Author Topic: I'd Wear That...  (Read 433537 times)

Bobby Charlton

Re: I'd Wear That...
« Reply #380 on: May 01, 2014, 08:09:35 PM »
Something a bit different, my final year uni collection i made based on the Duke of Windsor.

Wow! All looks great to me Lisa.

Rod

• Style in the Modern World
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: May 01, 2014, 09:43:33 PM »
So I'm guessing you're a fashion student Lisa and if so good luck to you, but the problem with fashion in general, and illustrated in your pics, is that by necessity it has to keep on reinventing the wheel (remember the famous Oscar Wilde quote?), when in reality the wheel has evolved to a point that it needs little if any further intervention/evolution.

So - double breasted with notches (huuuuuuge notches!) has been tried in the eighties and I doubt will resurface again any time soon but the effort can be forgiven, but I can't envisage any time, any place, any planet when any person will ever need a sleeveless overcoat.

Not trying to score points here, I wish you luck as you finish your degree. 

Lisa

• View Profile
« Reply #382 on: May 01, 2014, 10:10:21 PM »
Thank you Bobby much appreciated!

Yes Rod i appreciate it isn't to every ones taste and i myself believe that no one would need to wear a sleeveless overcoat, but when i left school and was pushed towards university to make my school appear better in league tables i chose to do a degree i would enjoy while learning skills at the same time, it was only in my second year when i realised what i actually wanted to do, but having put so much money and effort into the degree already i decided to finish it, so then i could pursue my career. But as this is the degree i have chosen i have to follow certain criterias within my work and make and design things i wouldn't normally want to make, the collection i have made isn't something i'd expect most people to wear but it ticks boxes with my tutors. But most of all i am very proud of what i have achieved considering three weeks ago all of that was just a few piles of fabric.

Trotsky

• Ah yeah
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: May 02, 2014, 08:10:15 AM »
While the makro look might not be to everyones taste, I'd like to see more of the details up close. eg how you've done the buttons or pocket trim. That is more in keeping with the Mod aesthetic I think. There are many views on what the essential theme of Modism is but one is that of blending in while standing out on the details.
Life is too short to listen to s**t music

StevePWilliams

• Dolce Far Niente
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: May 02, 2014, 09:28:59 AM »
Agree with you Trotsky.

I think they're all pretty class, nicely laid out and photographed too - I'm pretty impressed!
Concilio et Labore

DrGonzo2411

• Dressing fine and making time.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: May 02, 2014, 10:43:59 AM »
The DB suits screams Chalky White in Boardwalk Empire, I'd wear it in a flash!!
36/33 waist/leg, 46 chest, 10 shoe/boot

StevePWilliams

• Dolce Far Niente
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: May 02, 2014, 10:45:15 AM »
The DB suits screams Chalky White in Boardwalk Empire, I'd wear it in a flash!!

haha great shout! What a guy.
Concilio et Labore

Lisa

• View Profile
« Reply #387 on: May 02, 2014, 11:33:14 AM »
haha thanks! Heres some close ups of the details, there's a lack of belt loops and button holes due to time constraints!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/123461938@N02/

StevePWilliams

• Dolce Far Niente
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: May 02, 2014, 11:38:47 AM »
Some fantastic work there IMO, I'd definitely wear something made by you!
Concilio et Labore

markrulesok

• View Profile
« Reply #389 on: May 02, 2014, 01:05:16 PM »
Very nice, and 100% appreciate the fact that often with creative degrees especially you do get sort of swept into it, and are encouraged to 'push the envelope' perhaps a bit more than your own personal taste might ordinarily dictate; but with that said I still like the look of them, shot very well, and it's certainly a showcase of talent!

LOVE the cuff detail on the shirt in the link above.