Author Topic: I'd Wear That...  (Read 476728 times)

Simon Bond

• Is it me for a moment . .
    • View Profile
Re: I'd Wear That...
« Reply #980 on: March 14, 2016, 08:27:26 PM »
Speaking of shades... can anyone identify these?

Looking for a pair, frankly I'm surprised PG hasn't done a version (given their Lennon appreciation)...

Last year I had to sell Mr PG some AO's (same as Randolphs really),  Not sure I've seen him wearing them so it's probably safe to get them out this summer.  Love mine... ;)

Yes , you wont go far wrong with a pair of AO's , as long as you get the right size . I'd recommend the gold frame over the silver one too. .
I wont make any deals with you , I've resigned. .
I wont be pushed, filed , stamped , indexed , briefed , debriefed OR NUMBERED!

Rod

• Style in the Modern World
    • View Profile
« Reply #981 on: March 14, 2016, 08:48:02 PM »
Disagree. Both Randolph and AO claim to be the authentic supplier to US pilots (maybe something like how Victorinox was the 'original' and Wenger the 'genuine' Swiss Army knife?) AFAIK due to the government contract flip flopping between the two.

I had a pair of the AO square pilot ones several years ago and they didn't last long at all, the frames were coated in black but the coating soon rubbed off to reveal the blue oxidation beneath, and the hinges and frames seems much less robust than the RE ones. Just my experience like.

detroitmike

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #982 on: March 14, 2016, 10:54:58 PM »
I've a pair of Rayban Caravans from the 60's, which look similar to the AO's. Those shades Lennon sported looked  just a little different enough to pique my interest.

"War is not the answer, because only love can conquer hate..."

Simon Bond

• View Profile
« Reply #983 on: March 14, 2016, 11:37:04 PM »
Disagree. Both Randolph and AO claim to be the authentic supplier to US pilots (maybe something like how Victorinox was the 'original' and Wenger the 'genuine' Swiss Army knife?) AFAIK due to the government contract flip flopping between the two.

I had a pair of the AO square pilot ones several years ago and they didn't last long at all, the frames were coated in black but the coating soon rubbed off to reveal the blue oxidation beneath, and the hinges and frames seems much less robust than the RE ones. Just my experience like.

US government contracts certainly change supplier. MA-1's and parkas were made by various companies over the years and I don't doubt that it has been the same with the sunglasses. Personally had no problems with my AO's but possibly different factory from the where your ones were made . The worst quality Levi's I ever had were made in the US , hard to believe but true. .

Adam

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #984 on: March 15, 2016, 09:18:18 AM »
I think AO defiantly have a bit of history with the military (they say that Neil Armstrong had some on Apollo 11) and Randolph are a much younger company so maybe not as much heritage.
I've owned both and never had any problems with them over the last 10/15 years or so. Those coated ones might be a bit of a fashion thing and liable to flaking (i'm not sure). 

Red Steve

• ...gettin' long in the tooth.
    • View Profile
« Reply #985 on: March 15, 2016, 11:41:30 AM »

detroitmike

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #986 on: March 15, 2016, 12:29:58 PM »
Those look close to these:

Which I like, but need t find a "deal" on them... they retail for about $500
"War is not the answer, because only love can conquer hate..."

Red Steve

• ...gettin' long in the tooth.
    • View Profile
« Reply #987 on: March 15, 2016, 03:27:08 PM »
Yes Mike very similar but the price tag .. GULP!  :-[

Simon Bond

• View Profile
« Reply #988 on: March 15, 2016, 06:16:00 PM »
Yes, even more expensive than Tom Ford . . :-\