Author Topic: I'd Wear That...  (Read 436651 times)

Simon Bond

• Is it me for a moment . .
    • View Profile
Re: I'd Wear That...
« Reply #1160 on: September 10, 2016, 06:47:49 AM »
That is totally understood , Rod . I only wanted to point that out . .
I wont make any deals with you , I've resigned. .
I wont be pushed, filed , stamped , indexed , briefed , debriefed OR NUMBERED!

claudio

• Just joined
    • View Profile
    • Dna Manifattura Italiana
« Reply #1161 on: September 10, 2016, 10:25:23 AM »
I was a real state too when I started off (and that is why I never comment on youngsters that just start off although with todays internet there one should start off with the right step as information is there) so not interested if someone was an indie kid a year before and is now sporting the best (IMO) and only hair cut in the EU scene! He was sussed enough to dig back and pick out a small but impressive detail no one else currently did. Fair play, well spotted. By the way this one person has never purchased nothing from me so as to proove I am not necessarily refering to my label in this whole rant).

Fair point about wearing whatever you like regardless if it has become mainstream, but I guess I have always strived to be 'away from the numbers' (and of course that's why I am an entrapeneur and design my own clothes, this is a natural feeling for me) and so I think this 'mass' irritates me (of course to a certain degree) more than it would others. 

Somehow back to the thread, that last Armour Lux knit is lovely, unique and again would choose this one over the 'standards' any day.

Martin G

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #1162 on: September 11, 2016, 02:22:39 PM »
I know we've seemed to have gone off thread a bit so apologise but there are some very valid comments and observations made by Rod, Claudio and Simon. I agree that many of the events I attend do have some of the most shocking looking people you will ever likely to see but most all of them are lovely, kind hearted folk who just seem happy and pleased to be in like-minded company enjoying something they love a great deal. They are polite and friendly to women in our company and almost always offer me a handshake and an "'ello mate, how you doin'? Not seen you since...." type of thing. However as Rod comments many do give the impression I used to have as a kid in the 1970s of middle-aged Teddy Boys. They looked like members of SHOWADDYWADDY with terrible charicatured hairstyles and daft brothel creepers. But do they mean any harm? No of course not so let them get on with it if that is what suits them. I agree with Claudio, and as mentioned myself, it is not how long someone has been into a scene of any nature but more how committed they are and in tune or sussed to how it all works that matters.

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1163 on: September 11, 2016, 03:01:12 PM »
Of course, I don't think any of us had the least aim to imply that the so-called identikit mods can't be decent fellas! They can dress as they like as far as I'm concerned, god bless them (most people have less clues of style than them, anyway), it's just not my sartorial path.

I try to think outside the "tribe" or "herd" mentality (call it as you like) but inside my frames of reference and tastes (that is, 60s aand late 50s related clobber). That's why I'm on a constant search of unusual garments that still have a link to a common dress style. As many folks here, I prefer no-logo pieces, but if I like them enough the logo won't be an obstacle.

And yes, maybe a FP polo or a button down shirt are mainstream now, but it doesn't detract a iota from their beauty as classic designs (and if you're in the know you'll get the details right, and just by this you'll stand apart from the crowd).

That said, Claudio's approach is much more interesting to me than the umpteenth pic of a guy sporting a FP polo  8)

DrGonzo2411

• Dressing fine and making time.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #1164 on: September 11, 2016, 03:25:17 PM »
One thing to be said of the 'identikit' look is that it is easy (lazy might be a tad harsh), for want of a better word. Polo, jeans, dessies, scarf, the only thought is what colour. I'd suggest none of us on here get it 100% right all the time, but my own view is that's because we're trying, to a greater of lesser degree, to stand out from the herd and not look like everybody else. I'd also argue that that is becoming harder to achieve as what we once saw as staples of the modernist alone are now becoming ubiquitous on the high street. As such, what differentiates the truly sussed from the rest is the little details, and they can be tricky to nail every time. I'd also concur that going down the 'comedy' route does not make you a bad person. Some of the nicest lads (is it just me, or do modernist ladies tend to get it right 99% of the time?) I've met on the scene here look a right sight, but their demeanour is such that you give them a bye-ball. Ultimately, it's whatever makes you happy, there really aren't any rules!!
36/33 waist/leg, 46 chest, 10 shoe/boot

claudio

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #1165 on: September 11, 2016, 04:27:07 PM »
This surely has to do with the 'esthetics' part and not human/personal behaviour, which of course is the most important thing when you are in a 'community' if you will, so defenitely goes without saying that a polite, friendly person is much more desireable than one who isn't. But let's face it, for someone like me that goes out maybe once a month, more likely once every two, I have friendly, polite, fun loving friends everyweekend when I meet my locals friends outside the scene. But regardless of this, I still dress the way I do and so my clothing choices (and thus opinions and personal critiques) still stand regardless if I am at a do or not. If I go to the beach locally with family and friends  who havent a clue of Mod I still choose items which I like and avoid the choices I dislike. This is however a forum where we discuss clothes and compare and contrast different views and tastes., different from laughing at someone in a club or behaving rudely or shaming. That said I think personal esthetic eliteism (this means being hard on one self and not disrespecting any one else in the process) in Mod, Modernism or post that (as is my case) is necessary and even natural. I tell you, plenty of those ill dressed men are themselves elitists in a way with work collegues that listen to Jay Z or wear Nikes instead of listening to The Snake andwearing bowling shoes.  Where does it end?   

claudio

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #1166 on: September 11, 2016, 04:32:49 PM »
On a final note, surely one can opinionate that a certain hat style is 'old' or a target shirt is a clichè without the risk of being seen as an elitist (although no one has called anyone that in this specific thread, we all know it's a common issue in the scene). Again, where is the limit to free style/clothing analysis and critique? As long as it's polite and un offensive, there shouldn't be any IMO.

Martin G

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #1167 on: September 11, 2016, 04:57:38 PM »
Agree all the way with you guys comments and sentiment too. For me I'd rather comment on how great someone looks or how nice an item of clothing is and simply avoid saying something looks bad or someone dresses poorly or not to my taste. It kind of goes back to the old adage "If you ain't got something nice to say just say nothing at all" however we are all grown ups and broad shouldered so critique or an unabashed observation shouldn't send someone off in tears. To get us back on track I often wear a Fred Perry Polo shirt and have a couple of their zipper 'Monkey' type jackets too. However I do not live and die by the brand. I have worn things from NEXT, MARKS AND SPENCER too along with JUMP THE GUN, BEN SHERMAN along with charity shops, ETSY and eBay so for me it's all good. In terms of headwear I don't really 'do' hats. I have however a couple of 'Dexy' style wool hats for cold weather as well as a Ivy style back buckle cap for the rain but that's as far as it goes for me.

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1168 on: September 11, 2016, 05:09:45 PM »
Agree all the way with you guys comments and sentiment too. For me I'd rather comment on how great someone looks or how nice an item of clothing is and simply avoid saying something looks bad or someone dresses poorly or not to my taste. It kind of goes back to the old adage "If you ain't got something nice to say just say nothing at all" however we are all grown ups and broad shouldered so critique or an unabashed observation shouldn't send someone off in tears. To get us back on track I often wear a Fred Perry Polo shirt and have a couple of their zipper 'Monkey' type jackets too. However I do not live and die by the brand. I have worn things from NEXT, MARKS AND SPENCER too along with JUMP THE GUN, BEN SHERMAN along with charity shops, ETSY and eBay so for me it's all good. In terms of headwear I don't really 'do' hats. I have however a couple of 'Dexy' style wool hats for cold weather as well as a Ivy style back buckle cap for the rain but that's as far as it goes for me.

Amen to this, but I share Claudio's viewpoint too re. no limits to the criticism of style/clothing. Among other reasons (like having a good time with similar tastes' mates), I'm here to learn about music, books, style and clothes. I don't mind constructive criticism about what I'm wearing, for instance,of course if it's polite and well reasoned. I won't agree most of the times  ;D, but it can be useful.

Rod

• Style in the Modern World
    • View Profile
« Reply #1169 on: September 11, 2016, 08:03:00 PM »
As one of the more regular pic posters on here I'll add that I think the 'mood' of this forum is absolutely top drawer. If you're wise you come in knowing that even within the broad Mod framework, not everyone is going to appreciate your particular take on things. That said, I tend to get mostly compliments on here and if its done in a creative way it can really make your day that someone 'out there' appreciates your effort or gets what you l've tried to achieve with a certain combination of items or outfit. Still, sometimes you learn more from the criticism than the compliments, especially if, again, they are expressed creatively.

On a completely different message board my blog got savaged by some fella who clearly had viewed it inside out, and yet clearly wasn't impressed with me and/or the Mod look. It puzzles me why someone would spend so much time surfing a blog he clearly wasn't impressed or interested in, then went elsewhere to have a dig. That's like me spending hours and hours on some civil war re-enacting site or whatever, then coming on here to say what a crap job they were doing!