Author Topic: I'd Wear That...  (Read 480760 times)

Rod

• Style in the Modern World
    • View Profile
Re: I'd Wear That...
« Reply #750 on: April 29, 2015, 12:02:05 AM »
Didn't he drive a Vauxhall Viva?
I loved all those old ITC serieses. I think my favourite was The Champions and IIRC Stewart Damon was always turned out in very sharp looking suits. Alexandra Bastedo was probably my first childhood crush!

Simon Bond

• Is it me for a moment . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: April 29, 2015, 07:41:53 AM »
I believe the car was a Vauxhall Victor , which was a bit bigger than the Viva . The Victor was perhaps the Insignia of its day. .

Yes , the Champions was superb , back in the day . Yes , Bastedo was well loved by many a young man back in the day . The show was a great concept , I thought but has aged a little now , even tho' it is still great fun. .
I wont make any deals with you , I've resigned. .
I wont be pushed, filed , stamped , indexed , briefed , debriefed OR NUMBERED!

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: April 29, 2015, 09:48:18 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBveK3teswg

US guys may be more familiar with it as this!

As it goes Mike Pratt wore a bit of decent gear in this and his son Guy was a member of an early Mod band called Speedball.
Oh now I get it, he's a ghost, so he's dressing like late 60's Lennon...  ;)

I have a picture on my blog of a three button single breasted jacket in that exact colour. Got it a few years ago for about $90. It's all silk. Very nice jacket but not very versatile so it only comes out rarely during the festive season. One red wine mishap and it will be a distant memory!

Yeah, I had a practically brand new Smedley in a very light "oatmeal" that I dumped red wine on...knew I should have stayed with the beer that night.

Red wine + white clothes= sartorial nightmare. In fact I spilled a generous quantity of red wine on a long sleeved polo months ago, but it was dark green/grey, fortunately.

Alexandra Bastedo was a stunning sight, I concur, I guess she must be of spanish descent with that surname...

Simon Bond

• Is it me for a moment . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: April 29, 2015, 11:34:27 AM »
Indeed , Bastedo's  Canadian-born father was of Spanish, Dutch, Scottish and native Indian extraction. .

Who would have thunk it ? I think , back in the day tho' , her descent was of little interest. . ;)
I wont make any deals with you , I've resigned. .
I wont be pushed, filed , stamped , indexed , briefed , debriefed OR NUMBERED!

detroitmike

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: April 29, 2015, 01:58:45 PM »
I vaguely remember "The Champions"  (I think it aired on CBC Ch. 9 out of Windsor, ONT. on Saturday afternoons) so I googled Alexandra Bastedo... Now I remember!

Wow.

Wished I would have caught it more often!
"War is not the answer, because only love can conquer hate..."

Trotsky

• Ah yeah
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: April 29, 2015, 02:03:03 PM »
Likewise - wow.
Life is too short to listen to s**t music

Rod

• Style in the Modern World
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: April 29, 2015, 02:08:04 PM »
Yeah I just wiki-ed her and saw she died of cancer last year which I'm sorry to learn.

Destined to be a top star but I think she preferred a more languid lifestyle so never got caught up on the glamour etc. which is a lesson a few of today's pop tarts could learn well from.

detroitmike

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: April 29, 2015, 03:06:25 PM »
Yeah I just wiki-ed her and saw she died of cancer last year which I'm sorry to learn.

Destined to be a top star but I think she preferred a more languid lifestyle so never got caught up on the glamour etc. which is a lesson a few of today's pop tarts could learn well from.

It was a different time back then, as they say...
"War is not the answer, because only love can conquer hate..."

The Laird of Enfield

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: April 29, 2015, 10:38:08 PM »
Didn't he drive a Vauxhall Viva?
I loved all those old ITC serieses. I think my favourite was The Champions and IIRC Stewart Damon was always turned out in very sharp looking suits. Alexandra Bastedo was probably my first childhood crush!

Alexandra Bastedo wis amongst the earliest visions ah conjured up whilst abusin' masel'.

She almost inspired me tae become a champion.

Ian_B

• Old Man Ian
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: May 04, 2015, 12:49:38 PM »
Alexandra Bastedo went to school with my older sister & used to come round to ours for tea when I was far too young to appreciate her talents !

Grammar = the difference between knowing your s**t, and knowing you're s**t!