Author Topic: I'd Wear That...  (Read 476751 times)

Red Steve

• ...gettin' long in the tooth.
    • View Profile
Re: I'd Wear That...
« Reply #450 on: June 05, 2014, 08:40:57 AM »
If you think 175 is pricey, check out this one from Crombie for nearly 600

http://www.crombie.co.uk/jackets/jacket-60126jknv-60126jknv-114-1-2-3-4-5-6-7.html

Adam

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: June 05, 2014, 09:08:48 AM »
Actually 175 isn't too bad compared to the Baracuta nonsense. It isn't cheap to make here..

But what if they were mass produced in the UK (or US)? It would be more expensive maybe than China, but would it be double or triple the price retail?
I'm always wondering about this, I know brands like FP are owned by big conglomerates, who want to maximize profit, but at what point is it just price gouging...

I'm no expert on China as we don't make anything there but I would expect a jacket like that to be maybe half to two thirds the cost to make in China than the UK. Although this would be on a very large production. I don't think you would get such a good deal from China if you were only making 1000 jackets. Also, even though there is quality from china it still doesn't often match european production.
You need to almost double retail price on low production, made in uk products that look similar to mass produced chinese stuff due to the manufacturing cost, but long term the items are often worth the extra cash. Smedley is probably a good example.
So the FP jacket is not really too bad, considering their overheads etc. If it said JTG on it instead of the FP logo I would still struggle to get half the money, even if it was the same jacket. Power of branding eh.  The Baracuta for nearly 300 quid is in my opinion just overpriced hipster stuff. They have done a great job of making a basic jacket very desirable to a trendy crowd, well done them. Don't get me wrong though. the Baracuta is a lovely well made , great looking jacket but overpriced, in my humble opinion.

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: June 05, 2014, 11:27:16 AM »
Luckily I got mine before they went greedy, and tho' I like it I don't really need more than one harrington in my closet.

Diabolik

• View Profile
« Reply #453 on: June 05, 2014, 03:29:35 PM »

Custom Made Tricker's Winston Boot for a customer of The Shoe Healer in Doncaster - Taupe Shrunken Grain Leather with a Blue Dainite Sole. Not everyone's cuppa but I'd wear them.

detroitmike

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: June 05, 2014, 04:18:53 PM »
yeah, the multi colored sole kills it for me.

Custom Made Tricker's Winston Boot for a customer of The Shoe Healer in Doncaster - Taupe Shrunken Grain Leather with a Blue Dainite Sole. Not everyone's cuppa but I'd wear them.

"War is not the answer, because only love can conquer hate..."

The Laird of Enfield

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: June 05, 2014, 11:31:33 PM »

Ah'd wear them - but no if it meant havin' tae walk roon Doncaster.

Red Steve

• ...gettin' long in the tooth.
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: June 06, 2014, 10:52:07 AM »
Quite like the jacket Wiggo was wearing on Breakfast TV this morning, although he could have sorted the collar out

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: June 12, 2014, 12:15:56 PM »
Recently I discovered this french trainers/deck shoes brand, what do you think?

StevePWilliams

• Dolce Far Niente
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: June 12, 2014, 12:17:36 PM »
Nothing too spectacular but I'd wear the middle ones on holiday!

YMC do something similar, nice summer style.
Concilio et Labore

detroitmike

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: June 12, 2014, 01:53:10 PM »
Not sure about those laces... ZARA has a similar, slightly more subtle:

http://www.zara.com/us/en/man/shoes/sneakers/fabric-blucher-c358062p1807041.html
"War is not the answer, because only love can conquer hate..."