Author Topic: I'd Wear That...  (Read 457095 times)

Darren

• Just joined
    • View Profile
Re: I'd Wear That...
« Reply #970 on: March 12, 2016, 02:25:05 PM »

Has any one seen or can anyone recommend a decent pair of sunglasses, either on line or on the high street?

Rod

• Style in the Modern World
    • View Profile
« Reply #971 on: March 12, 2016, 03:07:45 PM »

Has any one seen or can anyone recommend a decent pair of sunglasses, either on line or on the high street?

You're going to have to be more specific. I have 24 pairs in my rotation not including those for skiing, running, etc.

Also you have to try them on, like hats. Some might look good in a picture but don't fit your face. I tried some Persol 409s like Steve McQueen made famous and even the smaller size looked huge on me. And my missus reckons I have a large napper. (I gave them to her and they look just fine!!)

The Laird of Enfield

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #972 on: March 12, 2016, 04:23:43 PM »
Sunglasses wi' a cape?

Rod

• View Profile
« Reply #973 on: March 12, 2016, 05:29:17 PM »
You could do worse than Ray Ban Wayfarers. Yeah them and their lookalikes are common but that's for a reason. They look classic and modern at the same time. Match just as well with shorts on the beach as when you're suited and booted, and there are various sizes, colours and lens options available.
I actually prefer the 'New Wayfarer' style. Number 2132 as opposed to 2140. They're a bit narrower and don't have the seven barrel hinges but I reckon they suit my dish a bit better than the originals. Anyway I have three of each!
Get them cheaper on eBay if you want to risk counterfeits, or else eyesave.com usually has them a bit cheaper than retailers.

Red Steve

• ...gettin' long in the tooth.
    • View Profile
« Reply #974 on: March 14, 2016, 10:22:42 AM »
I'm with Rod on this one...you need to try before you buy. That said you can't go far wrong with a pair of these:

Randolph Aviators. Come in a variety of frame and lens colours. I got mine from Adam at Jump the Gun but this seller shows all the various options:

http://www.framesdirect.com/framesfp/Randolph_Engineering-pakfnfn/lb.html

I also like Rayban Clubmaster, but for some reason can't wear Wayfarers as always seem too large. Horses for courses though.

detroitmike

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #975 on: March 14, 2016, 12:16:33 PM »
Speaking of shades... can anyone identify these?

Looking for a pair, frankly I'm surprised PG hasn't done a version (given their Lennon appreciation)...
"War is not the answer, because only love can conquer hate..."

Rod

• View Profile
« Reply #976 on: March 14, 2016, 12:59:18 PM »
Yup I have three pairs of Randolphs - Concorde, Crew Chief (similar teardrop shape but with spring hinges) and the US pilot version with square lenses and straight temple blades which I bought to wear under a helmet but they're not very good above 50 mph as the wind gets underneath and makes your eyes tear up. They're very well made and good value for money. If you buy 'em through their web store wait patiently as they have a sale every few months (next one on Father's Day?) with significant discounts.

I've always been intrigued by those in the Lennon pic so interested to learn what they are called. Pretty sure my Dad had a pair like that when I was a nipper, and think I've seen Weller in a similar pair many years ago too (Style Council period?).
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 01:02:53 PM by Rod »

detroitmike

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #977 on: March 14, 2016, 01:16:19 PM »
I saw Martin Freeman with these in "Rake". The credits say they're "vintage Polo sunglasses" not exactly the same... kind of a cross between Rayban "Olympian" and Berkshire's Savile Row "Sport"...
"War is not the answer, because only love can conquer hate..."

Red Steve

• ...gettin' long in the tooth.
    • View Profile
« Reply #978 on: March 14, 2016, 02:26:35 PM »
and think I've seen Weller in a similar pair many years ago too (Style Council period?).

Yes, a very similar pair, seen here in a still from the Shout to the Top video:

Adam

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #979 on: March 14, 2016, 05:57:06 PM »
Speaking of shades... can anyone identify these?

Looking for a pair, frankly I'm surprised PG hasn't done a version (given their Lennon appreciation)...

Last year I had to sell Mr PG some AO's (same as Randolphs really),  Not sure I've seen him wearing them so it's probably safe to get them out this summer.  Love mine... ;)