Author Topic: I'd Wear That...  (Read 433555 times)

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
Re: I'd Wear That...
« Reply #790 on: May 24, 2015, 09:37:58 AM »
Welcome to the club, Rod!! And I bet it didn't hurt, did it ? ;D.

I checked your blog yesterday but you hadn't posted the BD post yet. A fine didactic approach, as expected, but let's get to the point, that is, your BD choices: the H&M one reveals you're not trained on the subject, even for small chaps like me that collar wouldn't do, it's diminutive and has no roll at all, the only redeeming feature the stripes design. Things get better with the Uniqlo number, that is similar to a cheap BD shirt I own, a traditional colour and an acceptable roll on the collar. If I was in your shoes (btw, I wish they were Allen Edmonds  8) ), I would have purchased the Kamakura first: they're not expensive and they tick all the right boxes (the details like the rear button, the substantial, hard cloth). That said, you should try them in the flesh cos' they have a couple of fits (Tokio and NY) and to find the right one may be tricky. I was lucky with mine, that my brother purchased while in New York.

Now you're ready to deal with another phobias; what about BD popover shirts? Well the important thing is you made up your mind at last. Will we see pics of Trots in loafers or brogues? Only time will tell...

BTW Trots, the last boots you've posted are fine but the seam (not so much the shape of the toe) is a deal-breaker for me too.

Harry

« Reply #791 on: May 24, 2015, 05:10:56 PM »
I'm with Steve here, imo French cuff and BD don't sit well. Like a Frank Lloydd Wright with a thatched roof. Well if you catch my drift  :)

Steve McKing

• "Life is too short to wear s**t clothes"
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: May 25, 2015, 08:39:04 PM »
I'm with Steve here, imo French cuff and BD don't sit well. Like a Frank Lloydd Wright with a thatched roof. Well if you catch my drift  :)

Wow! Now there's a vision Harry,
I'm a person who likes classic clothing and I like to keep certain items how they should be... it's what makes a lot of these items classic.
But I can appreciate creative mixing and matching. I can imagine it was this cultural and sartorial pick and mixing that created the overall mod aesthetic all those years ago in the 50s and 60s.
Having said all of that I think that a button down should always have a barrel cuff. Always.

Trotsky

• Ah yeah
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: May 26, 2015, 07:33:01 AM »
This is a website covering various shirt bits that may be of interest....

http://suitesuit.com/the-shirt-guide/?ckattempt=1
Life is too short to listen to s**t music

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: May 28, 2015, 09:57:19 AM »
Here's one addressed especially to Martin; being a fan of 60s tv, he'll surely appreciate this t-shirt Uniqlo's selling for less than 6 pounds:

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #795 on: May 29, 2015, 12:17:04 PM »
I've just discovered this brand (IOU project), that uses authentic indian madras and seems to be a sustainable communal enterprise that has its origins in India. They commission their fabrics from indian craftsmen and make the clothing (hand made, or so they say) in Europe. Not only the project is very interesting -take a look at their website- , some clothes look damned cool. Next are the images I could copy but to me they're not the best checks on offer. What do you think, gents?

Rod

• Style in the Modern World
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: May 29, 2015, 03:00:48 PM »
I haven't really come around to Madras yet. That green blazer might be OK if the price is right, but would much prefer a hot weather jacket to be unlined.

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: May 29, 2015, 03:11:18 PM »
I like the look of madras blazers but I agree they're hard to pull off for, ahem, elder gentlemen. Nonetheless, that unstructured, narrow lapels, natural shoulders, 3 button numbers have an undeniable classic appeal (lining's no problem for me as it seems very light).

Anyway what I'm really liking are the Harringtons and the shorts. None of the IOU Project products are cheap, but they don't seem expensive neither.

Martin G

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: May 29, 2015, 05:43:22 PM »
Blimey GS I am now on the hunt for one of those 66 Batman T shirts now. Thanks for the heads up

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: May 29, 2015, 06:18:18 PM »
you're welcome, Martin, be quick cos' things seem to vanish in the Uniqlo site in a blink.