Author Topic: The What Are You Wearing Thread  (Read 1315645 times)

BrianB

• Just joined
    • View Profile
Re: The What Are You Wearing Thread
« Reply #6170 on: June 12, 2019, 03:55:33 PM »
Been on the fence with the pants as well, however I have really being eyeing seersucker shorts lately
Initials B.B.

Martin G

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #6171 on: June 12, 2019, 04:07:41 PM »
Great jacket mate. Spot on as far as I'm concerned. Love it. I have a couple of jackets and recently a pair of shorts too but full on trousers like yourself am on the fence.

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6172 on: June 12, 2019, 04:11:12 PM »
Been on the fence with the pants as well, however I have really being eyeing seersucker shorts lately

I began with shorts and ended up with the lot  ;D (BTW, nice jacket, Brian) I've threatened to wear my jacket/trousers combo as a suit, but honestly I don't think that's going to happen in the near future, have to agree with Mike, they work better as separates. The trousers DO look the part with white/sand/cream or navy shirts/knits, for instance. Rod's right re. ironing them, that's why it's a good thing they're not so prone to wrinkles as linen.

Simon Bond

• Is it me for a moment . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #6173 on: June 14, 2019, 12:36:12 PM »
I have 3 Seersucker jackets, but never had interest in the trousers. I guess wearing the trousers alone wouldn't be a bad look for some,  but wearing a entire suit looks too "Gatsby" to me...
I have seen seersucker suits , of the material of Brians jacket, worn well but I have only seen it done in SFO.  I don't know about the Gatsby thing but I think it looks better on a younger dude. 

The first time I saw a seersucker suit being worn, l was only a young Mod myself and thought it looked great . I went around for the rest of the day with the Peter Meaden line in my head - Wear ivy league jackets , wild buckskin shoes. .  I have never seen a seersucker suit for sale in these more temperate zones . .
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 12:38:23 PM by Simon Bond »
I wont make any deals with you , I've resigned. .
I wont be pushed, filed , stamped , indexed , briefed , debriefed OR NUMBERED!

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6174 on: June 14, 2019, 03:32:25 PM »
I have 3 Seersucker jackets, but never had interest in the trousers. I guess wearing the trousers alone wouldn't be a bad look for some,  but wearing a entire suit looks too "Gatsby" to me...
I have seen seersucker suits , of the material of Brians jacket, worn well but I have only seen it done in SFO.  I don't know about the Gatsby thing but I think it looks better on a younger dude. 

The first time I saw a seersucker suit being worn, l was only a young Mod myself and thought it looked great . I went around for the rest of the day with the Peter Meaden line in my head - Wear ivy league jackets , wild buckskin shoes. .  I have never seen a seersucker suit for sale in these more temperate zones . .

I don't think they're difficult to come by in the sales of USA big brands like Brooks Brothers or Ralph Lauren, they usually sell seersucker suits every year; in USA -especially the southern states- the fabric is still popular, in fact there's a National Seersucker Day there! But I agree regarding younger chaps getting the most of those suits.

Simon Bond

• View Profile
« Reply #6175 on: June 14, 2019, 06:02:03 PM »

I don't think they're difficult to come by in the sales of USA big brands like Brooks Brothers or Ralph Lauren, they usually sell seersucker suits every year; in USA -especially the southern states- the fabric is still popular, in fact there's a National Seersucker Day there! But I agree regarding younger chaps getting the most of those suits.
Exactly,  very much an American thing from my experience, and west coast American at that. ..
I wouldn't mind one but I suspect l'd rarely wear and I'm probably a wee bit old for one now but Woody was in a rather smart seersucker,  jaiket just about a month ago , looked very dapper . .

Rod

• Style in the Modern World
    • View Profile
« Reply #6176 on: June 15, 2019, 12:49:18 AM »
Today is National Seersucker day!
I have two pairs of seersucker strides, one odd jacket, one pair of shorts and a (rarely worn) suit all in blue-grey and white stripes. Also the navy tonal blazer I posted up recently.

Itís not really a west Coast thing itís a southern states / Ivy / trad thing. Still seen very rarely over here. And on older blokes not young men.

I remember years ago after some time in a biz caz working environment, around the time of my rededication to our look I was in Houston airport and saw a lad around 35-40 in what I thought was a light blue suit but as he walked closer I realised it was Seersucker plus he was carrying a Panama hat. I thought he looked great and certainly stood out among the pale blue shirt and khaki stride wearing drones. I was suited up too and we gave each other the nod of recognition!

Simon Bond

• View Profile
« Reply #6177 on: June 15, 2019, 12:09:34 PM »
Today is National Seersucker day!
I have two pairs of seersucker strides, one odd jacket, one pair of shorts and a (rarely worn) suit all in blue-grey and white stripes. Also the navy tonal blazer I posted up recently.

Itís not really a west Coast thing itís a southern states / Ivy / trad thing. Still seen very rarely over here. And on older blokes not young men.

I suppose , we all have our own opinions . .

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6178 on: June 15, 2019, 03:36:23 PM »
I reckon Rod is right in this, Simon, the southern connection is mentioned in some articles about seersucker I've read so far, and I think its heyday as a suit/jackets fabric were the 50s, but I'm sure it was introduced there much earlier

Simon Bond

• View Profile
« Reply #6179 on: June 15, 2019, 06:08:03 PM »
I reckon Rod is right in this, Simon, the southern connection is mentioned in some articles about seersucker I've read so far, and I think its heyday as a suit/jackets fabric were the 50s, but I'm sure it was introduced there much earlier

I never said Rodders was wrong ,  l only said we al have our own opinions.  .