Author Topic: I'd Wear That...  (Read 457179 times)

Red Steve

• ...gettin' long in the tooth.
    • View Profile
Re: I'd Wear That...
« Reply #1140 on: September 07, 2016, 02:35:40 PM »
The Jaxton hats mention by Steve a couple of months ago are good value . .

Indeed they are Simon. Wore mine quite a bit on holiday. Apologies for the PG "T" but I've had it a while and it's ok for knocking around in  :-[

detroitmike

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: September 07, 2016, 03:53:26 PM »
https://www.newyorkhatco.com/product/251

I've got one similar to this only in a camel colour.

Wear hats/caps a lot now.
I'm a part time hat wearer  ;) but that's a nice one Woody. I've a Panama and grey wool Fedora from this company, It's a good value for the money...
"War is not the answer, because only love can conquer hate..."

DrGonzo2411

• Dressing fine and making time.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: September 07, 2016, 08:16:58 PM »
A thumbs up from me for all the hats, gents. I've been hankering after one for a while, just not found the right one. Not sure a hat is something you can buy 'on spec', needs to be tried on. Will be visiting my local M&S to see if any of those two fine samples sidney posted 'speak to me'!
36/33 waist/leg, 46 chest, 10 shoe/boot

Rod

• Style in the Modern World
    • View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: September 07, 2016, 08:24:18 PM »
You are spot on in your assumption. Hat sizes seem to vary widely and one that looks great in a picture might not look anywhere near as good perched on your pyet. You really need to try them on. I recently got a nice sage green Panama from JJs Hat Centre in New York. I went in intending to buy a different colour but this one was better. Plus they came in two brim sizes/styles and one looked much better on me than the other, even though side by side there didn't seem to be much difference. Anyway good luck on the search, the world needs more hat wearers!

claudio

• Just joined
    • View Profile
    • Dna Manifattura Italiana
« Reply #1144 on: September 08, 2016, 10:48:37 AM »
Well, maybe I wouldn't wear this, as I don't usually do headwear, but maybe some gents here will appreciate these couple new hats from M&S, as they certainly nail the early 60s look and are well priced:

First a trilby with narrow brim

And the equally classic pork pie hat:

Doesn't it put people off the fact that these hats are now being made and worn by evryone and their brothers? I do not like these particular ones to be honest, but this 'craze' has been around and around, and made me 'move on',  mainly far away. The panama ones are ok although again, everywhere you look they are worn and sold, from sleezy summer vacation spots like LLoret de Mar to Blackpool. I am fully aware that one is to wear something that one feels comfortable in and should not care what pubblic think or wear etc etc fashions chnage style is for ever bla bla  .... But where has the individuality gone? Sorry gents having a bit of a moment and so apologiese (not aimed at anyone), but where is the 'coolness' in wearing the same exact 10 hat a 15 year old wears to his local dance party, or sporting the same hair cut as hundreds of other punters at a national rally (cough wellercut cough cough),  flinging a tootal scarf over your fred perry polo and desert boots and think 'right, I'm now sorted'? All these items (except the zara 10 bob plasticy wool hat) are fine individually, or maybe matched with different garments, or worn with variating looks, and a weller cut can be acceptable if one is very sussed and stylish etc ... but you put all these items together on one individual, and it's hurts my teeth! 

claudio

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: September 08, 2016, 11:12:43 AM »
another scenario: the Fred Perry tennis polo top worn in hot climes! This is an especially 'lazy' piece of garment in it's classic form per se, but it's the single most 'summer' garment that is everything BUT cool, in the sense that it instantly makes you sweaty, unconfortable, sticky, smelly and just generally wrong wrong wrong for summer (same goes for jeans in summer heat). BUT, because it's considered 'mod' then all's well and acceptable (and at the same time a perfectly stylish and cool - in all sense - LINEN shirt is a no no "because it creases")?

Example: I recently saw a photo of two youngish (for this day and age, about 28yrs old) mods who consider themselves movers and groovers of the scene (not saying which country) and which indeed when kitted out in eveningwear are always very elegant, but when casual are often in plain standard fred perry (or lacoste or penguin or whatever), denims cut short with a sewn in turn over, and adidas trainers or something along those lines.  How can someone so elegant and smart in the evening go to being so plain and un immaginative during the day (this is at a rally)? Why is it that one needs to 'identify' with a certain look at all costs, not wanting to 'risk' not being recognised as a 'mod'. Why not just wear a lovely stylish unmarked shirt, summer smart shorts, and summer loafers, shoes whathave you  (plenty of these items out there for all pockets so no excuses)? Only becasue they are not instantly recognisable as 'mod' then they are often disgarded, and this in my humble opinion is loosing the point of it all. Remember the 'keep them guessing' thing the originals (and many in the 80s) were doing, how once something caught on with the mainstream (mods or atherwise) it was left for something new or different the next week (or so the legend goes)? Where has that ethos gone I ask?

claudio

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: September 08, 2016, 11:16:30 AM »
luckily it's not all like this and there are plenty of refreshing and interesting looks about, many on this very forum (Greenstreet you seem to always look for new, left of field stuff and always interesting to see how you dress so again, these posts are not amied at you just because you mentioned that ugly as zara hat :) )
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 11:18:33 AM by claudio »

Red Steve

• ...gettin' long in the tooth.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: September 08, 2016, 12:18:12 PM »
You raise some valid points (as usual Claudio).

I guess some of it could do with age, and maybe disposable income too?  I have 2 FP polo's in my wardrobe, but haven't worn either this Summer having found some nicer alternatives such as the Portuguese maker La Paz and the traditional  British Sunspel neither of which carry any branding. I'm a big fan of linen and have picked up a few shirts earlier this year which have seen a lot of wear :

I also have one of your linen shirts and a jacket both of which I love, despite my initial fear of creasing, and again they have seen a lot of use during our short Summer months.

I don't own any trainers (Adidas or other brands) but have a couple of pairs of canvas "pumps" for when the need arises, such as the all day festival I attended last weekend (worn with a pair of your shorts I hasten to add). I did consider loafers but felt that being leather, they could have been ruined in the mud. Canvas was the way to go as I just threw them in the washing machine the following day. If they were wrecked it wouldn't have been a big loss.

Again, cut down denim shorts are something I've never entertained.

Personally I find dressing "smarter" for evenings out or business attire is easier for me, than the "casual" daytime or weekend vibe, and maybe the younger guys opt for the "safe" option of Fred Perry and trainers and the like.  For me it was something I did wear as a teenager, so can see that maybe things haven't really moved on in that respect?

Anyway, off out now and think this jacket could be appropriate  ;)

claudio

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: September 08, 2016, 01:37:48 PM »
LOL (the jacket at the end)!

Not a matter of money as there is an (over) availability of cheap everything that looks nice (well, much better than a bog standard FT top, croped denim and adis). Thats actually what I'm on about: many prefer a uniform rather than not be instantly recognisable as a mod, and a uniform goes against what Modernism was and is about, and that is totally missing the point, especially if you are meant to be as sussed as these 2 fellers should be. Of course the opposite also holds true, people who are wearing great looking clothes but with totally bad taste/fit/size/match etc

detroitmike

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: September 08, 2016, 01:56:12 PM »
Well, Steve, let me check my closet, i think i can beat your jacket ;)

Anyway... I agree with the idea that "evening wear" is easier to put together than something you wear to a festival or rally...although was the evening attire the usual suspect "mod" staples Claudio, or was it more " adventurous"?
Also, I'd cut them some slack because of their age, too. A guy in his 20's can get away with that FP/cutoff look easier than when you get into your 30's, 40's, 50's +... At that point your casual wear should really be more refined. I know the photos of people my age at scooter rallies in FP and parkas always send a shiver.

Now, about the much maligned Weller cut....
I was in London once for a week, so I saw a lot of those (in the states, they are very rare), and think the problem with those are the majority of them are badly executed (I,on the other hand, have a good one, which I've sported on and off since being a teenager, and will give up when nature inevitably takes it course! ;D ), and again "accessorized" by the usual textbook mod items (FP's Tootals, parkas... all worn simultaneously)
"War is not the answer, because only love can conquer hate..."