Author Topic: I'd Wear That...  (Read 457909 times)

Martin G

• Just joined
    • View Profile
Re: I'd Wear That...
« Reply #1360 on: February 11, 2017, 07:56:36 PM »
Cheers mate. I am really excited to see the book as a whole too. Tony was determined this book wasn't just a rehash of the first and wanted a variety of different slants on the whole Mod thing and I was asked to come aboard which was quite flattering. I've written about TV and film  for close to thirty years now as well as contributing to a number of books and projects on The Jam and The Beatles as well as London too so this opportunity was a real marriage of all of my interests.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 07:58:24 PM by Martin G »

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1361 on: February 14, 2017, 10:44:19 AM »
Now this is an oddity. Gant Rugger are making a batch of shirts inspired in Bob Dylan's mid-60s look (his "mod" phase of sorts). Besides a fairly conventional (irregular) polka dots BD shirts, there are 2 or 3 shirts more with these strange collars -kind of a weird tab collar- that Dylan himself wore in 1966. I know there's a small british clothing company that's been making a shirt along these lines for quite some time, but they're much more expensive. Truth is I'm not sure I like them, I'd like to see the effect with a tie.

Rod

• Style in the Modern World
    • View Profile
« Reply #1362 on: February 14, 2017, 11:43:25 AM »
 Nah - looks like a bad gimmick to me - a lame attempt to do something whacky and different that doesn't work. I'm reminded of Jeff Goldblum in 'Jurassic Park': 'We were in such a hurry to prove that we COULD, nobody stopped to wonder if we SHOULD'!

detroitmike

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #1363 on: February 14, 2017, 12:02:27 PM »
Interesting style for Gant to resurrect there, GS... definitely a unique look.  8)

After looking at the Gant site, I see they're going to the "micro collar" BD look... that's far more disturbing!
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 12:11:51 PM by detroitmike »
"War is not the answer, because only love can conquer hate..."

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1364 on: February 14, 2017, 03:58:46 PM »
Interesting style for Gant to resurrect there, GS... definitely a unique look.  8)

After looking at the Gant site, I see they're going to the "micro collar" BD look... that's far more disturbing!

Cheers, Mike, it's the kind of shirt I would (& maybe I do) grab come the next sales, just to see if it works for me.

Re, the micro collars, it's a plague! Just a couple days ago, I was in a department store and saw a beautiful shirt, cheap as chips and with all the right details (even the unusual "V" effect at the back of the collar), only to be ruined by a 2 fingers' collar. It's even worse when manufacturers as Gant, renowned for their classic BD shirts, fall in the "fashion" trap.  >:(

Steve McKing

• "Life is too short to wear s**t clothes"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1365 on: February 14, 2017, 04:34:16 PM »
...it's a 1000000% no from me.

The Laird of Enfield

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #1366 on: February 14, 2017, 07:49:36 PM »

Ah've never found Dylan remotely cool n' that shirt jist proves the point.

Wouldnae want yin ay them shirts if they wur gaun fur free.

dazlcfc

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #1367 on: February 15, 2017, 10:49:00 AM »
Great music, awful shirt.
Not stuck in the 60's

Adam

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #1368 on: February 15, 2017, 03:09:28 PM »
Love this combo.

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1369 on: February 15, 2017, 04:14:45 PM »
Zara's done it again, folks! Seemingly, they've rescued their retro designer from hybernation to provide us again (remember last year's batch?) with some 60s-inspired niceties for our spring wardrobe at an affordable price. My picks:

This cycling top is the only one I've seen in the flesh, and it looks nicer than the S/S 2016 one:

And my favourite: a trekkie-ish top that would make proud the entire Enterprise's crew and our beloved Thunderbirds' team: