Author Topic: I'd Wear That...  (Read 480896 times)

DrGonzo2411

• Dressing fine and making time.....
    • View Profile
Re: I'd Wear That...
« Reply #1130 on: September 01, 2016, 07:52:34 AM »
... And for those non-believers in the sartorial excellence of the Thunderbirds here's something to think about...

http://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/article/thunderbirds-tv-show-menswear-style

That first picture, sidney!! Aside from a couple of dodgy neckwear choices, I'd wear everything the lads are sporting. Great attention to detail from Anderson, loving the puppets' footwear. Great stuff!  8)
36/33 waist/leg, 46 chest, 10 shoe/boot

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: September 01, 2016, 10:30:32 AM »
Spot on Greenstreet! Exactly the sort of image I'd have used to illustrate the styling. All jokes aside though the early 1960s Gerry Anderson puppet shows really did have a 'Mod' style to much of what the puppets wore as well as other aspects. All of which will be discussed in depth in the new Tony Beesley book MOJO TALKING!

http://modernistsociety.blogspot.co.uk/2016/04/talking-under-influence-of-mod.html

That's Part 2 of Sawdust Caesars, isn't it? Do you know when will it be published, Martin?

Martin G

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: September 01, 2016, 12:29:09 PM »
Hi mate yes it is indeed a sort of 'SAWDUST' Volume II. I am simply a contributor to a number of chapters and Tony himself is the man in the know but I believe perhaps some time into 2017 is the date he is looking at. I was chuffed to be asked to get involved and hope my contribution will give a bit of a different spin on things beyond stories of fights with rockers/Skins/casuals, the cut of the trousers you wore in 59,65 or 79 and how good/bad/ indifferent your particular scooter was or is. Not that there is anything wrong at all with those type of stories and the book will be jammed with them. Indeed I welcome them and enjoy hearing that stuff but Tony's aim with this next volume is to go beyond the 'norm' drawing into observation the influence on and from Modernism in relation to film, telly, literature, design and even family life in general. Great to see you guys appreciation of this stuff too and how there is a definite reflection of what people were wearing on the streets to how those little puppet characters were dressed on the shows. Good to know the whole 1960s thing is embraced and not just the scooters and clobber. Brilliant! Love The Hood shot too. Agreed I see many a guy at gigs and scooter shows not unlike him!
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 12:38:10 PM by Martin G »

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: September 01, 2016, 04:07:30 PM »
It sounds we're in for a treat then. In fact, if Tony gets it right (not an easy task), this multidisciplinary approach to Modernism can be really interesting to 60s nuts like us.

IMO, somehow, after two "definitive" opus as Sawdust Caesars and especially Smiler's The new religion, it seems hard to find a fresh take on the "mod" topic.

Another one for my 2017 list!

Martin G

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: September 01, 2016, 04:22:46 PM »
Yes mate! Tony was flooded with similar stories and variations on a theme and felt they were stories that needed to be heard. New photos to be seen too from 1960s, '70s and onwards too. However he was determined not to simply publish 'more of the same' despite how great some of these stories are so put feelers out to guys with a specific interest in certain aspects of 1960s/Modernist culture to provide a perhaps different slant on things. I hope you enjoy it mate. If I were not involved it would still be on my 'To Buy' list for next year too.

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: September 06, 2016, 04:47:23 PM »
Well, maybe I wouldn't wear this, as I don't usually do headwear, but maybe some gents here will appreciate these couple new hats from M&S, as they certainly nail the early 60s look and are well priced:

First a trilby with narrow brim

And the equally classic pork pie hat:

Neil Lee

• Clothes, Football, Scooters & Music in that order.
    • View Profile
    • Gettin' To The Point
« Reply #1136 on: September 06, 2016, 08:09:31 PM »
Well, maybe I wouldn't wear this, as I don't usually do headwear, but maybe some gents here will appreciate these couple new hats from M&S, as they certainly nail the early 60s look and are well priced:

First a trilby with narrow brim

And the equally classic pork pie hat:

They are very nice. Fancied a pork pie hat for some time
The New Unsociable’s Present

“Gettin’ To The Point”

https://www.facebook.com/events/399848387194193/

Woody 64

• Old fogey
    • View Profile
« Reply #1137 on: September 06, 2016, 09:09:23 PM »
https://www.newyorkhatco.com/product/251

I've got one similar to this only in a camel colour.

Wear hats/caps a lot now.

Simon Bond

• Is it me for a moment . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: September 06, 2016, 09:28:28 PM »
The Jaxton hats mention by Steve a couple of months ago are good value . .
I wont make any deals with you , I've resigned. .
I wont be pushed, filed , stamped , indexed , briefed , debriefed OR NUMBERED!

The Laird of Enfield

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: September 07, 2016, 12:52:36 AM »
Goorin Brothers hats ur a good option n'aw.