Author Topic: I'd Wear That...  (Read 787047 times)

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
Re: I'd Wear That...
« Reply #3000 on: December 09, 2020, 04:19:49 PM »

Likewise, I used to mix and match new and vintage clobber in the 80s.  There were some fantastic vintage shops in Sheffield in the mid-80s with clothes in the kind of styles that just weren't being made at that time and that were still in great condition; usually at good prices too. 

With the plethora of clothiers available now producing new clobber in styles that I'm looking for, I don't think I'd buy vintage any longer; though if something really stood out and was in good nick, I wouldn't dismiss it completely.

More or less my thoughts, Paul. In the early 80s, us penniless teenagers had just two clothes suppliers, dad's wardrobe or second hand (and the occassional dept. store purchase), so it was usual to raid street markets' stalls in search of a faux parka, jacket or retro-looking jumper, cheap as chips also.

But nowadays the best or unique-looking vintage pieces and/or the classic menswear brands command outrageous prices if they're in good-to-mint condition, so I prefer to look for new retro-looking garments, unless I see the odd showstopper vintage number in my size (which is becoming an increasingly rare occurrence these days, sellers usually know the market and what they're handling).

Simon Bond

• Is it me for a moment . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #3001 on: December 09, 2020, 09:15:42 PM »

Likewise, I used to mix and match new and vintage clobber in the 80s.  There were some fantastic vintage shops in Sheffield in the mid-80s with clothes in the kind of styles that just weren't being made at that time and that were still in great condition; usually at good prices too. 

With the plethora of clothiers available now producing new clobber in styles that I'm looking for, I don't think I'd buy vintage any longer; though if something really stood out and was in good nick, I wouldn't dismiss it completely.

More or less my thoughts, Paul. In the early 80s, us penniless teenagers had just two clothes suppliers, dad's wardrobe or second hand (and the occassional dept. store purchase), so it was usual to raid street markets' stalls in search of a faux parka, jacket or retro-looking jumper, cheap as chips also.

But nowadays the best or unique-looking vintage pieces and/or the classic menswear brands command outrageous prices if they're in good-to-mint condition, so I prefer to look for new retro-looking garments, unless I see the odd showstopper vintage number in my size (which is becoming an increasingly rare occurrence these days, sellers usually know the market and what they're handling).

I reckon the best street market l ever saw back in the day was the one in Madrid . The Rastro?
I wont make any deals with you , I've resigned. .
I wont be pushed, filed , stamped , indexed , briefed , debriefed OR NUMBERED!

detroitmike

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #3002 on: December 09, 2020, 10:43:12 PM »

Not too keen on buying vintage, Mike. I have located a gorgeous one but it has to be discounted to even consider.
Discount is ALWAYS better than full price ;), G.... I'm not a big vintage fan myself, either.

I remember some vintage shops in Manhattan, they charged outrageous prices for unwearable numbers that had given the ghost long time ago; and not just the "posh" ones, some military surplus stores were also laughably expensive.
In the 80's I used to buy vintage occasionally. Once found a great tweed German overcoat that was almost TOO WARM, even in sub freezing Detroit winters, but that was about it. Usually there were holes, or didn't fit quite right. I did what I could cause it was "the look" back then. ;D

Would that be a sort of Ian McCulloch/Echo and the Bunnymen look. .
But weren't we all Bunnymen, in the 80's?  ;)

Not too keen on buying vintage, Mike. I have located a gorgeous one but it has to be discounted to even consider.
Discount is ALWAYS better than full price ;), G.... I'm not a big vintage fan myself, either.

I remember some vintage shops in Manhattan, they charged outrageous prices for unwearable numbers that had given the ghost long time ago; and not just the "posh" ones, some military surplus stores were also laughably expensive.
In the 80's I used to buy vintage occasionally. Once found a great tweed German overcoat that was almost TOO WARM, even in sub freezing Detroit winters, but that was about it. Usually there were holes, or didn't fit quite right. I did what I could cause it was "the look" back then. ;D

There was a "curated" vintage shop called "Patti Smith"(no relation to the singer/poet) that had only really good quality vintage ( no holes or shredded linings) along with new gear. Other than that, the "Second Hand" shops were constantly picked clean by other vintage sellers, it was hard to find good 60's clothes...

And you're right on, Chil, today with the "inter webs" you can buy anything you want brand new...
"War is not the answer, because only love can conquer hate..."

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3003 on: December 10, 2020, 09:50:20 AM »

I reckon the best street market l ever saw back in the day was the one in Madrid . The Rastro?

Yep, my friend, possibly, though it's not by any means the only street market dealing with vintage clothes or furniture in Madrid. We've got our own "Rastro" in Valencia, but way more unassuming than Madrid's. Anyway, we used to explore mainly neighbourhood markets searching for suitable clobber.

Number 6

• View Profile
« Reply #3004 on: December 10, 2020, 11:02:27 AM »
From my point of view the 80s/early 90s were a great time for finding good vintage clobber (there was a lot of deadstock around) even in places like charity shops. During the 90s most of what I wore was exclusively vintage, with the exception of bespoke trousers and suits, and a few things like Smedleys and Clarks desert boots (still Made in England at that time). However it was also during this period that ‘vintage’ became more mainstream and trendy (in fact I don’t remember the term’vintage’ being applied to clothes before then, it was‘second hand’ or ‘deadstock’) and decent clothes became scarcer.

In more recent years there are so many options for decent new clothes that buying vintage is no longer a necessity.  I still have quite a few favourite pieces that I’ve collected over the years that I still occasionally wear.

Rod

• Style in the Modern World
    • View Profile
« Reply #3005 on: December 10, 2020, 04:08:16 PM »

When I arrived in Sheffield I paid five quid for a lovely heavy long sold grey overcoat in a herringbone weave. Got me through several harsh winters in Sheffield and Leeds. When I moved to America my Mam moved to a smaller house and I think ot got dumped. It was t as refined as the navy Crombie I inherited from my Dad but a nice everyday coat.

I got a couple of vintage suits from second hand shops in my home town which were obviously from the sixties - one solid grey and one navy marle.

Also a couple from ‘Strip’ in Kensington Market in London. Great place sadly no longer with us.

My best score might be the ‘worsted and silk’ silver sharkskin jacket I got from Afflecks Palace in Manchester in spring 1985 for 15 quid. I still have that one and it still fits! It was probably made bespoke for someone in the middle of the Mod period and may well have been part of a suit.

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3006 on: December 10, 2020, 05:54:20 PM »

My best score might be the ‘worsted and silk’ silver sharkskin jacket I got from Afflecks Palace in Manchester in spring 1985 for 15 quid. I still have that one and it still fits! It was probably made bespoke for someone in the middle of the Mod period and may well have been part of a suit.

Pics of that beauty?  8)

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3007 on: December 10, 2020, 05:59:37 PM »
However it was also during this period that ‘vintage’ became more mainstream and trendy (in fact I don’t remember the term’vintage’ being applied to clothes before then, it was‘second hand’ or ‘deadstock’) and decent clothes became scarcer.

Two indesirable outcomes of that, of course, are a sensible raising of the prices and the increasing difficulty in hunting down nice pieces in mint condition. There are still sellers stocking impressive, well curated stuff, but not worth the prices they ask for, IMO. I guess it's different for collectors, and in fact I know fellas that store their best vintage finds (and I bet some even frame them!)

Simon Bond

• Is it me for a moment . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #3008 on: December 10, 2020, 06:23:34 PM »

[/quote]

Would that be a sort of Ian McCulloch/Echo and the Bunnymen look. .
[/quote]
But weren't we all Bunnymen, in the 80's?  ;)
[/quote]

I was never into the Bunnymen look . I was into the Waterboys and Aztec Camera back in the day and l know at one point Mike Scott  dressed a bit like McCulloch but it was the kind of look that was being adopted by my buddies wee brothers at the time . .

I wont make any deals with you , I've resigned. .
I wont be pushed, filed , stamped , indexed , briefed , debriefed OR NUMBERED!

Rod

• Style in the Modern World
    • View Profile
« Reply #3009 on: December 10, 2020, 10:08:55 PM »
I’ll let you know when I get a decent pic of that jacket Syd. I don’t think I’ve had it on the blog either. It doesn’t get worn much at all these days but there’s some sentimental value so I’m loath to part with it. It’s probably as old as me!