Author Topic: I'd Wear That...  (Read 433465 times)

Red Steve

• ...gettin' long in the tooth.
    • View Profile
Re: I'd Wear That...
« Reply #1080 on: June 02, 2016, 01:01:29 PM »
I really really like this. At first I saw the original £399 price tag and thought "What could justify that?" but then I got to thinking about what a silk/cashmere smedley would feel like. Has anyone ever tried one on / bought one to vouch for the sensation? Is it worth £399?

https://www.johnsmedleyoutlet.com/mens-1/mens-final-clearance-771/dunglass-in-teal

I've had a think about this one. I guess it depends on a lot of factors and not just disposable income, but perceived value etc. £400 for a jumper is, to my mind at least, a considerable sum. However, I've spent nearly £100 on a tie when a £10 M&S job would do, over £130 on a polo shirt when a £10 one would do the same, and over £350 on a winter coat when a £50 one would have kept me just as warm and dry.

The same applies to shirts, jeans, trousers, jackets, suits etc etc. What I mean is that we're kind of different to your usual punter who would think a £30 polo shirt was 3 times what he'd pay at Primark etc. I know I spend too much on my clothes as my wife tells me, but I make sacrifices in other areas so I can justify what I buy.

Would I spend £400 on this sweater. No I wouldn't, but that's just because I would look for one in the sale with 50% off or shop around for something similar from another retailer I liked. Would I knock someone who did buy it? Absolutely not. If they have the money and feel it would add something special to their wardrobe, then I'd say go for it.

Rod

• Style in the Modern World
    • View Profile
« Reply #1081 on: June 02, 2016, 01:15:59 PM »
Oh yeah, the point being that we all have our limits as to what we feel we would spend on certain items. Those limits being flexible and subject to change as a result of a complex equation involving factors such as disposable income, need versus want, how rare or tasty an item might be, the likelihood of successfully slipping it by the missus without her noticing, what gap it would fill in the wardrobe and how long we've been lusting after such an item!

I remember the first time I spent more than $20 on a tie and thought I must be mental. I have a few now that we're more than $100! Progress or madness - you decide!

dazlcfc

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: June 02, 2016, 04:40:31 PM »
I really really like this. At first I saw the original £399 price tag and thought "What could justify that?" but then I got to thinking about what a silk/cashmere smedley would feel like. Has anyone ever tried one on / bought one to vouch for the sensation? Is it worth £399?

https://www.johnsmedleyoutlet.com/mens-1/mens-final-clearance-771/dunglass-in-teal

I've had a think about this one. I guess it depends on a lot of factors and not just disposable income, but perceived value etc. £400 for a jumper is, to my mind at least, a considerable sum. However, I've spent nearly £100 on a tie when a £10 M&S job would do, over £130 on a polo shirt when a £10 one would do the same, and over £350 on a winter coat when a £50 one would have kept me just as warm and dry.

The same applies to shirts, jeans, trousers, jackets, suits etc etc. What I mean is that we're kind of different to your usual punter who would think a £30 polo shirt was 3 times what he'd pay at Primark etc. I know I spend too much on my clothes as my wife tells me, but I make sacrifices in other areas so I can justify what I buy.

Would I spend £400 on this sweater. No I wouldn't, but that's just because I would look for one in the sale with 50% off or shop around for something similar from another retailer I liked. Would I knock someone who did buy it? Absolutely not. If they have the money and feel it would add something special to their wardrobe, then I'd say go for it.

At that price I'd frame it and put it on my wall.
Not stuck in the 60's

The Laird of Enfield

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #1083 on: June 03, 2016, 12:50:47 AM »

At that price ah'd jist wear it indoors n' constantly fondle ma moobs thru the fabric.

Nah.......too dear fur a jumper.  Mibbe via a sale outlet if it had 50% off.

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1084 on: June 03, 2016, 10:16:20 AM »
Sometimes the mixing of a sound financial situation and a capricious temperament may be a dangerous weapon. That said, I have my own limits; for instance, I wouldn't usually spend more than say 130 € in a knitwear number or a shirt, and with few gaps in my wardbrobe the risk of mindless purchasing decreases. Cashmere has a gorgeous soft touch but IMO that doesn't justifies the price tags (besides there are italian brands that offer cheaper, and quality, cashmere sweaters). If you are ready to spend that money, why not  do it in style with this roll neck?, it's just 800 €: 8)

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1085 on: June 03, 2016, 10:22:41 AM »
Back to the track...

Barena unusual (not BD) popover:

JCrew henley:

And Michael Kors top:

Trotsky

• Ah yeah
    • View Profile
« Reply #1086 on: June 03, 2016, 10:00:41 PM »

At that price ah'd jist wear it indoors n' constantly fondle ma moobs thru the fabric.

Nah.......too dear fur a jumper.  Mibbe via a sale outlet if it had 50% off.

Laird, that was exactly my thinking regarding the fondling. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one.   ;D
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 10:11:33 PM by Trotsky »
Life is too short to listen to s**t music

Leer R.

• View Profile
    • Männergarderobe
« Reply #1087 on: June 05, 2016, 05:44:43 AM »
Folks, that stuff arrived... The Seersucker job is really nice, but slightly boxy in the back. Well, not much of a problem, this isn't a tailored job. Sleeves are slightly long, too. All in all it looks pretty nice.

Shorts are very good, and yes - I do have some pleated trousers. If you look through my blog, you will find some stuff ;) - good enough for James Bond, goo enough for me ;)

T-shirt is cotton pique`, very nice! And the chambray jacket is super cool - not really Mod, but really really well done. Looks pretty cool...

I will blog about that stuff when I have the time!

http://maennergarderobe.blogspot.co.at/2016/06/ein-veritabler-kaufrausch-bei-uniqlo.html

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1088 on: June 05, 2016, 09:02:10 AM »
Like the look of these pleated shorts, Leer, but for some reason pleated trousers look very wrong in me, maybe pleats and slender frames don't get on too well  8), Bond apart (he's got more muscles after all) . The rest is (almost) classic stuff with a reasonable price tag. Glad you're happy with it.

Leer R.

• View Profile
    • Männergarderobe
« Reply #1089 on: June 06, 2016, 07:47:50 PM »
Like the look of these pleated shorts, Leer, but for some reason pleated trousers look very wrong in me, maybe pleats and slender frames don't get on too well  8), Bond apart (he's got more muscles after all) . The rest is (almost) classic stuff with a reasonable price tag. Glad you're happy with it.
A first wearing pic is in the WAYW thread...