parkas
« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2013, 01:50:31 PM »
My copy arrived last week and I'm just getting through it now. The start of the book, which is where I am right now, is not horrible. But this is history - stuff that has been reiterated over and over again anyway. I'm interested to see what I think when I get further into it. To be honest, when starting out in the Mod scene, I didn't do any reading on the subculture. So I'm playing catch up.
Host of Punks in Parkas, a weekly Mod radio show broadcasting live from Winnipeg. Podcast available at www.punksinparkas.Podomatic.com and iTunes

Smiler

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2013, 10:07:46 PM »
My copy arrived last week and I'm just getting through it now. The start of the book, which is where I am right now, is not horrible. But this is history - stuff that has been reiterated over and over again anyway. I'm interested to see what I think when I get further into it. To be honest, when starting out in the Mod scene, I didn't do any reading on the subculture. So I'm playing catch up.

That does not fit in with not having read Richard Barnes Mods! Book though?

DJ Penny Lane

• Host of Mod radio show, Punks in Parkas
    • View Profile
    • Punks in Parkas
« Reply #43 on: May 06, 2013, 04:04:01 AM »

That does not fit in with not having read Richard Barnes Mods! Book though?

Never read Mods By Barnes until recently, to be honest. I wasn't much of a reader when I got in the scene due to being in University - English major. TONS of reading, no time for reading for fun.. Then once I got out of University, I started doing research for a book I have been flirting with for way to long (a book looking at the female influence in Mod culture). So I avoided most of these books until the last five or so years.

On the other hand, interested to hear your appearance on the Modcast - how did it go?
Host of Punks in Parkas, a weekly Mod radio show broadcasting live from Winnipeg. Podcast available at www.punksinparkas.Podomatic.com and iTunes