Author Topic: I'd Wear That...  (Read 379345 times)

The Laird of Enfield

• Just joined
    • View Profile
Re: I'd Wear That...
« Reply #1770 on: February 22, 2018, 09:31:31 PM »
I know some gents here rate high the waterproof french cagoules. This new Saint James' one doesn't look half bad, if a bit pricey (it's a cotton/linen mix), 225 €.

On another issue, I know this should go in the "Bargains" thread, but I'll break just once the rule: the Uniqlo's merino wool rollnecks are selling right now for just 10 €, with 5 or 6 colourways on display. Mind you, few sizes left. I've rounded my collection with a beautiful dark green one.

Not quite those prices in Reino Unido. .

You're right, I'm a bit puzzled by these differences (not just in price, but in the stock that is reduced too). Maybe Uniqlo UK are enacting their own take on Brexit. Anyway, the merino rollnecks sell with discount in GB too, only less (15 sterling), still a good buy, IMO.

Si , mi hermano but only in sizes for the very small faces and the very large ones. . :)

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1771 on: February 23, 2018, 11:27:37 AM »
Before things get out of hand (again), we better get back to the track... It looks a new UK shirtmaker that caters to modernists/suedeheads and the like has opened webshop. They make the shirts in London, apparently, using italian fabrics and in very limited runs. That, of course, means according prices (from 95 to 150 pounds).

Their staple is of course the classic BD, with all the mandatory details and nice 4 fingers' collars. They've got popovers too.

https://www.gregoryfarmer.co.uk/copy-of-home

Oh, and they seem to have a connection with Brutus.

detroitmike

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #1772 on: February 23, 2018, 12:09:07 PM »
Looks like nice work, GS. But at those prices, I have a local shirt maker who can do bespoke for me...
mod in Detroit

Woody 64

• Old fogey
    • View Profile
« Reply #1773 on: February 23, 2018, 12:29:25 PM »
Before things get out of hand (again), we better get back to the track... It looks a new UK shirtmaker that caters to modernists/suedeheads and the like has opened webshop. They make the shirts in London, apparently, using italian fabrics and in very limited runs. That, of course, means according prices (from 95 to 150 pounds).

Their staple is of course the classic BD, with all the mandatory details and nice 4 fingers' collars. They've got popovers too.

https://www.gregoryfarmer.co.uk/copy-of-home

Oh, and they seem to have a connection with Brutus.

Gregory Farmer works/worked for Brutus I believe

Martin G

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #1774 on: February 23, 2018, 01:16:29 PM »
Nice looking shirts for sure but for me a bit steep price wise. As noted if you have a known shirt maker of your own you can be sure a cost of around £100 will get you something comparable. I don't myself but as nice as these and others are I can't justify to myself, or my other half, a 'One-er' on a shirt. I am happy with the £50 mark and do alright and have of course had bargains too with the usual suspects such as Brutus or Mikkel Rude but for me personally anything over £100 is something more substantial than a shirt. Maybe a jacket or coat type of thing. I know there is the old adage of buying expensive to ensure you don't see others wearing the same gear but if you mix and match you can still look individual whilst wearing even a high street sourced item but you have to use your loaf a bit. For example if I dob into TK MAXX and see a slew of £20 Brutus Trim Fits I will generally dive in. However I won't be wearing one to a scooter run or night out. OK for a drink in the local pub or everyday is fine though especially if you are 'the only Mod in the village' . That's not a knock on the quality or anything simply so that you don't bump into a ton of other blokes wearing the same thing. Especially in a confined area it is embarrassing. On the last Modcast River Boat I was ecstatic not to have worn a Trim Fit as there were maybe half a dozen blokes all sporting them. All looking good too but a bit red faced as they passed each other and on a boat that happened a lot over the course of 6 hours!
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 04:02:26 PM by Martin G »

The Laird of Enfield

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #1775 on: February 23, 2018, 05:42:03 PM »

Aye spotted the Gregory Farmer shirts oan instagram a while back.

Nice collars but ah thought the fabrics wur a wee bit borin' n' as everybody else has said - pretty pricey.  Limited editions so as far as ah know nae Sales ever either.

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1776 on: February 23, 2018, 06:55:53 PM »
Nice looking shirts for sure but for me a bit steep price wise. As noted if you have a known shirt maker of your own you can be sure a cost of around £100 will get you something comparable. I don't myself but as nice as these and others are I can't justify to myself, or my other half, a 'One-er' on a shirt. I am happy with the £50 mark and do alright and have of course had bargains too with the usual suspects such as Brutus or Mikkel Rude but for me personally anything over £100 is something more substantial than a shirt. Maybe a jacket or coat type of thing. I know there is the old adage of buying expensive to ensure you don't see others wearing the same gear but if you mix and match you can still look individual whilst wearing even a high street sourced item but you have to use your loaf a bit. For example if I dob into TK MAXX and see a slew of £20 Brutus Trim Fits I will generally dive in. However I won't be wearing one to a scooter run or night out. OK for a drink in the local pub or everyday is fine though especially if you are 'the only Mod in the village' . That's not a knock on the quality or anything simply so that you don't bump into a ton of other blokes wearing the same thing. Especially in a confined area it is embarrassing. On the last Modcast River Boat I was ecstatic not to have worn a Trim Fit as there were maybe half a dozen blokes all sporting them. All looking good too but a bit red faced as they passed each other and on a boat that happened a lot over the course of 6 hours!

Many interesting points in your post, Martin. I see the price thresholds, about which Rod theorized not long ago, work for most of us. I have mine too, and besides I always keep an eye on the sales. If you are patient enough you get quality ítems at a fraction of the price. I'm "lucky" enough that not being active in the scene I don't cross paths often with other mods, so no risk of being seen in the same outfit.

Anyway I try to avoid commonplace mod brands, frankly, they bore me; if you search enough there are lots of brands selling clobber that ticks all the right boxes for us, and you're pretty sure to be the only one wearing a certain ítem. I like "e-hunting".

That said, if I fancy one thing from a high street brand, I'll buy it, no matter how many mods will be wearing it too (for instance, Uniqlo). And I won't doubt giving a heads up here in case I discover some nice clothing, I'm done for good with that competitive ethos, I'd rather be helpful to like-minded people.

Re. bespoke shirts, last time I went to my tailor, you could get one for less than 100 €. So that's my threshold for a shirt.

The Laird of Enfield

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #1777 on: February 25, 2018, 12:49:59 AM »
This Paul Smith suede jaiket is nice.  £600 tho'.

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1778 on: February 25, 2018, 11:29:10 AM »
This Paul Smith suede jaiket is nice.  £600 tho'.

Not what I'd call a bargain, for sure, specially when you can find proper suede truckers for a fraction of the price, even Levi's sell theirs for less (usually 400+ €, cheaper in the sales).

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1779 on: March 03, 2018, 05:19:00 PM »
Last LVC's collection is inspired by the pioneers of surf culture in California after WWII, and while some of the stuff is a rehashing of 40s popular casual styles -camp collar shirts with loud motifs, for instance, or baggy high rise jeans-, there are some interesting numbers that recall later californian/surf trends. They won't be to the tastes of the more purists here, but as some of you know I like to expand the usual modernist palette with some left field choices:

First, a twill windcheater:

A polo collar jumper with contrasting chest and cuffs colour:

And my favourite: half cuban shirt, half polo, one of those hybrids that oddly work fine: