Author Topic: I'd Wear That...  (Read 468336 times)

detroitmike

• Just joined
    • View Profile
Re: I'd Wear That...
« Reply #1290 on: December 02, 2016, 03:56:01 PM »
Looks nice Syd and sorts Art Gallery-ish. I've had an eye on something similar from AG but waiting for the price to drop!
FYI Rod (an any other non UK residents). I just bought a shirt from AG, And they refunded my VAT after I sent them a note. They said the website will be fixed in the new year to avoid those of us in the states from being charged the VAT...
"War is not the answer, because only love can conquer hate..."

Rod

• Style in the Modern World
    • View Profile
« Reply #1291 on: December 02, 2016, 04:09:16 PM »
Good lookin out there DM - ta!

Simon Bond

• Is it me for a moment . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: December 02, 2016, 07:18:06 PM »
Looks nice Syd and sorts Art Gallery-ish. I've had an eye on something similar from AG but waiting for the price to drop!
FYI Rod (an any other non UK residents). I just bought a shirt from AG, And they refunded my VAT after I sent them a note. They said the website will be fixed in the new year to avoid those of us in the states from being charged the VAT...

. .now if there was a way that we could avoid import duty on U.S . goods. .
I wont make any deals with you , I've resigned. .
I wont be pushed, filed , stamped , indexed , briefed , debriefed OR NUMBERED!

detroitmike

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #1293 on: December 03, 2016, 12:33:55 PM »

I'm not sure what happened lately, but a year or 2 back, I was slapped with US Customs on a couple of Adam orders and the odd scooter part I needed... all of a sudden that stopped?? But since then, I haven't had had to pay it  :o... either something has changed, or I'm just having a run of luck...

Rod

• View Profile
« Reply #1294 on: December 03, 2016, 01:16:19 PM »
I hate that bollocks. Like paying baggage fees at the airport.
I've been mostly lucky, I think shoes I've bought from Meermin and Carmina I got busted for about $35 on each by Fedex for import duty but that's all I can remember.

Simon Bond

• Is it me for a moment . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #1295 on: December 03, 2016, 02:18:41 PM »

I'm not sure what happened lately, but a year or 2 back, I was slapped with US Customs on a couple of Adam orders and the odd scooter part I needed... all of a sudden that stopped?? But since then, I haven't had had to pay it  :o... either something has changed, or I'm just having a run of luck...

Almost the reverse here , Mike. As long as the item had "gift" written on it you were quids in . Then my kids got items form their aunt in NY state and despite having gift on them , we got hammered with import duty and they genuinely were gifts. Not long after that I got hit with import duty on vitamins that worked out to be half the value of my item , so after that no more. .

Perhaps it will change when we leave Eur*pe. .
I wont make any deals with you , I've resigned. .
I wont be pushed, filed , stamped , indexed , briefed , debriefed OR NUMBERED!

Rod

• View Profile
« Reply #1296 on: December 03, 2016, 02:49:18 PM »
Aye, I've sent clothes home for my nieces which cost $20 per outfit and got hammered for postage then the post office held my brother to ransom for import duties which all ended up being more than the original cost. I told him from then on I'll just send them checks I'm not throwing money away like that.

detroitmike

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #1297 on: December 05, 2016, 12:51:07 PM »
OUch!
Sorry to hear this, folks  :(
Now I feel almost embarrassed for making an issue out of it to the AG people...
I've noticed that certain sellers do use the "gift" excuse when they fill out the customs declaration, a very few will pick up the import duty (one comes to mind), hopefully something will change on your side soon.
If it's any consultation, it costs me at least twice as much to mail a return to the UK, than the postage coming here...(ex: $30 or 23.60 to send a single shirt back?!)

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1298 on: December 06, 2016, 04:22:37 PM »
OUch!
Sorry to hear this, folks  :(
Now I feel almost embarrassed for making an issue out of it to the AG people...
I've noticed that certain sellers do use the "gift" excuse when they fill out the customs declaration, a very few will pick up the import duty (one comes to mind), hopefully something will change on your side soon.
If it's any consultation, it costs me at least twice as much to mail a return to the UK, than the postage coming here...(ex: $30 or 23.60 to send a single shirt back?!)

Definitely, the "gift" trick doesn't work here in Spain either, customs policy is harder now, we're collecting money for Mrs. Merkel, I guess.

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1299 on: December 06, 2016, 04:44:26 PM »
A couple of nice numbers: 

AMI top:

Bottega Veneta polo:

I wouldn't doubt pulling the trigger on the top one, but not at its actual price (320 ). The 2nd one is totally out of reach (500 )