Author Topic: I'd Wear That...  (Read 468363 times)

Rod

• Style in the Modern World
    • View Profile
Re: I'd Wear That...
« Reply #1400 on: February 24, 2017, 09:48:54 PM »
Good points fellas.
I may get slaughtered for this but I've never found traditional female Mod gear to be remotely attractive. Wooly tights, tweed skirts, Maryjane shoes (is there any less flattering footwear? Maybe wellies?) granny cardies, twin sets, etc.
The girls in the second half of the sixties looked much better IMO - that Natalie Delon / Bardot / Marissa Meil look of long blonde hair with a fringe, short skirts and long boots is hard to beat!

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1401 on: February 25, 2017, 11:34:17 AM »
I'm with Martin on this, balance is needed at a certain age, no need to embarass oneself. The "under the radar" look works for me. I have to differ from Trotsky's argument, tho': what's the sense in straying so far of classic clothes that you can't even recognize the style as "mod"!? You have to work sartorially speaking within a given frame, otherwise it isn't mod anymore and it doesn't belong here. What's "the radical end of the fashion's spectrum", anyway?

To get back on track, I find very nice some breton tops in the ss Armor Lux collection, for instance:

claudio

• Just joined
    • View Profile
    • Dna Manifattura Italiana
« Reply #1402 on: March 01, 2017, 04:28:44 PM »
Now this is an oddity. Gant Rugger are making a batch of shirts inspired in Bob Dylan's mid-60s look (his "mod" phase of sorts). Besides a fairly conventional (irregular) polka dots BD shirts, there are 2 or 3 shirts more with these strange collars -kind of a weird tab collar- that Dylan himself wore in 1966. I know there's a small british clothing company that's been making a shirt along these lines for quite some time, but they're much more expensive. Truth is I'm not sure I like them, I'd like to see the effect with a tie.

pure coincidence I am making the same style collar (bigger) in the upcomming DE ROSSI range  ... they were all the rage in the teens and twenties 

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/dnagroove/media/15401161_1362433240467740_4452879018724700116_n-2.jpg.html

This is a first sample done up last december

Watching your sample's pics, Claudio, the tie knot seems to protrude too much from the collar, but I think they could look nice with vintage ties, you know, the typical early 60s ties with diminutive knots, or just buttoned up and no tie (as Dylan). I didn't know that shirts were in vogue in the roaring 20s, it would be nice to see period images. BTW, does someone knows the name of the collar?

DOn't know what it was called then, and yes indeed the tie is best if it is soft unlined (this was pulled out more to expose the details of the tab) - I have advertisements of the early 20's of it from where I got the idea

Trotsky

• Ah yeah
    • View Profile
« Reply #1403 on: March 03, 2017, 08:33:04 AM »
An interesting take on a button down but I have to say that this style looks better without a tie. The tie coming out of the hole looks very much like something toilet related to me. And not in a good way.
Life is too short to listen to s**t music

DrGonzo2411

• Dressing fine and making time.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #1404 on: March 04, 2017, 01:11:55 PM »
Nice bretons, sidney, particularly like the middle one

Claudio's button downs will work with a slim tie and small knot, Trotsky, but I take your point!  ;)
36/33 waist/leg, 46 chest, 10 shoe/boot

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1405 on: March 08, 2017, 12:00:12 PM »
I really like these AMI zip collar wool jumpers, I wouldn't mind wearing the orange one in particular. But 320 ?  :-\

The Laird of Enfield

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #1406 on: March 08, 2017, 08:37:28 PM »
Good points fellas.
I may get slaughtered for this but I've never found traditional female Mod gear to be remotely attractive. Wooly tights, tweed skirts, Maryjane shoes (is there any less flattering footwear? Maybe wellies?) granny cardies, twin sets, etc.
The girls in the second half of the sixties looked much better IMO - that Natalie Delon / Bardot / Marissa Meil look of long blonde hair with a fringe, short skirts and long boots is hard to beat!

Jist you wear whit ye like and dinnae worry yir pretty little head whit the others oan here think.

;D

The Laird of Enfield

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #1407 on: March 24, 2017, 03:06:26 PM »
Oliver Sweeney huv this nice suede jaiket.

Pricey tho' at 499.

Might be worth gaun back tae take a look when they huv thir next sale.

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1408 on: March 24, 2017, 04:21:32 PM »
The side pockets ruin it for me, especially at those prices.

The Laird of Enfield

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #1409 on: March 24, 2017, 05:57:10 PM »
Ah need those pockets tae stash ma emergency porridge spoon & spurtle.