Author Topic: I'd Wear That...  (Read 784890 times)

detroitmike

• Just joined
    • View Profile
Re: I'd Wear That...
« Reply #2990 on: December 06, 2020, 08:10:33 PM »

I actually prefer the check of your pic, Mike, but beggars can't be choosers; I'm after a decent dogtooth blazer since god knows when, but nothing cheap and nice coming my way (I should have got my tailor to make it -and a madras sports jacket- when I still had money  :().

Regarding the "boxy" shape, I don't mind it myself, we'll be grateful of having some boxy jackets sooner than later  ;D

That pattern is always around, mostly in "Ivy" centric retailers. Here's a Brooks one:
When I was working there, a year back we actually were clearing out an earlier one. It comes back every other year or so. I'd check TKMaxx, etsy, or eBay...
"War is not the answer, because only love can conquer hate..."

Chilli

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #2991 on: December 07, 2020, 12:48:27 PM »
I got my dog tooth jacket in the Next sale a couple of years ago you would not believe what l paid for it. 3 buttons , pure new wool , spot on fit , lovely lining.  .etc
As for the trousers looking like "Frankenstein fit" maybe that is just because Frankenstein is wearing them.

;D  When I flicked through the pictures, my immediate thoughts when I saw the shoes the model was wearing was 'You raaang?'  ;D

Simon Bond

• Is it me for a moment . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #2992 on: December 07, 2020, 02:54:48 PM »
I got my dog tooth jacket in the Next sale a couple of years ago you would not believe what l paid for it. 3 buttons , pure new wool , spot on fit , lovely lining.  .etc
As for the trousers looking like "Frankenstein fit" maybe that is just because Frankenstein is wearing them.

;D  When I flicked through the pictures, my immediate thoughts when I saw the shoes the model was wearing was 'You raaang?'  ;D

Oh Chilli, you are are naughty but l like it 🤣🤣😇

I suppose it is even worse on the likes of Assos website where the models are covered in tatt's as if they are Polynesian Warrior's 🤪🙃
I wont make any deals with you , I've resigned. .
I wont be pushed, filed , stamped , indexed , briefed , debriefed OR NUMBERED!

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2993 on: December 07, 2020, 06:30:09 PM »

Exactly my thoughts

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2994 on: December 07, 2020, 06:41:49 PM »

I actually prefer the check of your pic, Mike, but beggars can't be choosers; I'm after a decent dogtooth blazer since god knows when, but nothing cheap and nice coming my way (I should have got my tailor to make it -and a madras sports jacket- when I still had money  :().

Regarding the "boxy" shape, I don't mind it myself, we'll be grateful of having some boxy jackets sooner than later  ;D

That pattern is always around, mostly in "Ivy" centric retailers. Here's a Brooks one:
When I was working there, a year back we actually were clearing out an earlier one. It comes back every other year or so. I'd check TKMaxx, etsy, or eBay...

Not too keen on buying vintage, Mike. I have located a gorgeous one but it has to be discounted to even consider.

detroitmike

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #2995 on: December 08, 2020, 02:14:57 PM »

Not too keen on buying vintage, Mike. I have located a gorgeous one but it has to be discounted to even consider.
Discount is ALWAYS better than full price ;), G.... I'm not a big vintage fan myself, either.

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2996 on: December 08, 2020, 08:21:11 PM »

Discount is ALWAYS better than full price ;), G.... I'm not a big vintage fan myself, either.

I remember some vintage shops in Manhattan, they charged outrageous prices for unwearable numbers that had given the ghost long time ago; and not just the "posh" ones, some military surplus stores were also laughably expensive.

detroitmike

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #2997 on: December 08, 2020, 09:22:25 PM »

I remember some vintage shops in Manhattan, they charged outrageous prices for unwearable numbers that had given the ghost long time ago; and not just the "posh" ones, some military surplus stores were also laughably expensive.
In the 80's I used to buy vintage occasionally. Once found a great tweed German overcoat that was almost TOO WARM, even in sub freezing Detroit winters, but that was about it. Usually there were holes, or didn't fit quite right. I did what I could cause it was "the look" back then. ;D

Simon Bond

• Is it me for a moment . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #2998 on: December 08, 2020, 09:47:31 PM »

In the 80's I used to buy vintage occasionally. Once found a great tweed German overcoat that was almost TOO WARM, even in sub freezing Detroit winters, but that was about it. Usually there were holes, or didn't fit quite right. I did what I could cause it was "the look" back then. ;D

Would that be a sort of Ian McCulloch/Echo and the Bunnymen look. .
I wont make any deals with you , I've resigned. .
I wont be pushed, filed , stamped , indexed , briefed , debriefed OR NUMBERED!

Chilli

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #2999 on: December 09, 2020, 12:22:50 PM »

Likewise, I used to mix and match new and vintage clobber in the 80s.  There were some fantastic vintage shops in Sheffield in the mid-80s with clothes in the kind of styles that just weren't being made at that time and that were still in great condition; usually at good prices too. 

With the plethora of clothiers available now producing new clobber in styles that I'm looking for, I don't think I'd buy vintage any longer; though if something really stood out and was in good nick, I wouldn't dismiss it completely.