Author Topic: I'd Wear That...  (Read 468368 times)

Number 6

• View Profile
Re: I'd Wear That...
« Reply #470 on: June 13, 2014, 12:57:48 PM »
Anyone ever bought a suit from Adam Shener? What did you think? I've only ever bought his shirts  http://www.adamoflondon.com/aol_newshop/

Agree with Steve, trousers a little wide in the bottom, but an overall great fit (for OTP, of course) and good quality.

BTW Steve, I saw the YMC deck shoes and I liked them very much; in fact, I'm tempted by a pair in dark green suede, but out of my budget at the moment  :(

I love the cut of the trousers personally. Nicely fitted through the hip and thigh with a slick kick flare at the bottom. I'm using them as a template for a couple of pairs of lightweight summer trousers I'm getting made tomorrow.

I'd concur with this; the trousers are about 18" at hem cut straight from the knee with a 33" waist size - but with size 10 plates I don't find them too wide.  Worn just touching the top of the shoe with as little break as possible.

AOL suits are my default suit for work, and I am suited every day therefore I have a few both button 3 and button 2.  I know 2-button suits aren't to everyone's taste here but the trousers (as do the lapels) seem to be narrower than the 3-button suits, tapering to about 16" hem.

For me AOL suits are the best fitting/quality I have had outside of bespoke and can easily carry over outside of work into 'best'.  As StevePW mentioned they are nicely waisted, which is hard to find OTP, half-canvassing, decent quality cloth, nice lining etc.

To the best of my knowledge JTG are very similar in cloth and construction, but slightly less waisted, perhaps shorter jackets and more tapered leg on the trousers.

Personally my favourite AOL suit at the moment is a 2-button blue wool/kid mohair mix which always gets positive comments.

Red Steve

• ...gettin' long in the tooth.
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: June 13, 2014, 01:09:19 PM »
Anyone ever bought a suit from Adam Shener? What did you think? I've only ever bought his shirts  http://www.adamoflondon.com/aol_newshop/

Agree with Steve, trousers a little wide in the bottom, but an overall great fit (for OTP, of course) and good quality.

BTW Steve, I saw the YMC deck shoes and I liked them very much; in fact, I'm tempted by a pair in dark green suede, but out of my budget at the moment  :(

I love the cut of the trousers personally. Nicely fitted through the hip and thigh with a slick kick flare at the bottom. I'm using them as a template for a couple of pairs of lightweight summer trousers I'm getting made tomorrow.

I'd concur with this; the trousers are about 18" at hem cut straight from the knee with a 33" waist size - but with size 10 plates I don't find them too wide. 

This is why I love the cut too. Size 10 feet. 6' 3" and not an ounce of fat, I always look "odd" with narrow leg (at the bottom) trousers.

I love Jump the Gun's stay prest trousers (lovely quality, good price too) but they're just a tad too narrow around the ankles and make my feet look "clownish" I feel, and again it's just a personal thing that I look better, in trousers especially, not so much denim. where there is a little more width around the shoes.

As Steve W said, the jackets are fitted, not skinny, but nipped in at the waist, which for a skinny git like me adds some shape if that makes sense...if not the pic explains better than words can;

WayneK

• View Profile
« Reply #472 on: June 13, 2014, 01:39:31 PM »
AoL and JtG suits are similar, main differences have been noted above.  Reason I prefer JtG (aside from the shorter jacket length) is Adam and Jonathan can always sort me with odd requests.  For example, I wear a 36s jacket but in their trousers a 34 (nip the waist in quite a lot but need the room in the thigh for the footballer thighs!) and they sort me every time.  AoL was not as accomodating as in his trousers I buy size 33.

Wayne

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: June 13, 2014, 02:28:36 PM »

If you go on Yoox mate, they have a pair on there in blue I think down to 25/35 sort of price?

edit - here's the link, 35. http://www.yoox.com/uk/44616985FI/item?dept=men#sts=sr_men80&cod10=44616985FI&sizeId=

Cheers, Steve! They're not the ones I fancy, but thanks anyway. THESE are the YMC I like:

I've spotted some gorgeous chukka shoes in their website too, but out of my reach at 165 pounds.  :'(

StevePWilliams

• Dolce Far Niente
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: June 13, 2014, 02:58:31 PM »
Cor yeah 165 isn't the sort of money I'd blow on a pair of summer shoes! The 35 ones I like actually, might nab a pair in a month or so.
Concilio et Labore

Lord Mulberry

• Absolute Beginner
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: June 13, 2014, 07:54:47 PM »
AoL and JtG suits are similar, main differences have been noted above.  Reason I prefer JtG (aside from the shorter jacket length) is Adam and Jonathan can always sort me with odd requests.  For example, I wear a 36s jacket but in their trousers a 34 (nip the waist in quite a lot but need the room in the thigh for the footballer thighs!) and they sort me every time.  AoL was not as accomodating as in his trousers I buy size 33.

Wayne

I see most of their suit trousers are 15.5" bottoms. I wouldn't be able to get my legs in those, not with my Popeye calf muscles
Do it well

Rod

• Style in the Modern World
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: June 13, 2014, 08:27:25 PM »
I've said it before Red Steve the quality of your whistles always looks good. The strides on that one fit you well but again the jacket looks too big across the shoulders, (note vertical ripples on your ipper chest) and my preference is for jackets to have more open quarters and hug around the hips not flare out like yours does here. You should try the next size down and see if it works better, (but of course that might throw off hem lengths me sleeve length etc.)

detroitmike

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: June 13, 2014, 10:05:19 PM »
I agree on the hem width, the AoL suit trouser hem is my minimum width now...

This is why I love the cut too. Size 10 feet. 6' 3" and not an ounce of fat, I always look "odd" with narrow leg (at the bottom) trousers.

I love Jump the Gun's stay prest trousers (lovely quality, good price too) but they're just a tad too narrow around the ankles and make my feet look "clownish" I feel, and again it's just a personal thing that I look better, in trousers especially, not so much denim. where there is a little more width around the shoes.

As Steve W said, the jackets are fitted, not skinny, but nipped in at the waist, which for a skinny git like me adds some shape if that makes sense...if not the pic explains better than words can;

[/quote]
"War is not the answer, because only love can conquer hate..."

Lord Mulberry

• Absolute Beginner
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: June 16, 2014, 11:37:32 AM »
Been looking for a broad ,equal hooped polo shirt in red and white. A bit like this only without the crappy logos on it. http://www.myntra.com/buyhatke/buyhatke/buyhatke/251711/buy?semp=eoss&utm_source=aff-omg&utm_medium=aff-omg&utm_campaign=logo=aff=368059  Any Ideas?
Do it well

detroitmike

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: June 16, 2014, 12:41:45 PM »
I've said it before Red Steve the quality of your whistles always looks good. The strides on that one fit you well but again the jacket looks too big across the shoulders, (note vertical ripples on your ipper chest) and my preference is for jackets to have more open quarters and hug around the hips not flare out like yours does here. You should try the next size down and see if it works better, (but of course that might throw off hem lengths me sleeve length etc.)
The shoulders on the suits do tend to do that I've noticed, even with the proper size... I need a 41/42" jacket, but I usually get the 40", it's a tad snug in the chest, and the shoulders still look a bit over sized... not sure why, maybe because they taper the waist?   
"War is not the answer, because only love can conquer hate..."