Author Topic: I'd Wear That...  (Read 337586 times)

The Laird of Enfield

• Just joined
    • View Profile
Re: I'd Wear That...
« Reply #1760 on: February 15, 2018, 02:58:45 PM »

By far the worst must be the fat auld blokes at northern soul do's that insist oan wearin' a semmit teamed up wi' oxford bag troosers, (usually at half mast).

Mibbe in thir ain heids they ur still the supple king ay the dance floor, but in reality........

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1761 on: February 15, 2018, 03:15:10 PM »
Guys yeah I'd agree with all of you. Certainly seems blokes who follow any style who are of our kind of age (I'm guessing 40-60 year olds) seem intent on hanging on to a bit of their youth and elements of what they were into as youngsters perhaps more so than similarly aged guys did when we were teenagers. The well named 'Comedy Mod' that I think Mike refers too are simply poorly dressed blokes with little idea. You see that at football or amongst other groups. I'm sure there are Comedy Teds, Comedy Casuals and certainly seen a few Comedy Skins in my time. As long as they mean no harm I'm fine with them but as we have discussed so many times I can't grasp how they don't have the capacity to see what is appropriate to their shape and age like others seem able to. I guess it is horses for courses and like I say as long as they don't bother me I'm fine.

To me, the key is the approach to age, Martin. There's nothing negative "per se" in trying to hold on to things that influenced us (even changed our lives) when we were young. But then you've got to have enough common sense and instinct to adapt those elements to your age; well, that's what maturing is about, after all.

That said, I think that the so-called elder "comedy mods" either lack the common sense to mature with dignity or simply enjoy putting on a fancy dress to have weekend fun; in the later case, it's obvious they don't share our passion for modernism, but as long as they're harmless I agree with you, they can go and have their fun. 

Martin G

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #1762 on: February 15, 2018, 04:01:59 PM »
Yep agreed all the way on all comments fellas. Lovely to see the voice of Paul McCartney in YELLOW SUBMARINE too BTW

Simon Bond

• Is it me for a moment . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #1763 on: February 15, 2018, 06:44:13 PM »
I'd agree and I think fellas like us are the cause of it! When I was a kid blokes over say 40 were like proper 'grown up men' and anyone over 50 was ' an old geezer' both groups potential pipe smokers and cardigan wearers.  However now blokes of those sort of age groups are still on scooters, going to gigs and getting beered up, fighting at football matches, trying to wear skinny jeans or tracksuits, Snap Chatting, Facebooking and all the rest of the stuff that we see across our nation. When I was a kid in the 60s and 70s we would likely have been dozing in an armchair, pottering around in the garden or bird-watching or something. Things have changed for sure.

Indeed , Martin . Sounds fairly accurate .

Many blokes our age want to remain teenagers till their bodies give out. From a sociological point of view, in the last 60 years adolescence has taken centre stage as never before in mankind history, and our "baby boomers" generation has been totally inmersed in the myths of youth pop culture. Who can blame us for not wishing to grow up? As Pete Brown wisely put it: "Things May Come And Things May Go, But The Art School Dance Goes On Forever".

There's a difference from dressing "youthful", and dressing like you're still a "youth",... I see those photos of scooter rallies, with people my age that look like they've raided the prop room of "Quadrophenia".... not a good look, IMO.
It's the guys you see at gigs with baggy jeans , some awful trainers , a tee-shirt and then topped off with some cheap looking M-51 knock off that is festooned in patches to commemorate bands from another era . A guy I saw recently also had a pork pie hat which might have been decent but he had put button badges all the way around the hat band . .but hey , if he was happy with the look . .

And then . .they had the winner of the best dressed Mod' competition. .
I wont make any deals with you , I've resigned. .
I wont be pushed, filed , stamped , indexed , briefed , debriefed OR NUMBERED!

Lord Mulberry

• Absolute Beginner
    • View Profile
« Reply #1764 on: February 18, 2018, 04:14:48 PM »

By far the worst must be the fat auld blokes at northern soul do's that insist oan wearin' a semmit teamed up wi' oxford bag troosers, (usually at half mast).

Mibbe in thir ain heids they ur still the supple king ay the dance floor, but in reality........

That's more or less me right now
Do it well

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1765 on: February 21, 2018, 01:26:41 PM »
I know some gents here rate high the waterproof french cagoules. This new Saint James' one doesn't look half bad, if a bit pricey (it's a cotton/linen mix), 225 .

On another issue, I know this should go in the "Bargains" thread, but I'll break just once the rule: the Uniqlo's merino wool rollnecks are selling right now for just 10 , with 5 or 6 colourways on display. Mind you, few sizes left. I've rounded my collection with a beautiful dark green one.

Simon Bond

• View Profile
« Reply #1766 on: February 21, 2018, 07:15:13 PM »
I know some gents here rate high the waterproof french cagoules. This new Saint James' one doesn't look half bad, if a bit pricey (it's a cotton/linen mix), 225 .

On another issue, I know this should go in the "Bargains" thread, but I'll break just once the rule: the Uniqlo's merino wool rollnecks are selling right now for just 10 , with 5 or 6 colourways on display. Mind you, few sizes left. I've rounded my collection with a beautiful dark green one.

Not quite those prices in Reino Unido. .

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1767 on: February 22, 2018, 11:26:48 AM »

You're right, I'm a bit puzzled by these differences (not just in price, but in the stock that is reduced too). Maybe Uniqlo UK are enacting their own take on Brexit. Anyway, the merino rollnecks sell with discount in GB too, only less (15 sterling), still a good buy, IMO.

Simon Bond

• View Profile
« Reply #1768 on: February 22, 2018, 05:56:31 PM »

You're right, I'm a bit puzzled by these differences (not just in price, but in the stock that is reduced too). Maybe Uniqlo UK are enacting their own take on Brexit. Anyway, the merino rollnecks sell with discount in GB too, only less (15 sterling), still a good buy, IMO.

Si , mi hermano but only in sizes for the very small faces and the very large ones. . :)

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1769 on: February 22, 2018, 07:12:07 PM »
Well, you could try the XS in navy, burgundy or black, but tbh I find that size comes a bit snug (tho' it's not a "muscle fit", lol). In fact, I have a white XS Uqlo wool rollneck and while I find it useful as a baselayer under BD shirts, popovers or cardies, for the green one I've gone up to an S size.

As most of the high street brands, Uniqlo sizing is a bit uneven. Almost all items by them I own are XS sized (the summer jacket is even XXS!), but in this case I'm sure an S will fit better. Anyway, they offer a detailed measurements chart for every product that's pretty helpful.